#21 Sage Stoner

Sage Stoner

Scallywag and Rapscallion Extraordinaire

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts
  • LocationTokyo Japan

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:29 AM

And the solution to counter it is not to better secure the data, but to suggest a second subscription... ironic isn't it?

For the sake of argument, what is ironic about it?

First, we have a scammer, who wants to make money. So he downloads publicly available data and then lies about how he acquired the data to make it seem that he is providing a "valuable" service that people will pay money to use. 

Then, of course, we have SDG, who wants to make money. The SDG business plan has always been to allow players to have up to three avis per account and to allow players to have multiple accounts.  I have never seen anything in the terms of use that says one player cannot have more than one account.  

Finally, we have a situation where some people think their right to privacy includes keeping the names of their alts private. And in response to that, SDG says: The account-wide ignore function links all the alts to one ID, so if you want to keep the name of your alts private, use different accounts.

So, how is "better securing the data" a solution to people downloading publicly available data, and in what way, shape, or form is any of this ironic?

• Feuermond likes this

#22 AnyNameWillDo

AnyNameWillDo

Her North Star...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:44 AM

So I must warn you guys and you should understand that alts on the same account is not private data and there is a way to find other characters on the same account.

It's possible due to an option of ignore whole account. Because all avis on one account have the same tag or ID.

But doesn't this tool partly undermine the ignore function which not only makes characters assigned to an account invisible but their profiles too? Someone put on ignore in order to extract them from a virtual life will now be able to view gifts, read profiles updated since being ignored, observe new connections, and reintegrate to some extent if they so wish. I understand that data is not entirely secure and can be searched. But this tool breaks a function thought important enough to include within the game's ignore facility.

• chloe and Athene like this

#23 Feuermond

Feuermond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Location❤...in Missy's arms...❤

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:25 AM

The Pandora service is reviewed to follow gifts, nothing is said about disclosure of friend lists. So I assume Pandora has own user accounts to get the data. They can get nothing you cannot get manually too.

DEVs: Maybe the amount and speed of profile requests from an account can rate it a data abuse account like that Pandora thing.

If you ignore X you can still see if X gifts Y, also X can see if you gift Y, it is simply in the Y gift list. Maybe following the link to profiles here in the gift list can disclosure an profile that should be blocked due to an ignore. But if so that is a bug that effects manually link following as well as automatic.

I stay with my conclusion the spy service is just a new dimension of getting data. It cannot get any data a player cannot get manually too and it has no access to the database. Maybe they look a bit deeper, seeing the user ID but as said before, other clients need a ID of me to make my ava visible. Don't mix the user ID with the email address or an ava's name, think of it more as a random but unique number every account gets. Just because you cannot see data it does not mean there are not there. Further more and important: It does not mean it is a data leak. It is functionality needed to play the game.
  • Sage Stoner and chloe like this

#24 Guest_Mulan_*

Guest_Mulan_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:24 AM

The point is that why is this data publicly available in the first place? On a social network like Facebook you have the option if you so wish to make yourself available on search engines on Google and choose how much you choose to make public. I doubt anyone in 3DX wants their information to be made public.

The simple thing to do would be to encrypt the information and take security more seriously. Whatever reason people have for creating alts then they expect to do so with privacy. Some people for whatever reason choose to use real pictures and share real information on their profiles. I think 3DX has an obligation to protect its users. 3DX is a paid service, which is fine, businesses need to make money, but in return we expect quality, privacy and security.

The DLL hacks are another example of how easily the game can be tampered with. Rather than saying everything is fine and there is nothing to worry about, accept that the game is vulnerable and make the fixes.
  • chloe, Cordelia, Feuermond and 3 others like this

#25 Sage Stoner

Sage Stoner

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts
  • LocationTokyo Japan

Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:22 AM

The point is that why is this data publicly available in the first place?

I think in this particular case, "available publicly" specifically means "available to any member of the public one who pays for a 3dx subscription," and definitely not "freely available to anyone on the Internet." 

• Feuermond likes this

#26 Feuermond

Feuermond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Location❤...in Missy's arms...❤

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:57 PM

Well Mulan, I have access to the data of other players. I can read their profiles, see there gifts and so on. In the end nobody can prevent me or others to make these data public and to do a history of them. Oh, well yes, that's immoral but the Pandora service is in the Tor network and they want money. So I don't think you can argue with them to stop what they do. As long as people pay them, they simply can create accounts to collect the data. So again: The data need not to be public in the sense that even Google could find them; there only need to be bad guys like Pandora who abuse accounts.

• chloe likes this

#27 gizmo

gizmo

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 960 posts
  • Location3DXChat

Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:28 PM

If someone thinks that we will do nothing with this situation, then they are very wrong ;)

• Sage Stoner, Abbey, Ashbash and 7 others like this

#28 Dcati

Dcati

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationAmerica/East Coast

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:22 PM

If someone thinks that we will do nothing with this situation, then they are very wrong ;)

That is helpful to know. The answer given as the solution came across to me as suggesting that nothing is going to be done, an "oh well" type of attitude. If you will, it would be nice to have an update when possible. 

#29 Toolan

Toolan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:43 PM

Well it appears this was a great time for me to not renew my subscription. :) 

• Cordelia likes this

#30 Twiggy

Twiggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:20 PM

I have noticed that since the availability of Pandora was made public some good things have come from it.

Straight off 2 characters that were fairly constant in World Chat causing problems vanished.

I have not heard so much of people invading parties with alts just to create problems for the organisers.

There is a post in here where someone opened a room stating it was for lesbians and bis only and had no trouble, likely would have if the knowledge wasn't there that alts can be found out.

I think the proof is there, people create alts and cause problems for others when they know they can't be held accountable for it.

If there is some way they can be held accountable with their main avi then many of them don't do it.

I know some will still pay for a second account and still do the same crap, but being able to find the owner of an alt seems to stop quite a lot of it.

Gizmo has said he plans to do something about Pandora.

An easy way to stop Pandora is to offer what most people would want to use Pandora for, to find out who is behind an alt.

If the devs were to add a feature where we can get that info through the game, then I can't see anyone going to Pandora.

My suggestion, add a feature where for say 10k gold, we can get the names of the other avis on an account.

I am worried that the devs answer to the problem will be to take away things that have been good for the game.

The total ignore for instance, or to just stop dll changes all together and we loose our added room options.

I know some will not like the idea, finding out who is who so easily will take from some peoples games.

But what are they really loosing and what do we really gain.

• DarkSnake, Rockster and ffan like this

#31 RobT

RobT

Optimus Prime

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,826 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:43 PM

as long as my email isnt shown, i could care less what people are able to get , paying or otherwise although i can understand the other side that says its an invasion of privacy also. 

#32 Briana

Briana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,985 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:12 AM

do you really think those playing on multiple account don't have a vpn to hide behind a fake ip address? Come on, what do you think it will gonna happen if adms starting to show that kind of info through the game. I'm sure those doing this crap as you said ,they already settled up they're account mainly for this reason ,just in case of complaints or what other fucking issues reason with other player in game...just my opinion and thought after what i heard about how 3dx manage to keep confidentiality and safety here.

#33 RobT

RobT

Optimus Prime

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,826 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:16 AM

you don't need a vpn to play on multiple accounts at the same time, you just need a program like sandboxie. which is free however you cant play multiple avis on one account. to my knowledge there is no way to do that

#34 Briana

Briana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,985 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:41 AM

yes, it's another possibility too

#35 DarkSnake

DarkSnake

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:04 AM

Thank you Gizmo to inform about Pandora but how we know where is the limit of data they can scan?

I know some members have a hack which can show them friend list of others, ID member, etc..

Ok Pandora can get only online info, but when we write a private message, we do it online, no? When we request someone to Partner, we do it online, no? this is not privacy you think?

So please, how you can be sure they can't get these private info?

Thank you

• Chilles likes this

#36 Sage Stoner

Sage Stoner

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts
  • LocationTokyo Japan

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:08 AM

I know some members have a hack which can show them friend list of others, ID member, etc..

Really? I would love to see a screen shot of that, so I know it is true.  You can do any one of my three avis if you want.

But without a screen shot, I have a hard time believing that one.

#37 DarkSnake

DarkSnake

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:56 AM

Really? I would love to see a screen shot of that, so I know it is true.  You can do any one of my three avis if you want.

But without a screen shot, I have a hard time believing that one.

And you? Can you give us proof that it is impossible?

Maybe it is more easy for you to not beleive what I am saying but knows it is the true. I am a member concerned by this and I pay for playing here. I play enough here to note the reality of the game. I am not the first who complaint about what I say but 3DXchat team don't care and just say it is not possible with any investigation...

So I asked to 3DXchat Team to prove to us that our privacy is protected. Not to me to give proof... For example I already give proof to 3DXchat team that a psychopath player harrass me and insult me in the game but they never banned him, and also never answered to my e-mail when I ask them why he is not banned. So why give proof to 3DXTeam if they do what suit them?

Best regards^^

#38 Sage Stoner

Sage Stoner

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts
  • LocationTokyo Japan

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:48 AM

And you? Can you give us proof that it is impossible?

This is horse bollocks. 

I did not claim it was impossible, I said that I would not believe it without seeing proof.

And, since you can't or won't produce proof, it would seem that you are just spreading rumors. Which is fine. No one has to believe you. Least of all me.

#39 DarkSnake

DarkSnake

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:52 AM

This is horse bollocks. 

I did not claim it was impossible, I said that I would not believe it without seeing proof.

And, since you can't or won't produce proof, it would seem that you are just spreading rumors. Which is fine. No one has to believe you. Least of all me.

LOL

Are you from 3DXchat team? Do you accuse me to spreading rumors?? Is it forbiden to ask proof that our privacy is protected? Why you try to change the way of my post? ^^

#40 DarkSnake

DarkSnake

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:09 PM

This is horse bollocks. 

http://3dxforum.com/...-my-friendlist/

Well, explain how people can get proof? No proof, so it is just rumors?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users