3DXChat Community

Should avatars belonging to an account have a common parent nickname?

XenophiliusLovegood

Alternate Avatars  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Should avatars belonging to an account have a common parent nickname?

• Yes
    • No
    • Doesn't matter

So what do we do?

Β 

Although Tlaera's response is spot on, to put it another way, no one needs to do anything. The poll results show very clearly that the community is against this idea by nearly a four-to-one margin. The only ones still pushing this are a few moralistic people who just can't seem to shake the need to tell others how to play.

Β 

The fact of the matter is that more and more players are becoming completely transparent about their alts, which is a welcome trend. And even those who have good reasons for being less than completely transparent with strangers are usually honest with their friends about who their alts are.

Β 

And if you meet someone who is less than forthcoming about their alts and who behavior is a concern, there is always Pandora. The funny thing about Pandora is that it basically proves that troublemakers are now using multiple accounts, not just multiple avis.Β 

Β 

The community is against it and the few trouble makers that it would thwart are already using multiple accounts.

There simply is no reason to fix something that isn't broken.

Generally speaking, just in case nobody's guessed yet, I'm all in favour of making life more difficult for trouble makers in game. Alt's aren't in themselves a bad thing, they have plenty of uses - for example making stuff or changing things around without messing up your main avi. The other side is people who use them to cause trouble - whatever the vote ends up as the fact we are discussing this at all means that people who read this thread recognise that we are all aware of the issues. That in itself lets trouble makers know that we aren't too keen in them.

Β 

We have two threads on the go at the moment that are basically about rebuilding trust in game. I think that's ace - it sends a good message to potential griefers. It might sink in eventually.

Β 

Pandora, as a third party product, shouldn't really have access to 3dxChat data. It's not a huge problem because in game data doesn't directly connect to real life data - tfft.

Β 

So it boils down to these two issues, to my mind. Given that the majority of people who voted are in favour of alts as they are, then the first issue becomes the live one. It is analogous to the question of what do you do about those people in society who refuse to accept society's norms.

Although Tlaera's response is spot on, to put it another way, no one needs to do anything. The poll results show very clearly that the community is against this idea by nearly a four-to-one margin. The only ones still pushing this are a few moralistic people who just can't seem to shake the need to tell others how to play.

Β 

The fact of the matter is that more and more players are becoming completely transparent about their alts, which is a welcome trend. And even those who have good reasons for being less than completely transparent with strangers are usually honest with their friends about who their alts are.

Β 

And if you meet someone who is less than forthcoming about their alts and who behavior is a concern, there is always Pandora. The funny thing about Pandora is that it basically proves that troublemakers are now using multiple accounts, not just multiple avis.Β 

Β 

The community is against it and the few trouble makers that it would thwart are already using multiple accounts.

Well said,Β it`s running good today.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Maybe someone could tell me if Pandora really does show that people are using multiple accounts, as from what I know of how it works I can't see how it can.

I think that part of your post is misinformation.

Β 

As for the poll results, I remember once reading an article about the gun laws in the US.

I think it was a politician who was trying to bring in tougher laws for people to be able to own guns.

There he pointed out that polls taken in meetings were not as accurate as they are being made out to be, where at most the votes were heavily in favour of keeping the laws the way they are.

He said that these meetings attracted gun owners more than anyone else, trying their best to keep their right to keep their guns.

When these meetings were held where these polls were taken more than 80% of the people that attended were gun owners.

They had much more interest in the outcome so were more prepared to take the time to attend.

But it did notΒ necessarily reflect the opinion of the broader community.

In the game when this subject comes up opinions do not seem to reflect what is shown in this poll.

Β 

It's funny how so many are saying that Pandora seems to be the answer and doing the job.

I have seen where someone said it is widely accepted now and now you are saying it resolves these issues.

So maybe we should start asking Gizmo to do his own, make it so we can pay say 5 or 10k to find out whos alts belong to who.

As it is so widely accepted and seems to resolve these issues shouldn't the money go to him and not some outside 3rd party?

On the last point, the worst offenders do use multiple accounts to trick others, this is widely known, but with each account there are three avis so two more times someone can fuck someone over after first being discovered, at the very least an @handle would remove the two extra times from each account, once people realized a particular troublemaker was behind a new @handle, that account would effectively be obsolete for that person and a lot of wasted time and pain would be spared.

If you have a problem with one, why don`t you ignore the person? It will ignore all characters on account. In this situation no need to know more If everything is okay. If someone disturb you,ignore them then.Β  Where is a problem?

Around 2 month I walked from room to room and had asking people around in local chat about what they need today.Β  I heard only that we need a stable adding new content like a poses, clothes and so on, and to fix bugs, glitches. Better than forum discussions.Β People today have learned to deal with small problems using ignore and report.Β People always say that first of all it is a sex game and adult community. So why can't we take a few simple steps?Β In the net a lot of date sites with personal info and so on. Don't turn what was created for fun into a detective game. This will generate even more drama.Β 

The main problem that the iggy system has with dealing with a lot of what goes on is can take days to weeks to even much longer to find out you are being subjected to one of these people.

I have had people create alts to try again with me when I have turned them down quite a few times and they are just the ones I found out about.

I have also had quite a few create alts to stalk, again they were just the ones I found out about.

Some you can figure out almost straight off, but others can take time to realise who they are.

On top of that because it happens so often and you hear of it happening to others you begin not to trust anyone new.

I found myself not responding to pms from people I didn't know or if I did, I really didn't give them much of a chance.

Β 

When Pandora got well known and used, I had so many people tell me about others that they had found had been playing with alts, where some had friended me with both.

I found myself trying to remember conversations we had had, and figure out if they used these alts to manipulate me, to many times I figured out they did.

Often I have found that different people think it is ok to create an alt to use it to build up another avi they have.

They say things like, you should get with ….., he is great and use it to influence you towards what they want you to do with their other avis, and that happens more often than you think.

They seem to think that is all part of the game and don't see anything wrong with it.

Now people may see that as I am trying to tell people how to play the game, to me it is trying to tell people to have a bit of respect.

Maybe someone could tell me if Pandora really does show that people are using multiple accounts, as from what I know of how it works I can't see how it can.

I think that part of your post is misinformation.

Β 

I did not say that Pandora shows whether or not people are using multiple accounts. If you read it that way, then my bad, but that is not what I meant. What I meant is that Pandora will often show that a certain player has no alts, even when their online behavior makes it obvious that someone created a new account just to make trouble.

On the first point, it is not about telling others how to play which seems to make it about controlling others on moralistic grounds, it's about trying to prevent people from getting abused/hurt when the alts are used to deceive. It's a game abuse issue.

Β 

You are entitled to your opinion and I am not going to argue the issue, but I disagree strongly. It is, in fact, not about abuse but about telling other people how to play the game.

Β 

In my opinion, there are essentially three kinds of players on 3DX (and many other sites like it): troublemakers, people who enable troublemakers, and people who do not enable troublemakers. If you don't enable troublemakers, there is no need to go about telling others how to play.Β 

You are entitled to your opinion and I am not going to argue the issue, but I disagree strongly. It is, in fact, not about abuse but about telling other people how to play the game.

Β 

In my opinion, there are essentially three kinds of players on 3DX (and many other sites like it): troublemakers, people who enable troublemakers, and people who do not enable troublemakers. If you don't enable troublemakers, there is no need to go about telling others how to play.Β 

Β 

Don't enable trouble makers, hmm, I think that is just a little bit harder to do than you are making out there, plus, is that how you are telling people they should play the game ?

If you have a problem with one, why don`t you ignore the person? It will ignore all characters on account. In this situation no need to know more If everything is okay. If someone disturb you,ignore them then.Β  Where is a problem?

Β 

The problem with the ignore feature is that it is reactive. The troublemakers have already caused trouble by the time you've iggied them. OK it makes it harder for them to do it again, without making a new account that is. I think what we're looking for is an ethos, if you like, where people generally reaspect each other. Yes it can happen through discussions like this one, changes to security (if Pandora is seen to be a problem) and generally letting people who cause trouble know that they aren't exactly welcome any more.

Β 

When I joined the assumption was that the people you met were pretty well OK until proved otherwise, that's the way it should be. For a long time we've had a situation where when you meet someoen new you wonder, might they be out to cause trouble. I think that is easing but there is a way to go yet.

Β 

I take issue with people like Robt, well that's the way I'm reading his posts at the moment, who suggest 'that's just the way it is'. It doesn't have to be, the difficult bit is tryng to work out what to do, which is why I welcome these discussions and involve myself in them. Almost without exception we are all looking to make 3dxChat better in some way or other. We want to play in our own way without being buggered about by idiots.

Β 

Like with so many situations in life a number of small things can make a big difference.

Rights? Is that the correct word in a virtual world? It’s about common decency, treating others how you would like to be treated. Most of us get this. It’s the few who don’t who’re the problem.

Don't enable trouble makers, hmm, I think that is just a little bit harder to do than you are making out there, plus, is that how you are telling people they should play the game ?

Β 

I am not telling anyone how to play the game. I am merely observing how we all play the game.

Β 

In this case, "not enabling trouble makers" is essentially the same thing I have always said in threads like this one. "Take responsibility for your own feelings and don't trust anyone just because they are act friendly." There are a lot of ways to describe it, and it is true that it is not easy.Β Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

I find it hilarious how in one post you manage to say that people want to be able to keep their alts as they are now which means to me private, since that's what most people expect even if it hasn't really been the case for quite a while, in the next sentence advocating using Pandora. False privacy is worse then no privacy, and Pandora becoming popular, and largely accepted is a big part of why I have changed my opinion on the issue. Also, it kind of bugs me how people pretend they don't know someone's alts when I know they use Pandora its kind of phony.

I find it hilarious how in one post you manage to say that people want to be able to keep their alts as they are now which means to me private

Β 

...[snip]...

Β 

Also, it kind of bugs me how people pretend they don't know someone's alts when I know they use Pandora its kind of phony.

Β 

Laugh all you want, but that isn't what I said. What's more, this baloney about people pretending they don't know someone's alts has nothing to do with anything I said, does it.Β 

That will happen when people stop trying to mind fuck others.Β  I have no issue with people wanting to "RP" but often times that's just an excuse to try to be sneaky. How many RPs do you know of where both parties aren't aware its just an RP?Β  If a RPer wants people to respect how they want to play the game then they need to respect how others want to play the game. Until that happens people will always look for a way to even the odds and i cant blame them.Β 

Β 

I have said it one hundred times, if you want a person to respect your play style, respect others play style.Β 

Bad one always will use any reason to hide themselves, no need to blame rp,alt or anything. I have said a lot of times about the same, but if someone too agressive, so i can be the same.

The problem with the ignore feature is that it is reactive. The troublemakers have already caused trouble by the time you've iggied them. OK it makes it harder for them to do it again, without making a new account that is. I think what we're looking for is an ethos, if you like, where people generally reaspect each other. Yes it can happen through discussions like this one, changes to security (if Pandora is seen to be a problem) and generally letting people who cause trouble know that they aren't exactly welcome any more.

Β 

When I joined the assumption was that the people you met were pretty well OK until proved otherwise, that's the way it should be. For a long time we've had a situation where when you meet someoen new you wonder, might they be out to cause trouble. I think that is easing but there is a way to go yet.

Β 

I take issue with people like Robt, well that's the way I'm reading his posts at the moment, who suggest 'that's just the way it is'. It doesn't have to be, the difficult bit is tryng to work out what to do, which is why I welcome these discussions and involve myself in them. Almost without exception we are all looking to make 3dxChat better in some way or other. We want to play in our own way without being buggered about by idiots.

Β 

Like with so many situations in life a number of small things can make a big difference.

Even if you check all the characters on someone's account you can't protect yourself 100% because you can be attacked from the base and because you can be attacked by a fresh Alt. This does not solve the problem and does not even soften.

For sure,Β We want to make 3dx better and play in our own way without being buggered about by idiots. So, i don`t want to be disturbed by one who knows my alt. I want the same to play in my own way. Where is a compromise?

I find it hilarious how in one post you manage to say that people want to be able to keep their alts as they are now which means to me private, since that's what most people expect even if it hasn't really been the case for quite a while, and in the next sentence advocate using Pandora. False privacy is worse then no privacy, and Pandora becoming popular, and largely accepted is a big part of why I have changed my opinion on the issue. Also, it kind of bugs me how people pretend they don't know someone's alts when I know they use Pandora its kind of phony.

One thing when you know someones alt, but you're silent. Another thing when you show you know it. As long as there are illegal methods to detect Alt, there's always a legal method to punish them. Not everyone use pandora, not everyone love dark-net. But if someone checked you, this one need to be silent.Β But if someone checked you, this one must to be silent. Every admin in every game can easy check you, but they are silent. Just an etiquette. Just a rule.

really nothing to talk about. lets be honest, people using alts to do silly shit is still going to happen, Pandora also isn't going anywhere so really its futile to talk about either stopping because neither are going anywhere so i will just agree to disagree

Disagree. People use alts in a different way. And people do a silly shit without alts.Β 

one last thing, i can check someones alt without Pandora and by things currently in game that's not against the rules. its not like Pandora is the only way. Its very easy but time consuming. so even if Pandora vanished, doesnt mean anything. people would still find out peoples alts

Sometimes this method just impossible. And one last thing, if someone use information about another user in a bad way, this bad one can be reported.

It comes down to why the game 3DX exists in the first place and why people fork out their hard-earned money to play it. They did not pay cash and download it because they wanted to be stressed and angry, they play it because they want to escape, have fun and enhance their lives in some small way. No-one pays money and joins a community to feel shit afterwards. Anything which works against this principle must be acknowledged and hopefully dealt with by the Devs so the majority of people can get on with the experience they paid for.

Agree at all.

yes but if they do silly shit without alts, they have repercussions. on alts they dont because nobody knows who it is. Β  you can defend people mind fucking all you want under the pretense of "rp". everyone knows that's just an excuse to try to get away with fucking people over on alts. so by all means i implore "rpers" to continue doing it, you will continue being outed. have at it ;)

lol some of them dont care aboutΒ Β repercussions and still living well today. And some smart of them can mind drilling alot without alts or without hidding under rp. I felt it on myself not one time. bad one can`t hide under rp if you know exactly what rp is. If you was damaged, no one reason cant help to one who did it. roleplayer or not, will be reported anyway.