3DXChat Community

so...uhhhh...... unity's new charging plan?

Lunarelf

I wouldn't worry too much.

"Unity Personal and Unity Plus: The Unity Runtime Fee will apply to games that have made $200,000 USD or more in the last 12 months AND have at least 200,000 per-game lifetime installs.

Unity Pro and Unity Enterprise: The Unity Runtime Fee will apply to games that have made $1,000,000 USD or more in the last 12 months AND have at least 1,000,000 per-game lifetime installs."

On 9/13/2023 at 11:51 AM, Gizmo said:

We have nothing to worry about 😀 lol

Well think what people are referring to being big problem is this part(attachement):

Which means its according to many that are now abandoning unity is lifetime install tax, which means for every copy that been installed ever including from what I understand early access installment, which from my understanding of what people have posted include early access/beta. I have read some say Game pass and subscriptions are exempted but I don't know how much trust I would put into that, if its subforum comment saying it and its not achieved or screened as later proof. Since some have tendencies of later removing "Proof" of having said such is stance change or they were wrong.

But I don't know would probably have it a close look over and look at what others developers been saying about the changes, I know 0.20$USD isn't per say a lot at first sound, but if you take every install ever made since 3dxchat creation into that pool it will become a lot, sound like the changes wont take affect until 1st January 2024, but I don't know if Subscription models are exempted because its not considered distribution then maybe it wont be a issue, but probably worth checking or getting some solid confirmation and keeping the receipts?

Perinstall.jpg

6 hours ago, TashaTight said:

Well think what people are referring to being big problem is this part(attachement):

Which means its according to many that are now abandoning unity is lifetime install tax, which means for every copy that been installed ever including from what I understand early access installment, which from my understanding of what people have posted include early access/beta. I have read some say Game pass and subscriptions are exempted but I don't know how much trust I would put into that, if its subforum comment saying it and its not achieved or screened as later proof. Since some have tendencies of later removing "Proof" of having said such is stance change or they were wrong.

But I don't know would probably have it a close look over and look at what others developers been saying about the changes, I know 0.20$USD isn't per say a lot at first sound, but if you take every install ever made since 3dxchat creation into that pool it will become a lot, sound like the changes wont take affect until 1st January 2024, but I don't know if Subscription models are exempted because its not considered distribution then maybe it wont be a issue, but probably worth checking or getting some solid confirmation and keeping the receipts?

Perinstall.jpg

if it's only adding $0.2 per selling, it will be okay like giz said... but think about what will happened if unity charges the downloads before 2024.1.1 ...... it will be a nightmare for all game companies—— and nobody survives.

44 minutes ago, Lunarelf said:

if it's only adding $0.2 per selling, it will be okay like giz said... but think about what will happened if unity charges the downloads before 2024.1.1 ...... it will be a nightmare for all game companies—— and nobody survives.

Its not per selling its per install meaning how many times you install the game on devices, think same device like PC without huge changes will be excluded it sounded like. Sorta like win10 license works I assume where after undergoing rapid changes to device it may trigger new install count, but the other aspect is lifetime elements which from what I understand will count on, which could potentially add more consecutive triggers from subs returnining, buying new devices over time and so forth it could presumely end with a lot like some youtubers been pointing out.

EDIT: Just example say you have a stationary PC, laptop and tablet and have 3xchat installed on all three that be 0.6$ for those three installs, then apply that on a larger scale and add over time where buying new PC may trigger a new install and so forth.

Edited by TashaTight

Then further is life to date install could which I assume count from when it got live 1st January 2024 in which I believe they count sales from that date on, if you're active or inactive would probably not matter assume it would count in subs even if you just try 3dxchat 1month, so sales treshold could probably run up pretty quickly if that is the case over a games lifetime if it continue acquiring new sales or users.

https://nordic.ign.com/news/72666/why-unitys-new-install-fees-are-spurring-massive-backlash-among-game-developers

Unity further lays out the minimum revenue and install count to qualify, with different thresholds for developers using Unity Personal/Unity Plus, Unity Pro, and Unity Enterprise. For smaller indie developers who use Unity Personal/Unity Plus, they'll have to pay Unity $0.20 per install once their game passes $200,000 in revenue over the last 12 months and 200,000 life-to-date installs. This new policy has caused a lot of backlash among developers, who are raising concerns about free-to-play games, charity bundles, and more.

Edited by TashaTight