3DXChat Community

Colorful Screens & Spike GPU Load

Nikki

Once I was getting random colored screens and the machine came to stand still. No message no error no nothing. Just plain color or cyan, red, green or yellow whatever time of day. Also cant be recreated. Sometimes happens 10 minutes after in 3dx sometimes many hours later.

That was on my previous machine and it was kinda old and stuff. So I replaced it with a newer system (no old components used) and after a year of no crashing here we go again so I am posting this in case someone has a similar issue. First of all the GPU load is very odd.

Monitor Metrics: http://prntscr.com/rkvr66

Any other game I play sits at 100% most of the time and I think thats what is causing the crashes. The GPU is hiccuping with 3dxchat and the fans dont know how to spool properly (goes up and down). I ve tweaked several settings including a full re-install of drivers and all set to default. Nothing helps.

Any other game runs fine on Ultra Settings and the GPU is smirking at the loads. Just gets pummled in 3dx a very odd way. Both systems I had are having the same issues now with different hardware

System Spec: http://prntscr.com/rkvsyp

Windows 10 Professional 64bit 
24GB of RAM

Edited by Nikki

I'm not sure if this is only me also, but I been noticing my RTX 2060 fans going on and off at times when I have the game on maxed graphic settings, it keeps doing that for quite some minutes everytime I pump the graphics to max. and I been noticing that only with 3DX. The spike of GPU load could be also what makes my GPU fans go on and off for the client.

17 hours ago, Nikki said:

Once I was getting random colored screens and the machine came to stand still. No message no error no nothing. Just plain color or cyan, red, green or yellow whatever time of day.

If you're still getting those it's either software related (driver, windows) issue or dying GPU. You should for start monitor temperatures when GPU is under load, for Nvidia absolute maximum is 100*C when card starts to degrade, with AMD it's most likely even lower cap because they're using way cheaper materials.

Few % GPU hiccups are something normal and in 3DX 0% moments are most likely caused by loading screens when GPU is barely used. It could be indeed issue of 3DX still. I'd suggest to go into Catalyst Control Center or however it is called now and add 3DXChat.exe to the 3D applications settings then set power plan for High/Maximum performance. That should force GPU to work at more stable load until you close the game.

Additionally if you have semi-passive cooling system (fans spinning from certain temperature level) I'd monitor what maximum temperature you're getting when 3DX is working (f.ex. with HWMonitor software working in background) and if fans are actually starting to spin at that point. It is possible that you're reaching safety temperature limit and card is automatically underclocked to avoid being burnt. That may also cause 0% usage for a few seconds along with graphical glitches.

51 minutes ago, MeiLing said:

Not a Unity problem and topic you linked is completely irrelevant

1) because 3DX is powered at the moment by Unity 2018, meanwhile it's safe to assume that linked topic is related to Unity 2019 and through the year that 'problem' would be long time reported and fixed by devs;

2) 100% GPU usage is perfectly normal (and safe for GPU in general) in case of 3D software, especially complex enough like 3DX.

If GPU is more powerful than needed for 3DXChat it will be still used at 100% cap unless you manually limit framerate to the screen refresh rate so it will stop rendering unnecessary frames. Only then it may start to act 'lazy'.

Beside... I believe I understood correctly that potential issue here might be sudden hiccup from 100% to 0% of usage. Topic you linked describes 100% of GPU usage issue with apparently lightweight software which shouldn't force card to work at the highest clocks, especially with framerate cap setted up and that's making it irrelevant to the case.

1 hour ago, StellaXOXO said:

If you're still getting those it's either software related (driver, windows) issue or dying GPU. You should for start monitor temperatures when GPU is under load, for Nvidia absolute maximum is 100*C when card starts to degrade, with AMD it's most likely even lower cap because they're using way cheaper materials.

Few % GPU hiccups are something normal and in 3DX 0% moments are most likely caused by loading screens when GPU is barely used. It could be indeed issue of 3DX still. I'd suggest to go into Catalyst Control Center or however it is called now and add 3DXChat.exe to the 3D applications settings then set power plan for High/Maximum performance. That should force GPU to work at more stable load until you close the game.

Additionally if you have semi-passive cooling system (fans spinning from certain temperature level) I'd monitor what maximum temperature you're getting when 3DX is working (f.ex. with HWMonitor software working in background) and if fans are actually starting to spin at that point. It is possible that you're reaching safety temperature limit and card is automatically underclocked to avoid being burnt. That may also cause 0% usage for a few seconds along with graphical glitches.

Several other firneds playing 3dx dont have thoose hiccups. GPU is surely not dying. Does fine in other games rarely goes over 75°C top. I ve even adjusted the fans to run more smooth (aka spool up on lower temps already) the GPU was even dropping to 60°C alltime. Still crashes. While everything else just works fine.

I could even try to play two games on two monitors ( whyever someone would do that) and the GPU smirked at me still. No crashes.

Updated every possible driver on this machine. I begin to think its a CPU problem maybe with this family as my previous CPU was of the same family. 

Okay so what exactly is an issue here beside those hiccups? Are you still getting colored screen glitches or it is just game crash? If it's just a crash then are you getting any kind of errors following it? If so and those color glitches are happening with 3DXChat only... try to turn on framerate limit if it's off and turn off all reflections related settings in-game. Reflections are ugly and generally broken since one of the last updates. Although your issue seems to be rare and new, they might be responsible for it. Other than that... have you updated your GPU drivers like a day or few before the issue even started? Because it could be also AMD fault. They're very well known from frequent broken drivers releases.

Edited by StellaXOXO
More text

I ve updated all drivers after it started. The issue is the PC going into blank color illuminated screens no errors no nothing. Just hungs up. Fans blowing still like PC running but everything else is freeze.

After reset the PC doesent even recognize it has been hungup or shutdown by reset. Boot normal. 

33 minutes ago, Nikki said:

Fans blowing still like PC running but everything else is freeze.

That's usual outcome of faulty overclock of CPU or generally faulty CPU but since you've issue only with 3DXChat I guess we can safely say it's not the case.

Try all mentioned suggestions first and see what outcome you'll get. It's possible that recent update just simply broke something and issue may happen at certain hardware.