3DXChat Community

Security breached?

BKraig

Strange experience happened to me last week. A friend told me he knew the name of my alternate character. I do have a second avi but have not played with that character but in a long time (3-4 months) and it has no friends. Months ago I decided I wanted to see what it was like to play the game as a male and made a second character. I played with him only once or twice and it did not do anything for me. He now just sits there neglected on my log in screen.

So, how is it that another player knows that I have this character and even knows the name? He says another friend told him. Could a dev have shared this info?

It is called API. Thus some sites offer it as paid premium service there is the options to access some basic data via API if you know how.

Its not really secret data. You just can access what you see ingame anyway. With a little effort you can do crossreference to find peoples alt without any tools either. So yeah... Paranoid people play Alt-Buster nowadays.

Your creditcard and payment data is processed thru a different server so that should be save. This API Thing might look scary but its nothing else the just a handy summary tool of the data you can see anyway.

I really wish the owners would resolve this. No mater how you look at it, this is a betrayal of trust in my mind.

Not only can they review your history of alts, they can also see all the images you posted online.  So if you have an image you showed a friend for a brief moment you didn't want anyone else to see... I'm afraid they have it in their database for someone with Pandora software to see, copy to their local drive and do what they will with it.

We expect our privacy to be protected but I guess that does not mater to them. Sure, you pay your money and take your chances. Still, it does not make it right to be left unprotected.