3DXChat Community

Question on .world file size

Collier

Is there a threshold to keep world files under, in terms of size? I'm working on something that is currently 3.8mb, but I don't know how efficiently the engine renders objects, or if they are streamed, or users download a read-only copy upon entering? How does it work?

As Diana rightfully mentioned, there's more to it than the HD space, though it will and does play a part at some point.  On top of the reflective surfaces, and effects and lighting, the clumping of blocks will have a large affect on people with lesser machines and even decent machines. 

I have a few friends with not very powerful computers and couple with notebooks, so I always keep mine in check and by the time I'm around 3mb, its very close to the limit of acceptability, but I mostly do night settings so I do use a lot of lights.

If its a personal map for you and a partner, then it really doesnt matter as long as both of you can run it ok. If its going to be a public room, ask some randoms to check it out to see how it runs on their computers. Feedback from a wide range of users is the only way to know.

Interesting question. 

I will need to check my games place size. It's gotten rather big over the years with thousands and thousands or props, emitters, metals, water....everything that should have lagged it out long ago and still fine.

Edited by THX

• 3 weeks later...

I just remembered too finally check.

My X-Games place is nearly 3MB and still no issues with LOADS of things that should cause lag. Tremendous amount of small props like words. My guess is over 1500-2000 props.

Still growing.

Edit: Unity wasn't supposed to be good with large numbers of small props. It has turned out to be better than even profession developers could imagine.

Edited by THX

Since I am the proud owner of a piece of crap desktop, a room owner and builder friend had me check out a new room she is creating. Moving elements like disco lights and steam/water from her fountains caused very noticable lag.  The further from those elements I moved, the lag disaapeared.  It was rather interesting to help research. 

Oh, the pose areas still worked deliciously perfect, but I digress. 😉