3DXChat Community

Install on Windows 11

Vida

How do I install this for Windows 11? Unlike Windows 10, there is no actual install. Windows 11 does not recognize the software as an application and there is no uninstall application in the 3DXChat folder (there is in Windows 10). I get an endless load screen on Windows 11. Have fallowed all the clean install advice and opened Windows Firewall for 3DXChat.exe and 3DXChatLauncher.exe. Set both to run as administrator. I am at a loss as to why 3DXChat refuses to load. 3DXChat runs fine on my Windows 10 laptop, so it's not the reset avatar issue.

Update: Fixed. OneDrive was restoring an old save folder. Disabled OneDrive and deleted the settings folder so 3DXChat could create a new one. 😀

Edited by Vida

The installer does not install the app as windows actually does normally, it has nothing to do with the version of windows you use.

The installer is actually a self-extracting file that unpacks in whatever directory it is located at.

This type of install is what is known as "Portable Install". It relies on its own files to run, a good example of this is a Blender zip file, it can be run in any directory and uses its own resources to work.

It also creates a directory, Documents/3DXChat/, if it is not there already, this is where your avatar and screenshots and some game files it needs are stored.

The game is run from the directory it was extracted to, that is why there is no application in your start menu, and no uninstall in control panel.

To uninstall the game just delete the directory it resides in. To completely remove it from your system you also have to delete the directory in Documents and all the registry entries as well.

To make shortcut for your desktop or taskbar, go to the directory i.e... Downloads/3dxchat/game, in here you will find the actual executable the game uses. R Click the executable and choose-Send to Desktop (create shortcut).

There is another 3dxchat.exe in the main directory also, why there is does not make sense to me, so make sure you use the executable in the Game directory not in the main directory.

To add a shortcut to the game on your taskbar simply open the game and right click the icon in your taskbar and choose "Pin to Taskbar" option, in Windows 11 I believe you can also pin it to the start menu as well.

Also, download to a folder that has write permissions as well, or you will not be able to extract it, this is not a problem for windows 10, only windows 11 as it has new and added security features enabled. And your AV software may mark it as being infected, if you DL from the members area I can assure it is completely safe.

I did some research when it happened to me, and it is caused by a file with the same name as a generic virus, but it is not infected, it is a false positive.

Hope this shed some light on this. :D

17 minutes ago, SerenityWillow said:

The installer does not install the app as windows actually does normally, it has nothing to do with the version of windows you use.

The installer is actually a self-extracting file that unpacks in whatever directory it is located at.

This type of install is what is known as "Portable Install". It relies on its own files to run, a good example of this is a Blender zip file, it can be run in any directory and uses its own resources to work.

It also creates a directory, Documents/3DXChat/, if it is not there already, this is where your avatar and screenshots and some game files it needs are stored.

The game is run from the directory it was extracted to, that is why there is no application in your start menu, and no uninstall in control panel.

To uninstall the game just delete the directory it resides in. To completely remove it from your system you also have to delete the directory in Documents and all the registry entries as well.

To make shortcut for your desktop or taskbar, go to the directory i.e... Downloads/3dxchat/game, in here you will find the actual executable the game uses. R Click the executable and choose-Send to Desktop (create shortcut).

There is another 3dxchat.exe in the main directory also, why there is does not make sense to me, so make sure you use the executable in the Game directory not in the main directory.

To add a shortcut to the game on your taskbar simply open the game and right click the icon in your taskbar and choose "Pin to Taskbar" option, in Windows 11 I believe you can also pin it to the start menu as well.

Also, download to a folder that has write permissions as well, or you will not be able to extract it, this is not a problem for windows 10, only windows 11 as it has new and added security features enabled. And your AV software may mark it as being infected, if you DL from the members area I can assure it is completely safe.

I did some research when it happened to me, and it is caused by a file with the same name as a generic virus, but it is not infected, it is a false positive.

Hope this shed some light on this. :D

Maybe this information is a candidate for @MissD's Troubleshooting FAQs 😉

3 hours ago, AbigailMare said:

How do i turn off my OneDrive? I don't have it even set up. I've never opened it. I have been trying to get the game to work for the past 4 hours now. 

If it is running there will be an icon in your system tray that looks like a cloud, if you don't see this icon in your system tray, the area by your clock, click the chevron to see all the apps running in your system tray, then it is not running, if it is and maybe a white color, open it and change the option to not load at windows. Another way to stop it from running is by way of the startup apps in windows, you can also access this in the task manager on the start tab, right click the app and choose disable.

Another way to see if it is running is using the task manager and see if it is in the list. To open task manager, right click the start button and it will be in a list of apps. Or you can press "ctrl+alt+del" and choose it from there as well.