3DXChat Community

Why must ppl lie?

xCHEYAX

There are a few types of users on the Internet and this is ostensibly true of every corner of the Internet.

1. The Troll: this type of user does what they want, how they want and when they want to get a rise/response/thrill out of being an absolute tool be it forum threads that pick fights or extract a riled up response that feeds them and their ego. The also tend to be fully willing to impersonate a user, lie, fake or otherwise tarnish your name or others experience. They do this as they generally get away with it.

2. The Escapist: These people use the Internet in whatever form to escape for brief periods into a "happy place" that gives them pause from their real life and allows them to be more expressive, less shy, make friends, or go into a bubble of sorts for a while. They are mostly harmless and actually are good people except when their activity takes on a troll like aspect. They can also be their real selves but you would not know unless told.

3. The Roleplayer: They are similar to an escapist but in a way different, as they use the Internet to escape BUT become totally different in that no aspect of who they are leaks into their online persona. A Male could be a Female and vise versa. They appear almost as if they are split personalities, totally different people, and they will always be "in character" portraying that which they are not. Also harmless and generally good unless they elevate this to trolling.

4. The Realist: This person quite simply does not troll, does not Roleplay and who they are in life is who they are online. They are either good, or bad or in between but can still be a troll.

5. The Hybrid: This user is a mix of any of the above and can be any mix, literally.

I feel quite simply that we have every one of these personalities within 3DX and it is something we have to deal with and adjust to. No world, no community, is perfect and you will ALWAYS get assholes that thrive on causing pain, suffering and trouble just because they get a thrill out of it to brighten what is likely a sad and lonely existence or they get off on it because they are actually cowards but very brave when behind a keyboard.

Opening it up publicly is an intrinsic part of what they want. They feed off the limelight and the fact they are getting to you. They love to know they are causing issues and problems, sitting in their dingy little basements. I say the words I do to challenge you trouble makers to actually grow a pair and out yourselves and prove me wrong, but you won't because you are just that, cowardly.

Regardless, I think there are far fewer liars than is made out here, but there are still a lot of them. However public outcry won't solve anything. Screenshot, Report, Ignore and move on. That likely will not be resolved (the success rate is staggeringly shit and the system overall is ineffectual at best) but it's your current best recourse.

The Internet is a wild place filled with a wide variety of users. Unfortunately you have to get used to it when going online.

Just my 54cents

If anyone can convincingly be me then they need help lol

The ability to copy names like this does suck but as peeps have said it's not gonna fool anyone who knows you or talks to you in game. However...because it could be used simply to cause trouble with screenshots etc...should people have a mind to do so...(and it still horrifies me that people actually do come here just to cause trouble and heartache for others....ffs get a more constructive hobby ok) I think it needs to be prevented. Personally I just use my alts to protect the permutations...best use of an alt I can think of :P

The new fonts used in the new GUI should help people to see the variations used in copied names. Simple solution would be for the devs to implement the same font for above our heads and when talking in local/world. for example.. so it will be easy to spot people using capital i's instead of l's as in your name Doll. Simples :)

Guest Larrygair

There are a few types of users on the Internet and this is ostensibly true of every corner of the Internet.

1. The Troll: this type of user does what they want, how they want and when they want to get a rise/response/thrill out of being an absolute tool be it forum threads that pick fights or extract a riled up response that feeds them and their ego. The also tend to be fully willing to impersonate a user, lie, fake or otherwise tarnish your name or others experience. They do this as they generally get away with it.

2. The Escapist: These people use the Internet in whatever form to escape for brief periods into a "happy place" that gives them pause from their real life and allows them to be more expressive, less shy, make friends, or go into a bubble of sorts for a while. They are mostly harmless and actually are good people except when their activity takes on a troll like aspect. They can also be their real selves but you would not know unless told.

3. The Roleplayer: They are similar to an escapist but in a way different, as they use the Internet to escape BUT become totally different in that no aspect of who they are leaks into their online persona. A Male could be a Female and vise versa. They appear almost as if they are split personalities, totally different people, and they will always be "in character" portraying that which they are not. Also harmless and generally good unless they elevate this to trolling.

4. The Realist: This person quite simply does not troll, does not Roleplay and who they are in life is who they are online. They are either good, or bad or in between but can still be a troll.

5. The Hybrid: This user is a mix of any of the above and can be any mix, literally.

I feel quite simply that we have every one of these personalities within 3DX and it is something we have to deal with and adjust to. No world, no community, is perfect and you will ALWAYS get assholes that thrive on causing pain, suffering and trouble just because they get a thrill out of it to brighten what is likely a sad and lonely existence or they get off on it because they are actually cowards but very brave when behind a keyboard.

Opening it up publicly is an intrinsic part of what they want. They feed off the limelight and the fact they are getting to you. They love to know they are causing issues and problems, sitting in their dingy little basements. I say the words I do to challenge you trouble makers to actually grow a pair and out yourselves and prove me wrong, but you won't because you are just that, cowardly.

Regardless, I think there are far fewer liars than is made out here, but there are still a lot of them. However public outcry won't solve anything. Screenshot, Report, Ignore and move on. That likely will not be resolved (the success rate is staggeringly shit and the system overall is ineffectual at best) but it's your current best recourse.

The Internet is a wild place filled with a wide variety of users. Unfortunately you have to get used to it when going online.

Just my 54cents

Nicely put.

Perhaps not a comprehensive list, but as you say most are a blend.

It's really too bad that a few losers have to taint everyone's experience but that is the way it is in real life as well and not just on the 'net. It's just easier to hide as you stated.

L.

Hi CHEYA,

This is something that I think has been always happening in here but in the last week or so has increased somewhat. I think it may be 1 or just a few people have decided this is a way for them to have fun.

I was one of the people that was approached by Erickaspencer, which was Eirikaspencers imposter. It didn't take me long to figure out she was an imposter and was also helped by another person to see that.

Even though this person was unable to cause me any harm she did put a damper on my fun for a while and left me feeling a little angry that it had happened.

There is one thing I have thought of that can be done when this type of thing happens and I completely for got to do so, but I will mention it here so others may be able to use it.

When you see an imposter doing this type of thing whether they have approached you or not, put that imposter on ignore.

This can make it so you can see who may be behind it as the other avis they have will also be ignored and if you do this right you will be able to find out who is behind it.

Now I hope people take note of this and say they will do it as if these imposters may realize there is a good chance they can be caught and may think twice before doing it again.

Thank you CHEYA for doing this post as I for one feel it was needed, it is a shame that some people seem to want to flame almost every poster in here lately.

Hi CHEYA,

This is something that has been happening in here always but in the last week or has increased somewhat. I think it may be 1 or just a few people have decided this is a way for them to have fun.

I was one of the people that was approached by Erickaspencer, which was Eirikaspencers imposter. It didn't take me long to figure out she was an imposter and was also helped by another person to see that.

Even though this person was unable to cause me any harm she put a damper on my fun for a while and left me feeling a little angry that it had happened.

There is 1 thing I have thought of that can be done when this type of thing happens and I completely for got to do so, but I will mention it here so others may be able to use it.

When you see an imposter doing this type of thing whether they have approached you or not, put that imposter on ignore.

This can make it so you can see who may be behind it as the other avis they have will also be ignored and you do this right you will be able to find out who is behind it.

Now I hope people take note of this and say they will do it as if these imposters realize there is a good chance they may be caught and may think twice before doing it again.

Thank you CHEYA for doing this post as I for one feel it was needed, it is a shame that some people seem to want to flame almost every poster in here lately.

Good idea about the ignore on the imposter, Twiggy. *thumb up* :)

The Key is to have Fun, we all know what we came here for, I say Just be Honest, with whatever it might be, everyone wants something different so find someone that wants what you do, there are so many people here for so many reason to list here,,All I'm saying is be real, have fun, and lets Not hurt one Another.

Guest Larrygair

Hi CHEYA,

This is something that I think has been always happening in here but in the last week or so has increased somewhat. I think it may be 1 or just a few people have decided this is a way for them to have fun.

Even though this person was unable to cause me any harm she did put a damper on my fun for a while and left me feeling a little angry that it had happened.

There is one thing I have thought of that can be done when this type of thing happens and I completely for got to do so, but I will mention it here so others may be able to use it.

This can make it so you can see who may be behind it as the other avis they have will also be ignored and if you do this right you will be able to find out who is behind it.

Now I hope people take note of this and say they will do it as if these imposters may realize there is a good chance they can be caught and may think twice before doing it again.

Great idea. I am now a 1st level ignore warrior!

HUA!

L.

A lot of actions they do will let you see them when you have them on iggy.

I am not going to reveal what these actions are but you do see the people you have put on iggy often unless they are very careful.

Also if you suspect someone you can have a friend keep an eye out for that person and if they say they are there and you don't see them, well.

Just a thought coming to my mind: little "lies" are also the glue of our society.

Imagine you'd be brutally honest all the time - you'd quickly lose friends, job whatsoever just by hurting the opposite just unnecessarily

Based on this I am convinced - as long as the intention isn't a false one - little "lies" have to be OK.

Still trying to fake/copy others chars doesn't fall in this category for me... 

Just a thought coming to my mind: little "lies" are also the glue of our society.

This is a good point.

In Japan, where I live, it is considered polite to always pretend that the other person is superior to yourself and that you are inferior to all others. But in the US, where I am from, it is considered polite for us all to pretend that we are equal. In either case, it isn't a matter of what is true or what is real. It's just a social convention to help us communicate smoothly with people we don't know well. In some countries, if you speak with authority on a subject, people will think you are arrogant. But in other countries, if you explain too much, people will think you are treating them like a child. These differences in social convention can be difficult to navigate, even in countries where the language is the same, which is why it is often said that America and England are two countries separated by a common language. :D

So, why is it that no one ever whines (in these forums, anyway) about people lying about their age, their location, whether they are married or single, their occupation, the kind of car they drive, or what their favorite food is?   :P  I think the answer is obvious. We all "lie" about these things, either to make ourselves appear more attractive or simply to protect our privacy. And complaining about such lies is a good way to prove that maybe you really aren't mature enough to be playing an adult game.  

So, in my opinion, the real question is not "why must people lie." The real question is, since we already know that everyone lies, "why do some people believe without question almost everything they are told?"

Guest Larrygair

The only thing I regularly "lie" about is my real name and exact birthday for obvious reasons. Even my appearance is as close as I can come to true to life. True, I do sometimes play an alt, but that is stated up front.

I guess that makes me an outlier.

In this case, I'm happy to be one.

L.

Ton’s of reasons tbh.

Lies are like people: sometimes hurtful, sometimes entertaining, sometimes harmless… in short, complicated. A lie isn’t inherently a bad thing, some people make their careers out of lies and not always the bad kind of lie, acting is after all a form of lying… if you think to much into it… a film is nothing but a glorified and a (mostly) well crafted lie.

Now, why people impersonate others in internet?

Well, it’s the internet, anonymity and the prospect of always getting away with things makes people feel like they can do what they want. I like to say that it’ll bring either your inner angel or inner jerk. But from experience -unless the impersonator is a really good one -they’ll never be accurate about the impersonatee, written speech is like vocal speech, it has cues unique to each person.. if you are not so good at reading one thing I recommend is making a catchphrase and sharing it with your close friends so they’ll know you from the troll.

So, why is it that no one ever whines (in these forums, anyway) about people lying about their age, their location, whether they are married or single, their occupation, the kind of car they drive, or what their favorite food is?   :P  I think the answer is obvious. We all "lie" about these things, either to make ourselves appear more attractive or simply to protect our privacy. And complaining about such lies is a good way to prove that maybe you really aren't mature enough to be playing an adult game. 

You may not read it the forums often but you do often hear people complaining about being mislead by age or marital status in the game itself. A guy for instance letting a 24 year old girl believe he was 29 when he was actually 49 or something like that. Or another where a guy had said he was single and kept it going with more lies about his life to keep her convinced of that. In both these cases the people involved had committed themselves to an in game relationship and were meant to be being honest with each other. These people lied and continued to lie to get the other to give them what they wanted and knew if they told the truth they would not get that. Now I know that many in here think it's like a buyer beware thing where if they get fooled it's their own fault, me I think the hurt and trouble it causes is the fault of the deceiver.

As for not being mature enough if we complain about things like this, well lets see, a child will lie and manipulate to get what they want, an adult tries to reason and adjust and has learned to respect the rights of others.

But hey maybe you are right, maybe I should teach my little girl to lie, manipulate and deceive so she can be ready for the modern adult world.

And just a thought, i wonder what the world would be like or even this game, if no one complained about the wrongs that people do.

As for not being mature enough if we complain about things like this, well lets see, a child will lie and manipulate to get what they want, an adult tries to reason and adjust and has learned to respect the rights of others.

But hey maybe you are right, maybe I should teach my little girl to lie, manipulate and deceive so she can be ready for the modern adult world.

And just a thought, i wonder what the world would be like or even this game, if no one complained about the wrongs that people do.

Oh, baloney. That's a total distortion of what I actually said. Teach your child to take responsibility for her own actions. And one way of doing that is not to believe everything she is told.

I love all of you  Thank you  for the lovely comments on this topic.   I put  this on Forum to warn people that this actually happens.  I have read everyone's comments and the only thing that sticks out is that we must be aware at all times.  Keep yourself's safe  an have fun.  Enjoy 3DX .

Kisses :) 

Cheya 

Welcome to the rather bad site of the coin then. HAppens all over the net, the only thing you can do is beeing carefull, kinda the same as safer sex. Might kill the pleasure a tad but better to be on the safe side and live on happy.

Alwaays only takes 1 to kill the fun for many. Sadly always been always will.