3DXChat Community

A General Survey about Avatars in 3DXChat

XenophiliusLovegood

A General Survey about Avatars in 3DXChat  

48 members have voted

1. 1. How many avatars do you have in your account?

2. 2. What avatar genders do you use and what sex has the operator?

• 1 x Male avatar, Male operated
    • 1 x Female avatar, Male operated
    • 2 x Male avatar, Male operated
    • 1 x Male avatar, 1 x Female avatar, Male operated
    • 2 x Female avatar, Male operated
    • 3 x Male avatar, Male operated
    • 2 x Male avatar, 1 x Female avatar, Male operated
    • 1 x Male avatar, 2 x Female avatar, Male operated
    • 3 x Female avatar, Male operated
    • 1 x Male avatar, Female operated
    • 1 x Female avatar, Female operated
    • 2 x Male avatar, Female operated
    • 1 x Male avatar, 1 x Female avatar, Female operated
    • 2 x Female avatar, Female operated
    • 3 x Male avatar, Female operated
    • 2 x Male avatar, 1 x Female avatar, Female operated
    • 1 x Male avatar, 2 x Female avatar, Female operated
    • 3 x Female avatar, Female operated
  3. 3. How is the temporal use of your avatars distributed?

• I have a main avatar, using mostly. If I have additional avatars, I use them randomly.
    • I have two avatars I use mostly and one randomly.
    • I use all avatars in a similar way.
    • I would like to prefer not to answer this question.

I never said that Pandora does not access the 3DX server.

Your guess is wrong, and if you think that an onion site somehow has a script that is reading your 3DX data from your computer, then maybe it is you who needs to learn about IT. 

Gizmo did. And if it was on the server side, he would have done something or? 

On the last point; I am smiling

Here's a few interesting figures:-

Of the 9 people who have 3 avis, 6 of them use them equally.

Of the 11 people who have 2 avis only 1 uses them both

26 people, the vast majority, use mostly 1 avi

Ok there may be overlaps here and there but I don't think those are significant. I suppose we should be asking ourselves what these figures are telling us. As Sagie said they do correlate rather well with other data that has been unearthed in various threads.

So maybe one approach to make bad behaviour less atractive could be to restrict users to 1 avi per account and make it much easier to do things like tweak your avi without destroying what you already have, to build in peace (perhaps a 'do not disturb' option). The save feature goes some way towards this, maybe being able to save the avi separately to the clothes? Perhaps organise clothes into outfits? We do, I think, need more options for customising avi's. That way people who want to role play can have different outfits, appearance etc to suit the role. Those of us who prefer to play more true to rl can make our avis as close to an idealised version of ourselves as we can, and experiment with looks we wouldn't try in rl.

Here's a few interesting figures:-

Of the 9 people who have 3 avis, 6 of them use them equally.

Of the 11 people who have 2 avis only 1 uses them both

26 people, the vast majority, use mostly 1 avi

Ok there may be overlaps here and there but I don't things those are significant. I suppose we should be asking ourselves what these figures are telling us. As Sagie said they do correlate rather well with other data that has been unearthed in various threads.

So maybe one approach to make bad behaviour less atractive could be to restrict users to 1 avi per account and make it much easier to do things like tweak your avi without destroying what you already have, to build in peace (perhaps a 'do not disturb' option. The save feature goes some way towards this, maybe being able to save the avi separately to the clothes? Perhaps organise clothes into outfits? We do, I think, need more options for customising avi's. That way people who want to role play can have different outfits, appearance etc to suit the role. Those of us who prefer to play more true to rl can make out avis as close to an idealised version of ourselves as we can, and experiment with looks we wouldn't try in rl.

The figures are telling us that not many people in game use the forums and and the data is not in any way representative of actual 3dx login data. 

Don't you think it's funny that this poll says most people only use 1 avi... yet when someone mentions anything about avis like.. only 1 per account, you'd think the world was ending.  :P

As Sagie said they do correlate rather well with other data that has been unearthed in various threads.

No that isn't what I said. I said they correlated reasonably well with the data from Pandora.

And I don't agree with anything that you have said in this thread, so please don't pull my name in to support your ideas as if I did.

The best approach to making bad behavior unattractive is not to react to it. End of story.

Reasonably, rather ............... hmmm OK. Just acknowledging the points you've made, and maybe winding you up a little because you've been rather absent whenever I've been in game lately. We might not agree on something but I do find it useful to hear what you have to say about stuff.

I suggested one avi per account a while ago in these threads. Do you really think it's going to stop the mind fucking of the game, no it's not people will still do it no matter what is in place.

I think Pandora and the extra costs made a big difference. People can.make a new account but there are many who still won't take that route. Just my experience but I have noticed that things are a little better. Actually one of the new problems has been mentioned already and that's people jumping to conclusions simply because someone else has an alt.

The people who cause trouble will do that anyway - it's a shame necause things are better than they once were. Although maybe I spoke too soon. I've been on teh recieving end of random huggers twice in the last two days. One even did it twice. These things go in phases so I guess we're starting a new phase of that one.

The survey suggests to me that the people who regularly use multiple alts are in the minority so any move against those who misuse them will impinge on relatively few people. Those that don't misuse their multiple alts will find a work around. It might be a bit cumbersome but there are work arounds. The account wid eiggie comes in to it's own here - I don't want to explain teh detail of thinkign just yet. I just hope others can see it too.

I think Pandora and the extra costs made a big difference. People can.make a new account but there are many who still won't take that route. Just my experience but I have noticed that things are a little better. Actually one of the new problems has been mentioned already and that's people jumping to conclusions simply because someone else has an alt.

That's why we still have the same problem, please show everywhere Pandora and the extra cost for avis has helped because it's hasn't.  Isn't that point of these threads because it hasn't made a big difference.

The people who cause trouble will do that anyway - it's a shame necause things are better than they once were. Although maybe I spoke too soon. I've been on teh recieving end of random huggers twice in the last two days. One even did it twice. These things go in phases so I guess we're starting a new phase of that one.

The survey suggests to me that the people who regularly use multiple alts are in the minority so any move against those who misuse them will impinge on relatively few people. Those that don't misuse their multiple alts will find a work around. It might be a bit cumbersome but there are work arounds. The account wid eiggie comes in to it's own here - I don't want to explain teh detail of thinkign just yet. I just hope others can see it too.

I was DJing naked in a room two different times over the weekend and wasn't hugged once.  I was only partnered requested twice.  Every once in a very great while I get the random hugger or kiss of the cheek.

Where do you get your numbers from that it won't only impinge a relatively a few people.  Are you going by this poll or are you going by all accounts that have multiple alts?  I did't take this survey and don't feel that I need to.  I don't use my alts to screw people over, I even have them listed in my profile.  Those like me who don't misuse alts shouldn't have to find a work around, quite the opposite.  That's like punishing those who do good because of those that do bad, does that make sense at all no.  The work around is simply getting a new account by those that choose to mindfuck or screw people over who play the game.  Why should those that don't be penalized for it.

I said I noticed a difference because I have. You don't know of my experiences so you can't tell me they haven't made a difference because to me they have. I didn't speak for all of 3dx and I do not create these threads. I only give my input and opinions.

I do see you posting about your experiences also. I never see you so we obviously hang around different crowds. That is enough to have vastly different experiences.

Double edged sword that could have been said together as it can be taken two ways. That it's made a difference overall and that it was just your experience as you stated them separately then state it's just for you in your reply below.

I said I noticed a difference because I have. I didn't speak for all of 3dx and I do not create these threads. I only give my input and opinions.

I do see you posting about your experiences also. I never see you so we obviously hang around different crowds. That is enough to have vastly different experiences.

I've seen you in game and in WC.  I know a lot of the people you hang out with.  We may have different experiences but also the same.  It doesn't matter who our crowd is, what matters is what happens overall to make the game experience better for everyone.

I have noticed a big difference. But I have also seen the rise of new issues because of psndora. That was the point of that post.

I agree with the last part of your post except for that I should mention I don't chat in world chat.

I have noticed a big difference. But I have also seen the rise of new issues because of psndora. That was the point of that post.

I agree with the last part of your post except for that I should mention I don't chat in world chat.

People go to Pandora because of the shit they've been through or someone they know because of the distrust that runs heavy in the game.  People will go to it even more so if things are put into place like markers and @parentnames.

I didn't say you chatted but you have posted for events in there, not a bad thing as you've not done it where you're killing WC with it.

I agree that this survey is not a representative sample but it’s what we’ve got. The data does correlate surprisingly well with data from other sources. So it’s a guide.

Where it doesn’t correlate with other sources there are valid explanations.

I suggest that the small number of people whe object so strongly represent a minority, even though they claim to be the dominant opinion, and really do not like it having ruled the roost for too long. Well it’s time to introduce a little common sense into these discussions, surveys etc. Understand what they are telling us, assess the validity of the data, balance any explanations against other data and then use that to make suggestions to improve the game. That’s neither too difficult nor too contentious.

I agree that this survey is not a representative sample but it’s what we’ve got. The data does correlate surprisingly well with data from other sources. So it’s a guide.

Where it doesn’t correlate with other sources there are valid explanations.

I suggest that the small number of people whe object so strongly represent a minority, even though they claim to be the dominant opinion, and really do not like it having ruled the roost for too long. Well it’s time to introduce a little common sense into these discussions, surveys etc. Understand what they are telling us, assess the validity of the data, balance any explanations against other data and then use that to make suggestions to improve the game. That’s neither too difficult nor too contentious.

What?  This survey doesn't represent 3DX and the people within it. How do you know those answering aren't alts on the forum as well, it's not like you can see who's voting and who isn't.  What other sources of data?

Really because this doesn't represent anything but those that have taken it.  I haven't along with thousands of others.  So there is no explanation.

You might want to rethink it.   Nobody is claiming to be anything but giving their opinions but it seems you think you have all the answers that this survey represents 3DX when it clearly doesn't.  Nobody is trying to rule a roost.  There's been common sense in it the entire time.  Use yours you claim to have and go back through this.  Validity, of the few that took the survey but forget the thousands that haven't, how brilliant.  *inserts sarcasm* So much common sense I'm falling out of my chair laughing. *ends sarcasm*

I never said it was a representative sample. I've said it was a guide when viewed in conjunction with other data.

What I object to is this 'it's not going to work' mentality. We have data, of limited reliability, that we can test against other data. I think someone pointed out that the proportion of users who mostly use one avi from this sample is supported by data from Pandora. Conversely the data for the proportion of women users ( just shy of 50% from the sample) is not supported by other data that has been presented on the forums, where the proportion could be as low as 10% and as high as 30%, mostly likely nearer the former. In this case the data from the sample is telling us something different. I'd interpet this as users saying that when playing the game they want to viewed as if they are women in rl, regardless of their rl gender. What this data doesn't tell us is why so many blokes want to play as women, we have to look elsewhere for that. I have my opinions on that but it isn't relevant to this discussion.

The next question is can this data guide our thinking? I'd say yes it can, provided we recognise its limitations and balance any conclusions we draw with data from other sources. So in this case we can fairly reliabley conclude that the majority of users play with mostly one avi. This means that the users of all three avis are in a minority. Most people have one or two avis (29 or 76%) as against those who have three (9 or 24%).

The last question also tells us something - the vast majority of users play mostly with only one avi, a significant minority play with all three and a tiny minority play with two. That suggests to me that the people have two only use the second avi for stuff like building, playing with outfits etc and this is secondary to their game play. I suspect if we were able to break down the users of all three avis further we'd see that the majority include the people who build these wonderful worlds we've seen since World Editor appeared. Sadly this group also includes the troublemakers.

So any change to make life difficult for trouble makers must take in to account the needs of the builders - hence my picking up on the idea of a 'do not disturb' feature should it be deemed neccessary to reduce our avi count down to one. This, to my mind, is quite possible if done correctly with more save options for rooms, avis and outfits. Possibley include a nick name for the role players? As I've said before I'm totally shite at role play so I can't really comment on that one.

Chloe's point about honesty is valid. It's clear that a large proportion of respondents who claim to be female rl aren't - unless we have a situation where female users are happy to respond whereas males can't be arsed. I think either gender will probably be equally likely, or unlikely, to respond.

Sarcasm, Mar_Mohan, does not address the issues we're trying to discuss here, which is a shame because when you do get your act together you are able to present valid points. Xeno took the trouble of putting together a survey, I suggest because he wanted to find out a bit more about how people play 3dx Chat. I believe the data does tell us something, both where it is supported by other data and where it isn't. I'd suggest that this survey, in spite of it's limitations is useful as a guide. Got it now?