Jump to content
3DXChat Community

Jack's Dream Cabin in the Woods


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The room is still a work in progress based on JackPine's original idea and pictures. We agreed to share the final room for everyone and I would like to thank him for this. Here some pics:  

Here is a teaser.  I am finding it perfectly me!

Here is the final version of the room! Thanks to JackPine to have proposed this build! Download link: https://www.3dxchatsharing.com/jackpine-cabin-by-torax      

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Diana Prince said:

But that's how we all started 🙂
If you have any questions or need any help, just ask 🙂

Thank you for the encouraging words, Diana.  

Here are a couple to start:

  • I downloaded a bed from https://www.3dxchatsharing.com/ that I feels fits in with the vibe of my new cabin.
    • Is there a way to make that bed show up as an option in the editor when selecting a bed object?
    • Using the merge from file seemed to work, but is there an easier way?
  • I downloaded a fireplace (complete with chimney and smoke) that I think might look nice.
    • The fireplace is made up of many different parts.
      • How do you move all the parts as a group?  My efforts required trying to reassemble things once I moved all the pieces individually.

A slippery slope into what I can see turning into an addiction.  lol

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JackPine said:

Thank you for the encouraging words, Diana.  

Here are a couple to start:

  • I downloaded a bed from https://www.3dxchatsharing.com/ that I feels fits in with the vibe of my new cabin.
    • Is there a way to make that bed show up as an option in the editor when selecting a bed object?
    • Using the merge from file seemed to work, but is there an easier way?
  • I downloaded a fireplace (complete with chimney and smoke) that I think might look nice.
    • The fireplace is made up of many different parts.
      • How do you move all the parts as a group?  My efforts required trying to reassemble things once I moved all the pieces individually.

A slippery slope into what I can see turning into an addiction.  lol

 

There is no option for the bed to be a new object in the editor unfortunately. It's just a bunch of single objects for the editor.

The merge function is the way to go. This is how it is meant to import other objects.

For the fireplace I would do it this way:
- load the downloaded fireplace room
- delete everything from the fireplace room that won't be used in your "main room" later
- group everything so that you can move it around as you wish and don't need to reassemble anything
- save it under another name (I use "[object name] for merging.world")
- load your main room
- merge the grouped fireplace object
You should be able to move it in your main room now

I hope this was helpful 🙂
 

Next lesson: "How do I find a merged object in my main room?"  😝

Edited by Diana Prince
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Diana Prince said:

There is no option for the bed to be a new object in the editor unfortunately. It's just a bunch of single objects for the editor.

The merge function is the way to go. This is how it is meant to import other objects.

For the fireplace I would do it this way:
- load the downloaded fireplace room
- delete everything from the fireplace room that won't be used in your "main room" later
- group everything else so that you can move it around as you wish and don't need to reassemble anything
- save it under another name (I use "[object name] for merging.world")
- load your main room
- merge the grouped fireplace object
You should be able to move it in your main room now

I hope this was helpful 🙂
 

Next lesson: "How do I find a merged object in my main room?"  😝

So helpful, thanks!

How do you do the 'group' step above?  

As for the next lesson, is that looking way off into the horizon to find that little dot to zoom to to find it? 🤪

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JackPine said:

Thank you for the encouraging words, Diana.  

Here are a couple to start:

  • I downloaded a bed from https://www.3dxchatsharing.com/ that I feels fits in with the vibe of my new cabin.
    • Is there a way to make that bed show up as an option in the editor when selecting a bed object?
    • Using the merge from file seemed to work, but is there an easier way?
  • I downloaded a fireplace (complete with chimney and smoke) that I think might look nice.
    • The fireplace is made up of many different parts.
      • How do you move all the parts as a group?  My efforts required trying to reassemble things once I moved all the pieces individually.

A slippery slope into what I can see turning into an addiction.  lol

 

Could be problem with rotating is if you have a bed that is modded and not one from the assets in world editor, you'd need to have the drop down switched from pivot to center to rotate all objects correctly together.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JackPine said:

So helpful, thanks!

How do you do the 'group' step above?  

As for the next lesson, is that looking way off into the horizon to find that little dot to zoom to to find it? 🤪

The group step:

You should only see the fireplace etc. and the ocean in your room. Draw a rectangle with your mouse so that everything is covered.
Then click on the "group" icon (see screenshot). Now, when you click on one single object, everything should be marked.



Hihi, there is a small trick that makes your life easier to find merged objects 🙂

Screenshot 2021-01-15 155254.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Quick update.  With many thanks to @Torax, Jack's dream cabin is becoming a virtual reality!  Showed it for the first time to a friend who also has that creative touch, and first impressions were very positive.  I am excited to see the room continue to evolve and be the place that is fitting of a Jackpine to share with friends!  Oh, I asked how to add mosquitoes and wood ticks to make the scene more realistic, but that is not possible.  Can't have everything. 😜  

I can't thank you builders enough for your creativity, and skills that make this place so much fun to immerse myself in.

Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI.  All credit goes to Torax for seeing this thread, and feeling inspired to make it a reality.  When he is done, and satisfied with the end result he is free to make it available for sharing. Just think of me when you are sharing a moment next to the warm fire with someone you want to be cozy with!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello!  Construction is ongoing, but mainly outside the cabin.  Those who know me would go, "Yep, this is is so Jack!"  I love a lot of the expansive worlds that are out there to wander, explore and play in.  This is a bit of the inverse of those.  A single, cozy, warm and inviting cottage tucked away in the woods where I plan to share the space with friends, who also would like to escape the hustle and bustle to a place less traveled.  For tranquility, peace, quiet. 

Following are some screenshots.  I invited Betty to help model.  She is so agreeable!

Once again, I can't thank @Torax enough for bringing the project this far.  This place will be available for download when complete.  In the meantime, I would love to have you over if you would like a tour!  Just let me now!

 

Screenshot 2021-02-23 120523.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...