3DXChat Community

Missing Code-Function for room protection

Ica

This copying, editing, faking, stealing rooms issue is something what is like a nightmare. I am knowing this for a long time, and I do have bad experience with it like the most of us at the past years. Right now, people are starting to copy or merger rooms from other and start to sell it at the 3dxChatstore. I guess it is time that the admins will help the community!

I do have a suggestion. The huge problem about rooms is, that everybody can edit it! That is the general problem, and this forces all these problems. The only way is, if there is something like a code-function at the 3dxChat Editor which is protecting the room from editing. Who has this code is able to edit the room. I know….this is forcing other problems, but I dont see any other way out of this copy/stealing/editing room issue.

In practice, you will give the code to other if you offer a free download or want to share something for free or like just objects. If you do want to protect your room, you protect it with a code-function at the Editor of 3dxChat. If the builder gives the code to others, it is the problem of the builder.

ICA

The game has actually featured user room encryption for a significant duration. This means that as long as you refrain from sharing your room file with anyone, it remains completely secure from theft. Unlike in the past, where visitors could easily duplicate a room due to the lack of encryption, this is no longer possible. Your rooms are now shielded from unauthorized copying, enhancing their protection.

@Gizmo would it be possible to set a password to the world files? Like with pdf files, you can set a password, and you need to know it to open the file.
For world files, that password would be needed if you want to open it in the editor or host that room.
Of course, the world files itself needed to be encrypted, like the avatar files. Otherwise you could just copy and paste it with a text editor.

As Gizmo said, if you don't share the world file, no one should be able to use it (at least easily).

By sharing it, you know it can be modified or used by others.

I created some worlds using parts of other publically shared files. Of course I didn't even think of selling it. I'm totally against it.

The fact that world file is a text file is handy to allow some transformations (like reducing file size by decreasing decimal places on coordinates, or relocating an entire world, or changing grass mountains to snow mountains to have summer/winter variants using a simple find/replace).

On 8/22/2023 at 10:22 AM, Ica said:

Right now, people are starting to copy or merger rooms from other and start to sell it at the 3dxChatstore.

No, people don't start to sell copy or merged rooms on 3DXChatStore, all the issues we got so far are people who used some items, but there was no room stealing. We try to keep an eye on what is uploaded on store and managed all issues that could raise by removing anything that could cause an issue. I still think store is the safest place right now to buy and sell, since the items are only delivered upon completed payment and the store taking no commission on the transactions.

The rules on store are clear, sellers have to use only their own created items, or to be able to prove they got an approval for using someone else item. Any product not respecting this is removed.

While I fully agree that some layer of protection would be good, I think that locking files from editing would not benefit the community. What if someone likes a room and just want to add something in it for personal use or simply change a texture? And even locking a file wont stop people to resell rooms that ain't their own. 

By starting to sell rooms, we have all to accept we also opened the Pandora Box, where there is money, there is stealing. And nothing will be 100% safe.

Edited by Torax

The custom room file format is designed to be easily shared with the community. This means that any player can make any changes they want to the downloaded room file. At the request of players, we have added an extra layer of protection (encryption) for those rooms that are public, but the host does not want to share the room file.

I don't think we're going to invent another layer of protection for room files that players want to share, because that would go against the design. Room files were originally designed to be shared openly and freely between players. In this way, any member of the community can share their creations with everyone. The whole community benefits.

If there is a password portection and the designer of the room/objects gives this password to other then it is the problem of the designer. The full responsibilty has the designer. This endless discussion of who did design what and is using it where and why will be over then!

Edited by Ica

Hey guys, it is great that we all here are in active involvement and dedication to maintaining the integrity in our 3DXChat community. We understand that there have been concerns circulating about the authenticity of items/rooms available in the Store and the perception that some items/rooms might be copied or infringing on others' creative efforts.

We want to take this opportunity to assure everyone that the Store take these concerns very seriously. Our team is committed to upholding the possible highest standards of fairness and originality within our platform. We understand the negative impact that copied or plagiarized content can have on the overall experience of our community members, and we want to stress that we are actively working to prevent such instances.

Each case that has been brought to our attention is being thoroughly investigated. Our dedicated team is checking every reported item to ensure its originality and compliance with our Store guidelines. We believe in fair play and creativity, and any item found to be in violation of these principles will be promptly removed from our store.

Please rest assured that we are not in agreement with, nor do we endorse, any form of copied or infringing content. Our store was founded on the principles of promoting genuine creativity, inspiring our community members, and offering a platform where hard work is duly rewarded.

We are here to foster growth, support, and the rightful appreciation of the talents within our community. We firmly believe that every creator are able to enjoy the rewards of their dedication and imaginative efforts with their own builds. We have seen private/custom projects before, so the market is already exist long before Store started. The beneficial part of Store is, it bring out the transparency and recognize the faulty parties more quickly. To this end, we are continuously working on enhancing our processes to prevent any instances of copied content from entering our platform.

If you come across any items that raise concerns or suspicions, we kindly request that you report them to us directly in our Store Discord https://discord.gg/PJmBfXbf8w.  Your vigilance plays a crucial role in maintaining the authenticity of our platform, and we deeply value your contributions toward its betterment.

Thanks all and here we continue to remain committed to open communication, continuous improvement, and the promotion of originality and fairness.

Additional Security would be great too to secure what we have fought for years. But we do understand there is always way to jailbreak it if anyone has intention to it :(

Best Regards,
SweetTia

3dxchatstore.com Admin

On 8/22/2023 at 4:22 PM, Ica said:

This copying, editing, faking, stealing rooms issue is something what is like a nightmare. I am knowing this for a long time, and I do have bad experience with it like the most of us at the past years. Right now, people are starting to copy or merger rooms from other and start to sell it at the 3dxChatstore. I guess it is time that the admins will help the community!

I do have a suggestion. The huge problem about rooms is, that everybody can edit it! That is the general problem, and this forces all these problems. The only way is, if there is something like a code-function at the 3dxChat Editor which is protecting the room from editing. Who has this code is able to edit the room. I know….this is forcing other problems, but I dont see any other way out of this copy/stealing/editing room issue.

In practice, you will give the code to other if you offer a free download or want to share something for free or like just objects. If you do want to protect your room, you protect it with a code-function at the Editor of 3dxChat. If the builder gives the code to others, it is the problem of the builder.

ICA

There is one suggestion to keep people not editing to your room is to grouped the whole room. May not be the perfect answer but surely it beat the 99% whoever intend to ungroup the whole map. 

4 hours ago, Ica said:

If there is a password portection and the designer of the room/objects gives this password to other then it is the problem of the designer. The full responsibilty has the designer. This endless discussion of who did design what and is using it where and why will be over then!

If the designer shares the room to the public or to friends, then the full responsibility is the designer. What is the difference of having  password protection or not? Or you want to share the file to everyone but the password only for a few? That's nonsense.

If you want to protect your creations, keep the files for yourself. Simple, not endless.

5 minutes ago, CatKatW said:

.. That's nonsense.

If you want to protect your creations, keep the files for yourself. Simple, not endless.

"nonsens"?  Oh boy..... I am here for about 8years. How many rooms do you share at the modz forum and at other spots for free for years? I do and I am even using the 3dxChatstore. The password protection for objects/designs is not new to the mmo-world! I did not start this posting here cause of the 3dxChatstore; thats just the tip of the iceberg 😉.

Well I did share some and I knew about the outcome.

And if I'd not be fine with it, I won't share it. I know, everything can be altered, extracted, arranged in a new style, colored differently, copied a million times and so on and so forth. And I am cool with it.

If you use a room of mine, or an item, do whatever you like to do with it. If you feel like giving me credits, I'd be honored. If not, also ok for me. I did not invent the wheel after all, so I don't care.
I received some from community and gave some back. Finally in my view it is a gift to everyone from me. And since I presented it, I do not own it anymore. If you download it, you do. This is my opinion about it.

I see the problem mainly for those who are trying to sell a product and fear about it being copied for free. Fact is, each file can be altered, shared and copied. And there's not that much you can do against it. Ask the music industry, they've tried a lot to prevent bootlegs.
The outcome was until now not expecially convincing, I would say. If you really want and put enough effort into it, since you think it is worth it, you can open almost every lock. Be it by reverse engineering or simply by
brute force. I refer only to a technical perspective, not about moral. But what do people who intend to steal care about morals after all?

To prevent the possibility to download and save a room from the server just because it is opened for public is another story though. It would be nice if it could be inhibited.

My2cents

8 hours ago, Pandorra said:

I see the problem mainly for those who are trying to sell a product and fear about it being copied for free.

But even if password protection would be invented...

If people going to sell their rooms - they going to give this password to customers, right? Who in their right mind going to buy a room without option to edit it? What the point in having "your" place if you can't even move a couch to another wall? 

And if people going to have a password - they could share the room and the password - just like they could share the room itself now.

And even if author going to send individual password to each customer to know who shared it if they'll do - then what stops customers to change the password if they already have the room and the password?

I don't understand how such a system would work and how it would help at all.

Anyway, I think 3dxchat still lacking so much important features... Genitals customization, so many lacking clothes - still not even having panties with new material system - and if we talk about world editor - we still don't have a custom texture feature, don't have text feature (Yes, I know that you can download texts, but its not convenient way to use and it takes a lot of space and resources), we still have so little props, often forced to make/download each element of furniture individually. There are so much things that lacking and in my opinion any of these are more important than spending time on some kind of password protection on world files that probably not going to work like intended anyway.

4 hours ago, Xizi said:

If people going to sell their rooms - they going to give this password to customers, right

I would not give the password. For the free-downloads I would give the password and for just objects to merge in room I would give the password.

When you start the client,

14 hours ago, Pandorra said:

If you use a room of mine, or an item, do whatever you like to do with it. If you feel like giving me credits, I'd be honored. If not, also ok for me

Kudos for that.

Imvu had a system that always showed the original creator or the cc of the mesh, and they got a percentage of all sales derived from their work. That would be nice as i want my bragging rights for something that took weeks, months, and in a few cases years to make.

18 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

When you start the client,

Kudos for that.

Imvu had a system that always showed the original creator or the cc of the mesh, and they got a percentage of all sales derived from their work. That would be nice as i want my bragging rights for something that took weeks, months, and in a few cases years to make.

oh it's an ego issue then. For you know that you have made it, isn't it enough?

1 hour ago, Ica said:

I would not give the password. For the free-downloads I would give the password and for just objects to merge in room I would give the password.

But why would people buy the room without password?

I mean, if you would be stating it clearly before the purchase that you are selling room without password. Like... What the point of buying a place if you can't even change a color of the wall or change some furniture. Even if devs going to add some new objects with poses (like table, or pillory, or cage)- a person bought such a room would not even be able to add it to "their" home. While instead they could download one of, probably hundreds at this point, freely available rooms and truly own it, being able to do what they want.

And if you are going to sell your rooms without notifying pre-purchase that you are not going to provide the password - then it would be kinda scummy. 

14 minutes ago, Xizi said:

What the point of buying a place if you can't even change

Arent there enough examples from RL that you can buy what you are not goint to change. Like paintings, a car and and and? Dont understand. What is the problem if someone does not want that the design is change able? I tell you something - there is nothing wrong with it. If I dont want that nobody will be able to change one of my rooms or design at 3dx I do have just one possibility. Give it to nobody :)

3 hours ago, MeiLing said:

oh it's an ego issue then. For you know that you have made it, isn't it enough?

When some random asshole can claim to have made what i spent countless hours on and have people believe it, no.

Every single thing i have ever made is made from scratch, from my mind to completion, and they are all a one off. All the way back to creating furniture and clothes for Sims2, meshes for Imvu and mods for every almost every game i have ever played. I am a creative person, and i often make things just to see if i can, so yeah it`s an ego issue.

5 hours ago, Xizi said:

I mean, if you would be stating it clearly before the purchase that you are selling room without password. Like... What the point of buying a place if you can't even change a color of the wall or change some furniture. Even if devs going to add some new objects with poses (like table, or pillory, or cage)- a person bought such a room would not even be able to add it to "their" home.

This is my main worry about this password thing. And a password wont stop people to lie and claim they built the room, a password wont stop neither people to resell the room if they want.

I understand the issues Icarus is raising, and he is right about them existing, but it is about balance. Password will protect builders up to a certain level, but not fully for sure, but on the other hand it would impact the whole community. Pay for a room that you cant tweak a bit, it would make no sense to me. Punishing all buyers for a couple of idiots, it would be kind of sad.  I dont have a solution that would suit everyone, so I will keep doing as I used so far, hoping people have still some dignity, my free items can be used any way people want, except commercial use. This said, i am not naïve and know some will still try to benefit from them, financially or just claiming them.

41 minutes ago, Torax said:

I understand the issues Icarus is raising, and he is right about them existing, but it is about balance.

There are two worlds we are talking here about. The one is the absolut free world. When you do share a design ingame; people can do with it what they want. I am even supporting this since years! But there is the other world. The world when people are so creative, having an outstanding, wonderfull designs and it is not a lie that someone did spent more than 1000hours to design something. What is the problem when 3dx is supporting "both worlds"? It is just a password-function, which will be used or it
won`t be used. 3dx would be much more flexible in mind with such a function :) .

39 minutes ago, Ica said:

There are two worlds we are talking here about. The one is the absolut free world. When you do share a design ingame; people can do with it what they want. I am even supporting this since years! But there is the other world. The world when people are so creative, having an outstanding, wonderfull designs and it is not a lie that someone did spent more than 1000hours to design something. 

Sorry but here you are saying that the free world is not about outstanding wonderful designs. Well sorry to tell you, but I saw people sell complete shit while i saw other give for free wonderful designs. I take it personally cos I do share my work for free, and you are kind of saying my work doesn't worth yours cos it is free. Let s be honest, most people asking for some kind of protection nowadays is for one single reason: protect their sales. There is nothing wrong about it, and I find even the claim totally legit, I am myself helping the store. But daring to oppose 2 worlds cos one is free and the other outstanding, I am sorry but I cant hear it.

Now this is my personal shoutout: I dont speak about you right now, but the more it goes, the more i feel some builders are feeling themselves like a cast or an elite, who should be above others, again not speaking about, and it is a global trend that goes as well for DJ, host, dancers. As amazing as some can be, they should remember they are not big in Japan but just in 3DX.

Edit: if i misunderstood your last message Icarus, then my apologies in advance.

Edited by Torax

30 minutes ago, Torax said:

Edit: if i misunderstood your last message Icarus, then my apologies in advance.

well.. yes.. you do did missunderstand...Of course there are beautiful designs offered at "the free world"....no question about it

7 minutes ago, Ica said:

well.. yes.. you do did missunderstand...Of course there are beautiful designs offered at "the free world"....no question about it

Then my bad and again apologies, I think I just got tired by self proclaimed best djs, best builders, and rooms with 40 dancers and so on and got carried.