File Size, Lag and what the heck makes it so big?

SweetAmber

I was told that larger room file sizes can contribute to lad really bad.  I have a room thats like 3.8 meg and was told that was already BIG. Was told there are probably a lot of duplicate props that never got deleted.  there were a few but not many.

I deleted a bunch of stuff. Really didn't affect it much.

WHAT takes up the biggest chunk of file size and how can I find out except trial and error?  Candle flames?  The room has a LOT of the light bulb props.

Where should I start to cut the file size?

What file size should I aim for?  It should be smaller than ...?????

Thanks

If you already checked on duplicate props, you probably used a tool like Chloe's Remove Duplicate Tool.

Flames and sparks don't contribute much to file size but they contribute to lag.

File size is directly dependent on the quantity of individual objects you use. Some props that we add can represent several thousand objects. You can check how many objects your world has by using the tool I mentioned above.

For a file size of 3.8MB you should have more than 50000 objects in it.

I would advise to check how many objects there are on the props you add. I remember adding a jukebox that increased file size by 0.5MB because it was amazingly detailed.

There is another tool (an excel file named 3dxWorldEditor) that allows you to reduce the number of decimal places stored on each object location, scale and angle. By setting the precision to 3 or 4 decimal places you can considerably reduce the file size without compromizing accuracy.

I have seen worlds with more than 10MB that don't experience excessive lag, so it's a balance between some light effects and the actual quantity of objects.

10 hours ago, SweetAmber said:

I was told that larger room file sizes can contribute to lad really bad.  I have a room thats like 3.8 meg and was told that was already BIG. Was told there are probably a lot of duplicate props that never got deleted.  there were a few but not many.

WHAT takes up the biggest chunk of file size and how can I find out except trial and error?  Candle flames?  The room has a LOT of the light bulb props.

Thanks

it should be ok. You have no reason to delete anything. One thing you can do is round the value with this

My room is around the size of yours and it does not cause problem

Low FPS are mostly caused through special FX and lights, smoke and fog for example cause a lot of stress on the game if you use them a lot 
Lights with reflecting surfaces cause a similar issue, so most metal textures can get you bad performance if you use them a lot

The file size itself most likely causes longer load times but that is it.

You can have maps of the size of 10 MB without much lag

1 hour ago, SweetAmber said:

Where can i get this?  Sounds like thees a bunch of tools to help build in 3dx.

Thank You CatKatW

Here are some tools:

* Remove Duplicates tool by Chloe

https://www.3dxchatsharing.com/product/remove-duplicate-items-tool-by-chloe/

* Excel add-in to perform several tasks over your world file (most recent version 4.32)

* Tool for creating some nice and useful effects

On 11/24/2022 at 6:29 PM, SweetAmber said:

Thanks

The size of your build doesn't always equal lagging rooms.

I have experienced large rooms that don't lag, and also small rooms under 500KB lagging to the extreme.

Sometimes it just boils down to the complexity of what you have built in a localised area.  Too many objects in the same spot can cause the game to Lag.  If you can, try to build complex looking builds with the least number of objects as you can.