3DXChat Community

new patch problems?

Lovers

OK, for those of you who are not especially computer literate, perhaps an explanation of the updating process would be helpful.  (If any of the following is incorrect, someone please let me know and I will revise accordingly.)

This is what happens when a new update is issued:

1. The out-of-date client closes as soon as you run it.

2. The new patcher is downloaded to the game file.

3. The new patcher runs automatically, unzipping and installing the updated game files.

If the update is successful, the updated client will then run automatically.

When people have trouble updating, it is usually because of a problem during Step 3 above. 

There are several things that can go wrong. The two most common issues are that either a modded dll prevents the update from completing successfully or the patcher needs to be run with administrator privileges.

In both cases, the patcher itself has already downloaded properly. So theoretically, all you need to do is remove the modded dll and then rerun the patcher in the game folder with administrator privileges. If that does not work, then try uninstalling the game and doing a fresh installation using the last stable installer (build 363 at present) from the 3DX website. If even that doesn't work, then there is another issue we need to identify.

Also, when you add a modded dll to the game folder, DO NOT delete the original file. Rename the original dll by adding “org” or some other easy to understand symbol to the filename.

Then, when a new update is issued, delete the modded dll and change the original dll back to the original name before running the patcher.

Again, if any of the above is mistaken or incomplete, let me know and I will make corrections appropriately. 

**Edited 2017-07-10 to add info about last stable installer

so, I used everyones advice, thank you all btw :-) the patch went through, yay! However, now I have no cursor in the game, I move my mouse around blindly hoping to somehow find what I am trying to interact with. Any ideas? 

I have no cursor in the game, I move my mouse around blindly hoping to somehow find what I am trying to interact with. Any ideas? 

Is this not covered in the Basic Game Manual, which is pinned to the top of this Forum? 

Shift + C will return your cursor.

ok I was having the same issue  with the update  uninstalled and re-installed several times with no luck

i tried installing the 363 version  it worked just fine updated to 364 and patch went fine  in game now

if you still have 363 installer i would try it

What everyone needs is CUSTOMER SERVICE!

If there is an issue, tell us next to the login screen.

Yes 3DXChat, we are customers.  We deserve better.  It would take 2 minutes to add a link to a forum post explaining the current situation.

Stop taking it personally.  We're actually on your side, we just need to know.

PLEASE!

Xanar, on 09 Jul 2017 - 05:44 AM, said:snapback.png

So I am using Win7, so I am not sure if that's the reason but you all can try to run Patcher.exe as admin.

Then, if that fails, make sure that you disable antivir just for the update and try again.

Thanks X :-)

Guest Mulan

My patcher just asked to run as admin anyway (the UAC popped up), so my update worked with no problem and that is with the anti-virus and firewall running.

I am running the latest Windows 10.

stop it, go into your 3dx folder, find the file called patcher. right click it, run as admin. should work

7FZla8NnQ0mNi49-idnrlw.png

To fix the Update Patcher will not finish issue:

1) Start 3DXChat by

2) Right Clicking on the Game Launcher

3) Select Run As Administrator.

4) That's it.

No need to disable Anti Virus or Re-Download.

This works and is easy, even if you don't have like mad tech skills...which I don't :D

Guys who have this bug with Patcher let me know please does the game installed to Program Files folder on your PC right?

It seems that Patcher has no permission to write data to the game folder in Program Files. Run the patcher as Administartor to fix this.

PS: Also we have to change the default installation game folder and add a few checks to the patcher I think.

Any writing activity inside Windows's system or program folder requires elevated rights since Windows 7. Changing the default installation path to something like "C:\Games\" may fix the issue for some users, but that really depends on their local configurations.

You can try starting the patcher process with elevated prompt by letting the OS handle the execution:

ProcessStartInfo processStartInfo = new ProcessStartInfo("Patcher.exe")
{
    UseShellExecute = true,
    Verb = "runas"
};
try
{
    Process.Start(processStartInfo);
}
catch (Win32Exception ex)
{
    if (ex.NativeErrorCode == 1223)
    {
        // The user has canceled the UAC request
        // Show some error message window here
    }
    else
    {
        throw;
    }
}

Though it may fail to elevate rights if the user has the UAC off.

It is also possible to check if the user has admin rights in advance like this:

WindowsPrincipal windowsPrincipal = new WindowsPrincipal(WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent());
bool isAdmin = windowsPrincipal.IsInRole(WindowsBuiltInRole.Administrator);

Maybe also check the Windows version: if (System.Environment.OSVersion.Version.Major < 6) — no need to elevate anything. Not sure if the game will even start on XP though :)