3DXChat Community

A General Survey about Avatars in 3DXChat

XenophiliusLovegood

A General Survey about Avatars in 3DXChat  

48 members have voted

1. 1. How many avatars do you have in your account?

2. 2. What avatar genders do you use and what sex has the operator?

• 1 x Male avatar, Male operated
    • 1 x Female avatar, Male operated
    • 2 x Male avatar, Male operated
    • 1 x Male avatar, 1 x Female avatar, Male operated
    • 2 x Female avatar, Male operated
    • 3 x Male avatar, Male operated
    • 2 x Male avatar, 1 x Female avatar, Male operated
    • 1 x Male avatar, 2 x Female avatar, Male operated
    • 3 x Female avatar, Male operated
    • 1 x Male avatar, Female operated
    • 1 x Female avatar, Female operated
    • 2 x Male avatar, Female operated
    • 1 x Male avatar, 1 x Female avatar, Female operated
    • 2 x Female avatar, Female operated
    • 3 x Male avatar, Female operated
    • 2 x Male avatar, 1 x Female avatar, Female operated
    • 1 x Male avatar, 2 x Female avatar, Female operated
    • 3 x Female avatar, Female operated
  3. 3. How is the temporal use of your avatars distributed?

• I have a main avatar, using mostly. If I have additional avatars, I use them randomly.
    • I have two avatars I use mostly and one randomly.
    • I use all avatars in a similar way.
    • I would like to prefer not to answer this question.

LMAO, the irony....

whinge
[(h)winj]

VERB
whinging (present participle)
  1. complain persistently and in a peevish or irritating way.
    "stop whingeing and get on with it!"
    synonyms: complain · grouse · grouch · grumble · whine · moan · carp · mutter · murmur · whisper · mither · twine · gripe · bellyache · bitch · beef

How often do you talk to yourself in a day? x)

So, your point is? There isn't data? There is, the problem for you is you just don't like it. The last set was good enough as it came from a site that has a purpose for game developers.

Go find some you do like, prove me wrong, that's fine. In fact I welcome it, as I said to you in that thread. Pull your finger out, stop whinging and do something that moves the discussion forward. Look hard enough and you'll find data - each with it's own good points and bad points. That is the nature of statistical data - it is up to the reader to decide if i's good or bad and to work out a sensible interpretation of it. Go for it Mar_Mohan, you can do it!

Good night from here too

N o Fu c k in G Dis Cus s i O n  Co Uld Goi N g Fo wA rd with At Ta rd eD Ppl'S Li k e Fo LLo wed

So, your point is? There isn't data? There is, the problem for you is you just don't like it. The last set was good enough as it came from a site that has a purpose for game developers.

Go find some you do like, prove me wrong, that's fine. In fact I welcome it, as I said to you in that thread. Pull your finger out, stop whinging and do something that moves the discussion forward. Look hard enough and you'll find data - each with it's own good points and bad points. That is the nature of statistical data - it is up to the reader to decide if i's good or bad and to work out a sensible interpretation of it. Go for it Mar_Mohan, you can do it!

Good night from here too

You don't like that the data you're claiming doesn't have anything to do with this game, is inaccurate. I have no reason to present data as there isn't any that represent what you or I say as what data you showed before was proven invalid and non-representation of this game.  Yet you keep saying it is.

I don't need to find any as there isn't any for either of us to use that is accurate representation of this game, period.  Me whinging, I'm just stating the cold hard facts.  Whinging to me is about getting hugged in a sex game, but that's each own.  I have been you're the one that mentions data and even when you presented it before you proved wrong.  Please present that again and you'll get the same response.  You can't pull data that doesn't exist or represent this game.  I know how statistical data works that's why I'm explaining it to you.  Go for it, bring on the data you claim exists that represents this game.  It's clear this survey doesn't as several have said it.

The data I've suggested was relevant. The one that clinched that perticular discussion included 3dxChat by name, the old secondlife data was valid because it is a similar game in many ways, my analysis of  the other data was from games that reflected similar attriubutes to 3dxChat. So in that sense infinitely better than any data you have come up with.

Are you trying to say that people who mostly use one avi even though they may have others are in a minority? That is totally unsupported. The Pandora data is limited because it doesn't include people who mostly use one avi but have another they use occassionally. Similarly it doesn't include those people who mostly use one avi but have two others they use occassionally. As I recall it the analysis was just one, two or threes avis on each account. As a result it will always give a lower result than Xeno's question of using mostly one avi, which will of course give a slightly high result because of there being no definition of what he sees as mostly. So combine the two and it's safe to say that a majority of users use one avi, a majority being more than 50%. So thinking it through a bit we can say people who use mostly one avi constitute more than 50% of the user base but less that 75% - I think we'd find with more, and better data the result would tend toward around 60 or 65%. Now that seems quite reasonable to me, even if it isn't verified as yet.

Are you also trying to say that there is no gender imbalance in game? That flies in the face of RobT's assertion that most women avis are played by men and we know you always agree with RobT. In any case the data we have on that shows that male users outweigh female by a factor of about five, maybe even more.

Maybe you're objecting to the idea that survey data suitably tested and anlysed is not a basis for making any sort of decision. Any survey, even professional ones, suffer from limitations. If you're going to use them then you need to be aware of these and do your best with what you have. Which is what I am trying to do here.

In this particular case I think my analysis of this data is fair. If you think otherwise then find the data that is out there and present it. Support your case with your own data and analysis.

Basically you are saying all data is false because you don't want to go lookign for it. If you draw a blank why not ask for help with phrasing your search questions, offer up the search questions you used and see if people can see why it's not delivering what you need. Someone might spot and obscure way of phrasing somethign that could give the results you need. If nothing else it shows you're trying whereas your current approach makes your arguement look  vacuous.

Another nice day today here so I really do not want to go googling. My gender balance thread got pulled because of bullying and abuse so I'm going to have to if Mar-Mohan pushes this further. I didn't keep the screen grab from where I was given the link, I didn't think it would be neccessary to have to.

I think my data is better based in 3dxChat than no data at all - in fact Pandora is basically 3dxChat data repackaged. Xeno's survey is 3dxChat users. I've said why I think the data I put together for the gender balance thread is valid, even though it doesn't support the gender balance question in Xeno's survey. There are suitable explanations for the discrepancy. So we learn something from this even if we don't agree with the raw results. as with the mosly using oen avi question - the similarity to Xeno's survey and the discrepancies are easily explained. That done, again we learn something.

Guest Beccie

The data I've suggested was relevant. The one that clinched that perticular discussion included 3dxChat by name, the old secondlife data was valid because it is a similar game in many ways, my analysis of  the other data was from games that reflected similar attriubutes to 3dxChat. So in that sense infinitely better than any data you have come up with.

Are you trying to say that people who mostly use one avi even though they may have others are in a minority? That is totally unsupported. The Pandora data is limited because it doesn't include people who mostly use one avi but have another they use occassionally. Similarly it doesn't include those people who mostly use one avi but have two others they use occassionally. As I recall it the analysis was just one, two or threes avis on each account. As a result it will always give a lower result than Xeno's question of using mostly one avi, which will of course give a slightly high result because of there being no definition of what he sees as mostly. So combine the two and it's safe to say that a majority of users use one avi, a majority being more than 50%. So thinking it through a bit we can say people who use mostly one avi constitute more than 50% of the user base but less that 75% - I think we'd find with more, and better data the result would tend toward around 60 or 65%. Now that seems quite reasonable to me, even if it isn't verified as yet.

In this particular case I think my analysis of this data is fair. If you think otherwise then find the data that is out there and present it. Support your case with your own data and analysis.

Hello all, not intending to get deeply into this discussion, but just wanted to make the following points (subject to when the mods approve this post).

Perimede, sry hon but your data argument is flawed. You can't presume people using one avi would be >50% and <75% and 'tending towards' 65%, that's just pure guesswork.

The ONLY reliable data for 3dx is what Pandora produces, and correct assumptions can be drawn from that as it represents live data, though I'm still suspicious about how it sources the information as I've explained in a previous post somewhere. Put simply, I don't believe the crawler explanation - but that's a different matter.

As for stats, comparison with other like games has its merits but is not foolproof. But it IS reasonable to assume, especially on the gender balance, that if other MMRPGs have a majority of males playing female characters, that's likely to be the case with 3dx, especially when you factor in the sex element.

Anecdotal evidence is actually likely to be pretty reliable though - my personal experience of 3dx was that 3 gf's I had in the game all turned out to be guys, and just about all of the female friends too, including one or two that I was 110% sure were girls. Most people would say their experience is the same. Common sense would also suggest that to be true.

Anyone on here criticising others for creating new forum accounts when they have done the same are being hypocritical.

Oh and Truth or whatever your name isn't - stop putting 'Truth' at the end of every message, it makes you look like a complete dick.

Over and out.

Are you also trying to say that there is no gender imbalance in game? That flies in the face of RobT's assertion that most women avis are played by men and we know you always agree with RobT. In any case the data we have on that shows that male users outweigh female by a factor of about five, maybe even more.

Maybe you're objecting to the idea that survey data suitably tested and anlysed is not a basis for making any sort of decision. Any survey, even professional ones, suffer from limitations. If you're going to use them then you need to be aware of these and do your best with what you have. Which is what I am trying to do here.

Any forum  poll is statistically invalid. It is what is known in the polling industry as a voodoo poll https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-access_poll

To be able to make any inferences from a poll that are valid you need 3 things

1) a sample size large enough to be statistically valid

2) random sampling to eliminate bias from those most interested

3) A sample weighted to the general population

In respect of the gender imbalance by the way...I don't think its as low as you make it out. I think 1  in 10 you quoted. I have quite a number of the friends I had here come over to spend time with me in SL. Most of them got on voice as the game is voice activated. Out of the 12 that made an account to keep in touch with me 9 got on voice all were female. shrugs its anecdotal it is true and it maybe I am just good at selecting avi's that are female irl

20 friends

12 came made an account = 60%

9 got on voice = 45%

9 were female = 45%

Could I be right in thinking that your poll of friends is invalid for your own reasons?

I did say it was anecdotal. 

shrugs its anecdotal it is true and it maybe I am just good at selecting avi's that are female irl 

maybe you missed that part of my post. 

now you did it sam, shes bringing out her imaginary friends

Oh dear, that is soooo clever. He forgets he was made to look a tit when he accused Desi of being me, then someone who could possibley have been his alt suggested I was TamsinUK, yes I did go looking to check. Who posted while I was flying to Poland sitting next to my husband.................... shit he knows and he's just doing it to be irritating. God if I remember rightly I even had to post a pdf of the BA regulations on teh use of mobile phones on their aircraft. He thinks he's being clever. He'll say I'm a bloke next, then a rampant feminist - whatever suits his pathetic little games. Report time, I think he's overstepped the mark several times today, possibley because he knows that unless Gizmo wants to work on a Sunday nothing will happen until Monday morning.

All because him and maybe one, possibley two others don't like what all this is telling us.

Oh dear, that is soooo clever. He forgets he was made to look a tit when he accused Desi of being me, then someone who could possibley have been his alt suggested I was TamsinUK, yes I did go looking to check. Who posted while I was flying to Poland sitting next to my husband.................... 

Your husband is a saint. Truth.

Ciera had her account deleted for reasons that are only known to her and those close to her, she was not banned; however she has returned as what she would define as an alt in Perimede only to repeat the behavior of baiting others into breaking the Terms of Service, making false claims of bullying against other members for disagreeing with her viewpoints, then filing reports to have them banned; which is also a violation of 3dx's EULA and grounds for a permanent ban. Truth.

Back to the topic. As I said in Ex’s thread. This is a simple survey, not a full market research data collection exercise. It is limited but it does tell us something

Why is it so hard for some people to see it as that. What’s so wrong with looking at what it suggests, trying to make sense of it - helped by other stuff from elsewhere, Balanced by personal observation and making up our own minds.

In that light it could be useful In getting a bit of thinking going and might promote suggestions.

These attacks, because some people don’t like what it is suggesting, are completely unnecessary and do nothing to encourage forum users to participate in anything but the fun games. But then that’s why the bullies do it. The attacks also do nothing to promote 3dx+hat. The attacks in Brett’s thread the same. His user base is big enough for his films to have an impact on the development of the game.

If he made a film about World Chat and these forums ............. i’m sure the trolls would love it if 3dxChat failed. They wouldn’t have people like me to try to bully. They’d have the joy of bullying themselves, all two or three, maybe four of them,

TheTruth is making threats now, which is against ToS - it is up to the moderators to dfecide if ToS have been contravened or not. It is up to them to decide what action to take on any reports. They don't always get it right but the fact they do act, and I hope they will soon, sends out a strong message. Up until a week or so ago we had relative calm on the forums since mid March, and I was participating just like I always do. I believe the forums have an important role to play in informing the devs of what we want from the game as well for them to feedback what they feel is important for us to know. All this trolling causes any message contained in the threads to be obscured and Gizmo when he reads it probably thinks 'why do I bother coding one of the best social interaction games around for my product to be treated like this?'.

It would seem that some people have forgotten the message the moderators sent out when they did their cull back then. In the meantime show Gimzo and the Mods, at least, some respect and do a little to make their working life more of a pleasure.

So what is the poll telling us now, insofar as it can - That the majority of users mostly use one avi, even though they may have others. Nothing startling about that. In fact it seems quite reasonable. I don't think it suggests that 3dxChat is becoming more of a social game or not, however.

Roughly a quarter have three avis, roughly a quarter have two, roughly a half have only one. Again nothing very startling and very rough and ready, but interesting nonetheless.

Despite all the debate the poll has kept those two points pretty clear.

I have made no threats, you shall also be reported for abusing the report system and instigating other members into violating the terms of service and the EULA of 3dx. Your false and repeated claims of bullying here are simply false and an embarrassment to these forums and you should be banned from 3dx forums permanently. Truth.

The bullies are out again, or it the bully?

As with many things here on 3dx forums gizmo will eventually see through false claims and false reports and act accordingly. It would seem having you culled back, as you put it, would truly be the action to restore peace to these forums, and this time gizmo will realize this and take the appropriate action. Truth.

Hmmmmm ..................... funny that. I don't treat people with disrespect, I don't make light of what they feel, I don't bully. I just stand up for myself - nothing wrong with that. Anyway it's not just me that's on the recieving end of your efforts. There's Twiggy, Jess, Chloe as well, Interesting that we are all women, don't you think.

The forums were just fine after the cull until certain people, who I won't name, started stirring things up. People see what goes on here, from that they'll make judgements about the kind of people who play the game. All these attacks, all this bullying is doing the game a grave disservice and is probably affecting the bottom line - and no I won't do another analysis. The people who recognise this have worked it out for themselves and the people who don't won't get it on principal.

Lastly you claim to be the truth, the truth is always what you want to see, whoever you are. So nobody can ever claim to be the truth - you can try, as most of us do, to be as truthful as possible. To claim the absolute right shows arrogance, not the most attractive feature in a man, or anybody for that matter, to my mind.

With regard to this little poll, all I'm trying to do is make sense of it and share what I think. People don't have to agree with me, they are welcome to share their own experience and understanding of the figures, both these and those gleaned from elsewhere. They may have their limitations but they do suggest something that might be useful at some time. That's why I find it unhelpful when people say the figures are wrong, they don't reflect anything etc. They do reflect something, always. The difficulty is discovering what that might be. Information is always useful so it's worth the effort, I think.

Information becomes particularly powerful when it connects up to other information derived from elsewhere, to my mind.

I found over 20 instances in the last week alone where you have violated the terms and conditions of these forums with insults, harassment, slander and baiting others to violate the EULA, as well as abusing the report system. You have been reported for each one of these instances to the forum administrators. Truth.

Oh dear, would you care to list them in a PM? That way I can review them and decide if I have or not and then work out what to expect.

It won't change because you'll attack other people like Twiggy, Chloe, Jess or anybody else who stands up to you. You have attacked Brett too, when all he is trying to do is put together something that could be good for 3dxChat. You are prejudging what he has in mind. Is that not bullying of a sort? A new cull is long overdue, if I get caught up in it, then so be it. If it gets rid of the people who are actually causing all the trouble then it's worth it.

As you say Gizmo will make the decisions he sees fit. He does make himself aware of what goes on here. He wants his product presented in the best possible light. I believe you and your cronies aren't doing this, in addition to what I see as your attitudes to women.

So your threats will be challenged every time you make them - the fact you make them will get noticed. If not by Gizmo and the mods then by the people reading the forums. They will make their own opinions of you as a person - anyway you're only a bit miffed because I rumbled you before you'd reached your five posts and I've got close enough to identifying you to make you uncomfortable. I can't prove anything but you have tripped yourself up on that, people have seen through you pretty quickly.

Now let's stop this bickering and get the thread back on track. Have you got anything to offer on it? What is your analysis of what the figures are telling us, is there any substance in what is a minor poll done for fun? Is it telling us anything?