3DXChat Community

Roomlist going nuts?

Xanar

Yesterday I noticed, that the roomlist was rather empty. Me, Darkangel and a few others had our rooms open and all of a sudden, they disappeared.

Closing and reopening the room didn't help.

It's not the first time, the roomlist is empty. Usually I get that shortly before I DC but in that case I was able to write in local, see profiles.

I hope it wasn't just me.

you do realize if they truly wanted to reset all the rooms and make that dll rubbish they could very easily

You're right, of course... they could. Then after that they would need to hire more staff to design the 2-3 new public venues needed to stop people who make their rooms into extra venues and those who enjoy going to them, from leaving and not re-subbing. It wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me, but it would for many, I suspect.

I'm kinda torn over the room modding issue, as some rooms I've been to, have been made into clubs bigger than Fresco and I think some take it too far. I'm not sure what strain it puts on the server but it must have some effect and people need to be sensible. But a few extra interesting places to go does no-one any harm and actually might be profitable for those who own 3DX.

And I guess they don't want to get stuck in the hack cycle, where they close the loophole and some very clever players find a way to circumnavigate, ad nauseam. People always find a way in the end.

i like the hacks, dont get me wrong but some think they are irreversible and they are not. in all honesty if they truly wanted to they could find the hack makers and just threaten to ban them. as i said ive used it before, i wont lie  and i like them. just explaining the dlls arent as fullproof as some think they are

Agreed. (fuck, I'm agreeing with you. That might cost you top spot on the annoying list)

Interestingly, the rooms exist on the server but the .dll resides on each of our PCs, so it's tricky to know the legal reach of 3DX when it comes to what someone does with files on their computer. I guess there's a clause somewhere that covers it.

But yeah, the hacks are not irreversible.

/me walks away trying to think of something to argue with Rob about....

The server doesn't really store a lot of user data - just the .xml files with serialized(-ish) character settings, rooms layouts and stuff like that, so the only room-induced server load here could be from bigger file sizes to download, which shouldn't really be a problem for any server - it's not like people keep coming in in hundreds per second ;)

All of the actual objects and scripting are client-sided. So are all the lags ;)

The messaging server on the other hand must be pretty loaded (all of the communication between clients is based on text message exchange, even stuff like walking or poses, you just don't see those messages in the chat window ;)