3DXChat Community

DJing in Public Places (attempt #2)

DocQ

My application is a part of the statement that I wanted to make above Nikki, it isn't a separate subject to me, people ask me all the time how come more local DJ's just don't take over public streams, and I reply to them that I do not know.  There used to be a few that would jump in and make a party of it, and most people would have a really good time.  So shouldn't I be able to post my opinion? I always have felt that the forums are a place to post how you feel about the game, and the direction you might want it to go, etc...

I understand about events, and they are great to be able to plan for, but there is a time and place for both kinds of DJ's and/or both kinds of events, as there is a time and place for a lot of different things.  I feel like so many more things could be done when it comes to the music, and peoples enjoyments.  That is what this is all supposed to be about, or so I thought.... I never imagined that the purpose of this game would be to draw people in to socialize, but then seperate them all again into separate rooms.

Achillies,  if you think this was all to get attention then I am afraid you have misunderstood me from the beginning.  That happens sometimes, especially when part of the issue is a language barrier, as is this is the case to some degree between you and I talking.

The music, has always been about the music, and the affects it has on people, and what it can do for them.  People look at music in many different ways, and I do not believe there is any way which you could call better, then the next.  You call me a self provider which is a far cry and gross misunderstanding of what I am about.  If I was a self provider I would certainly not be playing music for everyone to enjoy, I would be playing it to myself, and for myself.  Self Provider means doing a service for ones self, not other people.

By saying you don't need anti-EDM parties is like saying you only want people to disagree with you IF they take a certain side.  Freedom of speech and being able to express yourself in a certain way is a right of every human being.  My whole point to Anti_EDM is about the music that was made by an artist.  If I had written a love song, and I spent weeks on it, maybe months getting the lyrics down exactly the way I wanted, and the melody just fit it perfectly, then this would be MY song, I am the one that spent months perfecting it and writing it, and spending MY time doing that, no one else's.  What I have against some EDM music is the fact that they take an artists hard work, his blood sweat and tears(if you will), and turn that into something completely different then what the artist had dreamed about HIS song being.  I completely disagree with that, BUT once again, it is just my humble opinion, and I am entitled to it :).  You don't have to agree with it, but I do ask that you respect it, just as I respect you for some things that you did, like put down the directions and instructions on how to stream in your own room.  Being a music lover like yourself, you know how changing just a note, or a brief pause in a song can change its whole meaning.  I would feel better about EDM if people would just write their own music for it.  I have even taken the time to interview and speak with artists about this, and have cared enough to discuss with them the positives and negatives of EDM music.  Do I have the right to create my own party rooms?  I think I do.  Why Anti-EDM room would be frowned upon by you as a community leader does not make sense to me, especially when they have rooms called 'grab a slut and fuck" or "mommy's day off so come in and I will fuck her, even tho im her son"... is anti-EDM worse then those?  Again, just an opinion.

It strikes me as funny as you think I want to try and work my way back into public....I never even thought about it until a lot of people asked me if I would do it, because they get so bored with the streams in NC, and other places.  So I said I would try, and I have, and you believe I would not be a good fit.  Ok, that is your opinion, and you are certainly entitled to it :)

I regret we will not be able to work together, take care :)

We all KNOW exactly what "Anti" means. Its not a language barrier issue. I have not heard a single EDM DJ here EVER bash any other music types. However, the hardcore rock crowd is always very vocal about how they think rock is the only REAL music. I happen to like most all music. I don't really care for country, but i am not on a crusade to destroy it simply because I don't enjoy it. I recognize the face that millions of people DO enjoy it. Like Achilles said... each genre of music is its own art form. This fact is not dependent on your acceptance.

Also too many people confuse what "freedom of speech" really means.  Freedom of speech does not mean you get to say whatever you want without repercussion. It simply means you cannot be arrested, detained,jailed, etc by the government for stating your opinion. If you want to test this theory... go to work and tell you boss to get fucked and see how that works out for you. You can also READ the constitution because its clearly stated what freedom of speech is.

Thank you Doc other than DJ Trena there are no options for any other music except the typical EDM or mash mix ...yes I know a lot of people like it but there are a lot of us that don't.....we pay every month just like they do so it's only fair we are afforded the option of music we enjoy just as they are ....it seems the only public rooms not playing said music are the sin club thank you DJ Trena and well Cover Song Island or Love Island as it's called .....it's about time we have some choices and not the sad choices we are given at this time .....

I play at LI minimum 2 - 3 times a week and currently have official 2 events planned for there, one of them is a join event with Trena. Also, OliU and Darkangel have done recent events at LI , have one event planned for this weekend, and do events at SC as well. The public DJs are very active. Just because you arent around when the events happen or choose not to be part of them doesn't mean we are not active.

I just feel we are entitled to the same enjoyment of music as are those that like edm .....we pretty much having to learn to like it or listen to cover songs and very poor ones at that in the other public rooms unless DJ Trena is in the sin club .....I just think there needs to be some balance and fairness to those that don't care for edm ....after all we pay just like they do ....

There is 1 public location that plays EDM. 

Rock and EDM are very popular here and I love both. Each genre also has its own dedicated public location. Saya hit the nail on head with her post. If anyone should be upset, its the people who like blues, jazz, classical, etc. Lazo has a blues club he opens from time to time and has even had lave DJs spinning blues. Coming on here and complaining in such a way that it offends people is not the way to go. it's no one's fault that EDM is popular here. 

What people should do is get together with other like minded people and open up alternative rooms with diff music types. FairyDust has plans of doing this with her new club and Saya just had a very successful party with 5 or 6 diff alternative genres, a few of which I am guessing have never even been heard on a large scale in 3dx.

Perfect point Saya as you pointed out most of the public DJ's are EDM DJ's yet we are told over and over that all genres of music are supported  equally ....maybe i'm missing something please enlighten me .....thank you ....

Sorry but your assumption that most public DJs are EDM DJs is flat out wrong and untrue. In fact.. MOST active public DJs are rock DJs.

Yes we are left to go to users rooms if we want any good music other than EDM .....so what does that say about supporting different genres of music ??? in my opinion it says very little on behalf of us that feel we should be afforded options in public rooms like the EDM fans are ....you know the music on love island and in the old night club is sub par at best ....we would just like to be able to go to public rooms and hear music we enjoy but it seems the powers that be don't want or think we are entitled ....i'm extremely frustrated as are a lot of other members .....

Again.. there is only ONE public location that plays EDM.

I can honestly say that I have never attacked anyone personally in game or in the forums.  Especially when it came to trying to be given a nod to DJ in public places.  All I ever did was ask Achilles to respond to me PM's to him about how I go about becoming one.  Then when I posted in here because he seemed too busy with real life and other things, I was attacked for doing so. Those that know the real me, know I don't treat people disrespectfully and I do not hold any grudges.

I just want a fair chance, just like a few others in here that would like a fair chance to do what they enjoy doing, and choose to at their own expense.

Like I posted earlier, this started to become a personal attack on me for some reason.  If anyone that knows me knows of a time when I did NOT try to make you enjoy this game more, please say so.  I do this for the music, and for the people...

Not myself....

When you support and host parties like: Anti-EDM... it kind of shows your thought process, whether intentional or not... actions speak louder than words. I agree with Achilles on this topic and personally, i myself do not want anyone with this attitude as part of official DJ team. We should help and support one another, not spit in someone else's face because their interests don't match up to yours.

I have seen parties, public ones with just the poster at the NC and a posting in events generate 100 or more listeners. So I think that it depends on the event.

I agree. Our last party that was organized by Lussian hit 125 people in a user room. There was no sticky, and in fact, the forum post didnt even go up until 2 days before the event took place. But it was 8 of the best EDM Djs playing that awful  music that no one likes. :P

The DJs are a huge part of why people come to these parties. of course it also has to do with planning and advertising, I'm not taking away from that. Saya, Eraphia, and the others involved with ToL have done a fantastic job in organizing these parties and yes it does make a huge difference, but to think the DJs have little to do with the success of a party is just a very naive thought process. Most people do not understand what goes into live beat mixing EDM. I can assure you, its not at all like playing your favorite songs on winamp.

Guest MeganMasters

I dont like EDM but that has nothing to do with anything really.I go for the atmosphere. As someone who doesnt dj at all but listens to many great ones and has heard confusion as to the process or think okay just pm the right person to listen.. i think a simple post outliing the process for everyone would help a lot.

When people know the process or where they lay in line to be listened to its so juch easier to view it as fair. I have to say I aopreciate anyone who puts time into learning how to stream. I have heard some amazing and fun rooms... as well as local spots on occasion im there when a dj is on. I dont have the best timing I admit.... but basically all im saying is make the process clear and make sure there is a nice mix of genres and Megan is a happy woman.

I think that people are forgetting that DJs are self-funded and do it for the love of music and is not getting any thing from 3DX for their services. Management of these value-added services takes time, personal time. Without them public locations would just be radio stations. I suppose people would like to go back to that. I like EDM sometimes, I prefer Dub, House, well I love many genres. If the music in the club is not something I want to hear I play my own. My nice way of putting it.

The fact that DJ'S are self funded is not forgotten you must not be reading the comments ....they are applauded for doing the selfless work they do...the problem is how they are selected and what genres they are selected to play ....i'm willing to guess 80% of the DJ'S selected are playing EDM or club mixes ...how is that right or fair in anyway??? the ones that prefer other genres of music are left with sub par cover songs and very few DJ'S that play what non EDM lovers want and rightly deserve to listen too ..we pay to be here just like they do ...

I dont like EDM but that has nothing to do with anything really.I go for the atmosphere. As someone who doesnt dj at all but listens to many great ones and has heard confusion as to the process or think okay just pm the right person to listen.. i think a simple post outliing the process for everyone would help a lot.

When people know the process or where they lay in line to be listened to its so juch easier to view it as fair. I have to say I aopreciate anyone who puts time into learning how to stream. I have heard some amazing and fun rooms... as well as local spots on occasion im there when a dj is on. I dont have the best timing I admit.... but basically all im saying is make the process clear and make sure there is a nice mix of genres and Megan is a happy woman.

Well said Megan ...all we are asking for is fairness in all aspects including the selection process of the DJ'S as well as some balance in the DJ'S that are selected....it's not rocket science it can be done and it will make everyone happy ....after all isn't that what a community is all about???

....i'm willing to guess 80% of the DJ'S selected are playing EDM or club mixes ...how is that right or fair in anyway??? the ones that prefer other genres of music are left with sub par cover songs and very few DJ'S that play what non EDM lovers want and rightly deserve to listen too ..we pay to be here just like they do ...

Sorry but this is so far from reality. 

Trena, OliU, Darkangel, and myself are very active in playing non-EDM. While i also do play EDM, most of my public sessions are at LI. I do not play EDM in public very often.

The only VERY active public EDM DJ is MissyB.   Thats 4 to 1 by my count.

If I am missing something or I have this information wrong, please correct me.

My point is that the Rock DJs are a lot more active than EDM DJs and thats simply because its a lot more time consuming to prepare a EDM mix than to put together a rock playlist. 

We all KNOW exactly what "Anti" means. Its not a language barrier issue. I have not heard a single EDM DJ here EVER bash any other music types. However, the hardcore rock crowd is always very vocal about how they think rock is the only REAL music. I happen to like most all music. I don't really care for country, but i am not on a crusade to destroy it simply because I don't enjoy it. I recognize the face that millions of people DO enjoy it. Like Achilles said... each genre of music is its own art form. This fact is not dependent on your acceptance.

Also too many people confuse what "freedom of speech" really means.  Freedom of speech does not mean you get to say whatever you want without repercussion. It simply means you cannot be arrested, detained,jailed, etc by the government for stating your opinion. If you want to test this theory... go to work and tell you boss to get fucked and see how that works out for you. You can also READ the constitution because its clearly stated what freedom of speech is.

We are vocal because we are the ones being screwed i'm willing to bet you 80% of the current line up of DJ'S are EDM and club mix DJ'S ....they are playing in the majority of the public places ....those who don't like or want to hear said music are told to listen to their own or go to a private room where the genre they like is being played. Please explain how that is a fair practice...Yes I don't like EDM or club mix music at all ...that being said do I not deserve the same consideration that the EDM fans get or are we a second class part of this community ??? and I use the word community considering that's what this game was meant to be but has been lost along the way ..I have made harsh comments about EDM and I was wrong to approach things that way ....I think we just need some balance so this is a community as it was meant too be

We are vocal because we are the ones being screwed i'm willing to bet you 80% of the current line up of DJ'S are EDM and club mix DJ'S ....they are playing in the majority of the public places ....those who don't like or want to hear said music are told to listen to their own or go to a private room where the genre they like is being played. Please explain how that is a fair practice...Yes I don't like EDM or club mix music at all ...that being said do I not deserve the same consideration that the EDM fans get or are we a second class part of this community ??? and I use the word community considering that's what this game was meant to be but has been lost along the way ..I have made harsh comments about EDM and I was wrong to approach things that way ....I think we just need some balance so this is a community as it was meant too be

For the 3rd time... you are wrong. if you want true balance, we need more active EDM DJs. You are not working with facts. There are currently more active rock DJs streaming to public locations.

As I said... The current selection will changed! It's anymore not needed to discuss this topic :)
Because about the "wont to become a DJ application" PM is all what I read all the time "I want become a public DJ"...

Who want this not, I think everyone want this, with or without talent and experiences ^^ :P
But now I need agree, no one asked the community if she want this dj too...

But about the new idea will this change all things and I mean no friend Vote contest etc.

Also will this save my time and made it for myself possible to be more active :)

Oh with the new idea is it needed to follow DJ & Community rules all the time, if this topic changes more in the wrong direction will this not be helpful for some ppl ^^

Show me the proof and I will retract my statement but until then I have my doubts .....

You can doubt all you want. The nice thing about facts are.. they don't need anyone to agree with them. Facts are facts whether you like it or not.

Example: I hate that millions of people like the Kardashians, but the fact remains, they are loved by millions of people.  See how this works?

MissyB & Myself are the only EDM DJs that are active on regular basis and i'm way more active on LI than I am in FC.  

This sense of entitlement cracks me up. The developers offer radio, the DJ's offer entertainment. You don't pay for that. I have DJ'd and still do other places from time to time. The cost, I am not going to go into specific detail, but base in many cases, such as my own is 10.00 USD per month for a server which does not include the cost of music. Because I like live request, doing so I like to subscribe to a content service to save money and be able to get the songs I need. That is another monthly fee. I am not going to assume the charges that the official DJs incur. It is none of my business. However, it is a choice, they do it for the community and love of music. They pay their monthly fee like everyone else. So by the argument, "I pay like everyone else" should the monthly fee be raised to equal the costs of what DJs pay? No.It is an added bonus and you choose to listen or not. 

This sense of entitlement cracks me up. The developers offer radio, the DJ's offer entertainment. You don't pay for that. I have DJ'd and still do other places from time to time. The cost, I am not going to go into specific detail, but base in many cases, such as my own is 10.00 USD per month for a server which does not include the cost of music. Because I like live request, doing so I like to subscribe to a content service to save money and be able to get the songs I need. That is another monthly fee. I am not going to assume the charges that the official DJs incur. It is none of my business. However, it is a choice, they do it for the community and love of music. They pay their monthly fee like everyone else. So by the argument, "I pay like everyone else" should the monthly fee be raised to equal the costs of what DJs pay? No.It is an added bonus and you chooe to listen or not. 

Your obviously part of the clique but say what you will ....your still missing the point .yes I agree that it is a bonus and the dj's  don't get paid for what they do ...my argument is a dj that follows the rules and meets the requirements should not be looked over and personally attacked because they don't play what Achilles thinks they should play ....Doc deserves a chance just as any of the others that are doing it now ...or are they afraid he will do a much better job than what is currently being done ....the only DJ I see that is any good is DJ Trena ....the rest not so much .....

When you support and host parties like: Anti-EDM... it kind of shows your thought process, whether intentional or not... actions speak louder than words. I agree with Achilles on this topic and personally, i myself do not want anyone with this attitude as part of official DJ team. We should help and support one another, not spit in someone else's face because their interests don't match up to yours.

you mean spit in someone's face like your doing Doc;s because his interests don't match yours .... and who made you judge,jury and executioner???Oh that's right Achilles did dare I forget ....I've been to places when you Dj and to be honest Doc is a far better DJ than you could hope too be ...and that's not just my opinion .... 

the only DJ I see that is any good is DJ Trena ....the rest not so much .....

and to be honest Doc is a far better DJ than you could hope too be ...and that's not just my opinion .... 

You are spitting in other DJ's faces because their music doesn't match your taste ? I'm sure hundreds of people enjoy what the current DJ's offer.

If you think this is the best way to defend the ones you like, then you are mistaken, you don't get "fairness and respect" by being disrespectful.

You seem to enjoy keeping this going, but just in case you hadn't paid attention :

Ok I think we stop for now the current DJ application.

I think we should try an alternate way to make it easier and fairer for everyone  :)

More infos coming soon but for now no new DJ application PM needed!

I'm sure you will love the new way! The community will be a part of DJ selection.

Thanks for understanding.

Guest Twiggy

I have been reading through this as much as I can with the limited time I have right now, so I can't say everything I would like to say just yet but will touch on what people have been saying about the legal side of streaming.

It seems that people think if they purchase a song, then pay for the stream from the likes of apple music they are legal to stream it out to others, if that is what you are doing you are not legal.

No matter what service you use to supply your stream, being soundcast or any of those type of streaming services, they do not supply a license to stream music, they only supply a product that allows you to be able to.

Any stream you get from apple music or any of those subscription based music providers for say $10 a month is for supply to you only, you are not licensed to re stream that music out to others.

You can in fact fin that in their terms of use.

To be able to stream to others the owners of the rights to the music you are streaming are entitled to royalties every time it is streamed.

Those royalties are collected by different agencies in different counties, in Australia it is APRA, in the US there are several, ASCAP and SESAC being the main ones.

Royalties are collected through use of the ISRC code which is assigned to every published recording throughout the world.

Here in Australia if you are broadcasting music either through a radio station or via the net each month you need to complete a spreadsheet in the form supplied by APRA with the ISRC code for songs you have played and how many times they have been played.

There is a set charge which is the same for every song and you total the counts up and send a cheque with that information.

That is the legal way to do it if you were to do it yourself and remains the cheapest way you can.

There are many services on the net that claim to cover licensing and allow you to broadcast music under blanket license, these are not legal and the music industry has been coming down on them in recent times.

I am fairly sure that is what happened when 3DXChat lost it's music not long back.

Blanket licenses are not meant for what these websites are trying to use them for, there is no way of determining which artists is entitled to what for one thing.

Blanket licenses are only really there for places like shopping malls and restaurants where they play background music, and even then that money really only goes into the music industry and not to the artists. 

There are some legal web services that can provide music you can stream legally, but in no way will you get that for $10 a month.

My suggestion if being legal is such an issue, and I agree that it should be, then Gizmo himself should supply the license that all the DJs can use.

He can do that through web services like this one....

https://www.streamlicensing.com/?action=page&page=pricing

Notice the pricing ?

My advise there is he open a server and an off shoot service and declare just a low monthly take for that service.

Sorry to be so aggressive as people keep saying I am in here, but this is something I know quite a bit about and have had to review for other things in my past.

I have kept quiet up til now but there seems to be a lot of confusion on the matter so I thought it time to speak up.

As for DocQ and what this thread is all about, I have known him for a long time in here, he is a good guy that has always shown me and others respect.

I can see points from both him and Achilles, both seem to be frustrated with things that have been going on.

Should Doc have expected a fairly prompt answer to his application, yes why not.

Should Achilles feel obliged to give quick responses, no he should not as he does this for nothing.

Both are right which shows the real problem here, something needs to be done to address all the requests, it should not all be on Achilles to address every single application.

I think from what Achilles has said he has realised that himself and is working on something, a better way to receive applications.

What people are calling disrespect by both to each other I see as frustration.

I know both of you, you are both good friends of mine and I know if the 2 of you got together in mind to sort it out you would.

I have seen Doc DJing, he is good and entertaining and can also verify that there have been quite a few people ask him to do it in public places.

He started DJing in his room just for fun and to entertain people that came in.

The way he DJs and the music he plays is not to everyones liking but there are lots that do like it and I think the same could be said for every DJ in here.

Sorry if I have offended anyone, it was not my intention.