Jump to content
3DXChat Community

World chat is a cesspool. Chat Mods Please?


Recommended Posts

Sorry but it's a fact. Sometimes it gets so bad it's embarrassing. I'm not really here online so much now post-covid - just when the fancy takes me - but Every. Single. Time that I'm here WC is an abomination of attitude and resentment.

I like being here - and sometimes I think about getting a person I'm interested in into this place - but honestly? I wouldn't invite anyone else here. I wouldn't want to be a streamer trying to promote the game (which I love). So much bigotry and - i dunno maybe RAGE is the best word for it. Someone says something spiteful and triggers 2 others - who then trigger 2 more and suddenly its just walls of hate and misery spoiling the whole frikking experience.

 

Is there any way to call a mod to give it some attention? I don't want to be that person that screenshots and reports. Most of it is just cringeworthy but it goes on for HOURS and frikkin HOURs and - I KNOW people will say "heyjust block them!" but the trouble is noone else can start a conversation about anything else. World Chat is destroyed as a means of communication. Most sensible people are avoiding it which means there's no point me trying to use it, even if I block all the screamers.

I understand people have personal issues and I understand people come to 3DX to offload but seriously seriously World Chat is appaling and people need to be slapped out of there.

Is there any way to get some chat mods? 

Edited by Tracer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Tracer changed the title to World chat is a cesspool. Chat Mods Please?

i totally agree with you... racism, sexism, calling people names, attacking the person not the idea they express, even threats... sometimes looks like some teens who just learn to slur come to world chat to express their rage just to feel better on the other player's skin... so sad...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

World Chat is disgusting in its current stage but I don't think its a reason to have moderators.

Why? Because its either hired moderators - which means spending money and I am not sure a small company like SGD can afford these expenses... and even if they can - better spend those money for additional assets for the game... 
Or... if its not hired mods - its mods from the players. Which means some players will have a power to mute/ban others which almost 100% will lead to power abuse at some point. Better cancerous world chat than power abuse because its very easy to avoid WC and not so easy to avoid power abuse if you are end up in conflict with some mod.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

14 minutes ago, Xizi said:

World Chat is disgusting in its current stage but I don't think its a reason to have moderators.

Why? Because its either hired moderators - which means spending money and I am not sure a small company like SGD can afford these expenses... and even if they can - better spend those money for additional assets for the game... 
Or... if its not hired mods - its mods from the players. Which means some players will have a power to mute/ban others which almost 100% will lead to power abuse at some point. Better cancerous world chat than power abuse because its very easy to avoid WC and not so easy to avoid power abuse if you are end up in conflict with some mod.

Well I think a mod team would themselves need to be picked carefully of course.

Ultimately its about who lands the role of lead mod and keeps them in check - but there are plenty of forums that manage moderation just fine. No system is perfect but right now we have nothing. even someone with a "mute" button and a "Rule 1: Don't be a dick" rulebook would be better than nothing.

Personally I think for a chat like 3dx the toxic spam is an even bigger problem than onan average game website - because the content and context of what we're doing here is so intimate and sensitive. Theres a lot of extremely toxic sex-based hate going on while people are trying to hook up and have a lovely time. Talk about killing the mood!

If not mods - then maybe like an upvote / downvote system?.. if like 20 people downvote a comment a person gets muted for 20 minutes or something..

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, MeiLing said:

Best mod ever: iggy button

 

4 hours ago, Tracer said:

 

 - I KNOW people will say "hey just block them!" but the trouble is noone else can start a conversation about anything else. World Chat is destroyed as a means of communication. Most sensible people are avoiding it which means there's no point me trying to use it, even if I block all the screamers.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

World chat is like driving by a gruesome car accident.   You know not to look, but you can't just close your eyes.

I am a big believer in free speech.  You write what you want, but I don't have to read it.  Knowing up front that someone is toxic makes it easy to click ignore. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, JackPine said:

I am a big believer in free speech.  You write what you want, but I don't have to read it.  Knowing up front that someone is toxic makes it easy to click ignore.

The 'Free Speech' argument gets brought up a lot. Funny thing is, most of the time when someone crows about Free Speech. They don't actually want free speech.
They just want to be able to say whatever they want, Free from Consequence.

As for looking away, that is true.
But the way the game is set up, you literally can't.
World Chat is the default Chat Pane when opening the game.
 

If we can't have Moderation, then at the very least we should have the option to definitively Opt Out.
Give us a toggle; 'Do not Display World Chat at game start.'
That would solve a LOT of issues right there.

Edited by Derai
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Derai said:

If we can't have Moderation, then at the very least we should have the option to definitively Opt Out.
Give us a toggle; 'Do not Display World Chat at game start.'
That would solve a LOT of issues right there.

This!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I was a Director at SexGame Devil I would be concerned at the risk to the company for provisioning a platform that allows hate speech and bullying.  That's assuming of course that the player contracts don't completely mitigate the company from any responsibility, and even then it's questionable if such a mitigation would be entirely possible.

Luckily I am not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Leopardus said:

If I was a Director at SexGame Devil I would be concerned at the risk to the company for provisioning a platform that allows hate speech and bullying.  That's assuming of course that the player contracts don't completely mitigate the company from any responsibility, and even then it's questionable if such a mitigation would be entirely possible.

Luckily I am not.

That assumes they even remember they HAVE a game running in the first place.
Which sometimes, it feels like they don't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think those advocating for Opt out" kind of miss the point: Global chat is a feature that when it works is a great way for the community to invovle and inform each other.

 

Put it this way: Its a function we pay for to meet and interact with other players socially. But it is often hijacked by haters and griefers who rant and ramble and turn it into a spite-filled wall of noise. Hence many players simply minimise it. But there is no other feature in 3dx that offers an ability to reach out to the community within the game itself.

Why are WE the ones that must disable world chat? And thus deprive ourselves of the single most powerful communications tool in the entire game? 

My point is that WC is something we deserve to have as part of our game experience, and it is being taken away from us by trolls. I'm asking the devs to find a way to give it back to us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tracer said:

I think those advocating for Opt out" kind of miss the point: Global chat is a feature that when it works is a great way for the community to invovle and inform each other.

 

Put it this way: Its a function we pay for to meet and interact with other players socially. But it is often hijacked by haters and griefers who rant and ramble and turn it into a spite-filled wall of noise. Hence many players simply minimise it. But there is no other feature in 3dx that offers an ability to reach out to the community within the game itself.

Why are WE the ones that must disable world chat? And thus deprive ourselves of the single most powerful communications tool in the entire game? 

My point is that WC is something we deserve to have as part of our game experience, and it is being taken away from us by trolls. I'm asking the devs to find a way to give it back to us.

I fully agree with your point.
World Chat IS a useful feature. IF it was moderated and those trolls kept in check.
The Devs so far have been completely unable or Unwilling to do that.
Leaving World Chat as a breeding ground for hate, bigotry and the like. 

So, when the Devs are unwilling to even do a token effort to curb that frustrating cesspool of hate, people look for the next best thing. And that is to just avoid it.
Which we also Can't, because of the way the game is designed.
There is no way to get to the good parts of the game, without first getting exposed to the filth that is World Chat nowadays.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/15/2022 at 7:18 PM, Tracer said:

Well I think a mod team would themselves need to be picked carefully of course.

It's not always possible to sort out wrong people on the pick. You'll need to constantly monitoring their actions to push the ones who want to abuse the given power away. And there a lot of power hungry, ego-driven people who are wish to be moderators. Not many people want to clean other's shit for free, just to create a better environment. 

On 4/15/2022 at 7:18 PM, Tracer said:

No system is perfect but right now we have nothing.

Sometimes "nothing" is better than something. Honestly, if I'll have to chose between power abusing and hate-speech - I chose hate-speech. I can always block a toxic bully. But if I'll be on a wrong foot with some moderator - I don't want to be a victim of his ego and risk ending up in ban because he/she or his/her friends do not like me.

On 4/15/2022 at 7:18 PM, Tracer said:

If not mods - then maybe like an upvote / downvote system?.. if like 20 people downvote a comment a person gets muted for 20 minutes or something..

I would like it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Xizi said:
On 4/15/2022 at 4:18 PM, Tracer said:

If not mods - then maybe like an upvote / downvote system?.. if like 20 people downvote a comment a person gets muted for 20 minutes or something..

I would like it. 

Sorry to say, from personal experience in Star Trek Online where such a system existed in the form of a Auto-Mute after a certain player was Reported X amount of time.
This WILL be abused.
There are plenty of big Entertainer Groups, often with members running multiple accounts that would LOVE this system to systematically mute and harass members of other groups.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Derai said:

Sorry to say, from personal experience in Star Trek Online where such a system existed in the form of a Auto-Mute after a certain player was Reported X amount of time.
This WILL be abused.
There are plenty of big Entertainer Groups, often with members running multiple accounts that would LOVE this system to systematically mute and harass members of other groups.

Sad...

Well, then I really don't know how to solve this problem without getting a new problem. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

There is no 100% solution. No system will be perfect.

 

Right now the great irony is that a game called 3dx*CHAT* is often having its single most important chat feature hijacked by racist, bigoted and seriously disturbed trolls.

I think moderators are the right way to go. Will it get abused? Yeah probably from time to time. No human is perfect: mods will make mistakes. But I am sure in our community there are a few people who would legit try and do their best. 

Yesterday when I posted on world chat that I have made this thread, and was trying to draw attention to the hate speech, it withered and died shortly after. I got a few "Thanks Karen" and such - but I don't care. An hour later chat was friendly and welcoming again - as it should be.

 

In the end the community, and how we unite together, is the best tool against trolls. I hope the admins consider that and try to find us an answer to this.

 

Lastly: I don't want to ban anyones free speech: But such speech is a privilege, not a right, on a private forum. "Free Speech" warriors can go shout in a park if they wish. As a paying customer,. like many others, I am here for troll-free and hate-free speech.

Edited by Tracer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tracer said:

Lastly: I don't want to ban anyones free speech: But such speech is a privilege, not a right, on a private forum. "Free Speech" warriors can go shout in a park if they wish. As a paying customer,. like many others, I am here for troll-free and hate-free speech.

Well its not your own private forum neither the game is, so your desires and wishes has the same importance as the other paying customers, not less, but not more. If someone wants free speech in WC - they are entitled to have this opinion and voice it, as much as you are. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Xizi said:

Well its not your own private forum neither the game is, so your desires and wishes has the same importance as the other paying customers, not less, but not more. If someone wants free speech in WC - they are entitled to have this opinion and voice it, as much as you are. 

No that's not the way it works. Free speech as a concept is basically where government is refused the power to interrupt, censor, or block the legitimate discourse of the population. "Free speech" as a concept simply doesn't exist in a private context. You are given the privilege to say what you like, within the boundaries of what is considered acceptable by those that own the server.

The devs have made VERY CLEAR what they do and don't tolerate and this entire thread is in the context of THEIR rules. Not mine.

Specifically:

2. Prohibitions, restrictions and conditions of use, for all game chats and channels.
You agree not to do any of the following while using the Game or any SexGameDevil game chat or channels.

2.01. Excessive profanity and inappropriate language is not welcome.
2.02. Insults, personal attacks, abuse or harassment are not tolerated on any level.
2.03. Derogatory comments based on race, nationality, religion, culture, underage sex, or underage sexual preference are prohibited.
2.04. Allusion of racial or national supremacy, as well as discriminative propaganda on any level is prohibited.
2.05. Spamming or posting nonsensical messages is prohibited in the chats. This also includes excessive use of caps.

Edited by Tracer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm afraid you may forget world chat, but hopping around rooms to meet people "in person" and chat with them, since world chat is a real piece of cr@p. 

If the game itself is like a tiny community, then the world chat is like the rl Internet : people can post whatever on it. And as long as it doesn't touch the redline, they can post as much crap as they want since no one knows "how they look like" and send them a iggy. So trust me, giveup on world chat can really enhance the game experience. On the other hand--- maybe you can give a try on build a chat based room by your self, such like a cafe or chill room, so those who really wants to chat will come to your room. I can always give a help on that.

Edited by Lunarelf
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/17/2022 at 12:40 PM, Tracer said:

No that's not the way it works. Free speech as a concept is basically where government is refused the power to interrupt, censor, or block the legitimate discourse of the population. "Free speech" as a concept simply doesn't exist in a private context. You are given the privilege to say what you like, within the boundaries of what is considered acceptable by those that own the server.

The devs have made VERY CLEAR what they do and don't tolerate and this entire thread is in the context of THEIR rules. Not mine.

Specifically:

2. Prohibitions, restrictions and conditions of use, for all game chats and channels.
You agree not to do any of the following while using the Game or any SexGameDevil game chat or channels.

2.01. Excessive profanity and inappropriate language is not welcome.
2.02. Insults, personal attacks, abuse or harassment are not tolerated on any level.
2.03. Derogatory comments based on race, nationality, religion, culture, underage sex, or underage sexual preference are prohibited.
2.04. Allusion of racial or national supremacy, as well as discriminative propaganda on any level is prohibited.
2.05. Spamming or posting nonsensical messages is prohibited in the chats. This also includes excessive use of caps.

My earlier comment on free speech was geared more towards those idiots in World Chat.  By all means, if you really want to talk that way, it makes it really easy to identify and shun you.

Yes, I would love the rules stated above enforced, but enforcement here is lackluster at best.  And directly questioning things regarding this topic has resulted in me being banned in the past.

I loved @Derai's idea.  Give us the option to just turn off World Chat.  Out of sight, out of mind.

Edited by JackPine
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been giving this topic some thought.  As pointed out by others in this thread there is no real answer to the World Chat problem, except to ignore the feature (which is NOT actually a solution to the root problem, but turning a blind eye), or constantly add people to ignore lists, or for the game owners to allow moderators (and the risks that brings with it) or for owners to actually enforce their own rules (which is the real solution).  The last point seems highly unlikely, considering that the World Chat hatred and bullying has gone on unchecked for so long now and considering the barest minimal support the game owners seem to provide to the game and the community.

I have posted elsewhere on this forum that I have my World Chat settings so that I don't receive visual and audible notifications, and that I immediately turn WC off when I log in.  It irks me though that doing this does nothing to stop the hatred and the bullying, and that this makes me a passive bystander to the kind of behaviour that I despise.  Conversely, going into World Chat and speaking out against those that speak with hatred and those that bully others would just pour fuel on the fire and won't solve anything, nor is it what I subscribe to 3dxchat for.

On reflection earlier, it came to my mind that not only am I acting as a passive bystander, but that I am actually funding a platform that does nothing to prevent this problem of hatred and bullying and allows it to continue unchecked, despite what the rules might say.  This is an unacceptable realisation for me.  I have been a member of 3dxchat continuously for almost 7 years, and I have tried to take an active role on this forum as a supportive community member throughout that time.  Sadly, I have taken the decision not to renew any more and to allow my current game subscription to lapse.  This seems to me to be the only option I have, effectively by voting with my feet.  It might not solve the problem, but at least I won't be funding it anymore.  Perhaps if the game owners actively take responsibility not to allow hatred and bullying in their game, then one day I will come back.

Edited by Leopardus
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Leopardus said:

considering that the World Chat hatred and bullying has gone on unchecked for so long now and considering the barest minimal support the game owners seem to provide to the game and the community.

You touch on a good point here. 
And recently someone I talked to made a good analogy about part of this. 
 

They said: “Think of it this way, the hate in World Chat is like finding a Swastika painted on a wall. Or a ‘Kill all Jews’ or a ‘All Muslims must go’ graffitied on a building. 
The owner of the building would want to remove that as fast as possible, or else people might think they actually agree with what is written there. Or they just don’t care. Either way, it’s a bad look”

I think they’re on to something there. 
And I don’t blame you for walking away. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...