3DXChat Community

Geodome...trying to build but failed

Byrkoff

As title saying, im trying to build geodome...generally supposed to be from triangles, but there are also options with penta and hexagons. On net there are some geodome calculators and they are worked great...but not in 3DX. What i meant is when i start from bottom...and orienting triangles so they supposed to touch eachone from nexts and so on...but when i write calculated angle...it wrongly aligned. Did i missed something?

im working on this for 4 days and its just a joke...and it making me mad 😁😁😁.

sooo...is here some builder/magician who can make this? I have no problems with builder name on it to promote...actually i support this kind of adv.

and here is geodome 🙂

any answer is highly appreciated 

IMG_3324.webp

This is very hard to do, I have tried to do this as well. Even though the shapes look symmetrical, they are not mathematically, so they do not fi exactly and that is required to achieve this.

The closest I was able to come looked kind of shabby but may work for what you want.

First, I loaded a sphere for a pattern if you will, to go by, I imagine a half sphere would work also, but I wouldn't trust it myself.

Then I made the bottom rows of triangles, then copied and resized it down, also I made a ring for between each row big enough to hide where the triangles meet.

Once I got to the last row I went and tweaked the angle of all the triangles because even though you copy the previous row and shrink it, the angle of how much the triangles tilt.

It was very time consuming and ended up just deleting it because it looked to wonky, it took me about 4 hours.

9 hours ago, Torax said:

I did some dome long time ago, it is not a mathematical one, I did a bit like Serenety.

https://www.3dxchatsharing.com/product/dome-by-torax/

WOW....this is exactly what i was looking. Thank you very much.

PS: can you give me a tip, how to make it smaller and not "dezintegrate" all...as i like to have max dia of 15m.

Edited by Byrkoff

20 hours ago, SerenityWillow said:

This is very hard to do, I have tried to do this as well. Even though the shapes look symmetrical, they are not mathematically, so they do not fi exactly and that is required to achieve this.

The closest I was able to come looked kind of shabby but may work for what you want.

First, I loaded a sphere for a pattern if you will, to go by, I imagine a half sphere would work also, but I wouldn't trust it myself.

Then I made the bottom rows of triangles, then copied and resized it down, also I made a ring for between each row big enough to hide where the triangles meet.

Once I got to the last row I went and tweaked the angle of all the triangles because even though you copy the previous row and shrink it, the angle of how much the triangles tilt.

It was very time consuming and ended up just deleting it because it looked to wonky, it took me about 4 hours.

Yes...i started doing the same way as you and guess what...ended up also as all was as you described.

No...shapes are not same but on net exists calculators which calculate how many triangles needed and what shape.

anyway...I'm amazed how Torax did it.

11 hours ago, Torax said:

I did some dome long time ago, it is not a mathematical one, I did a bit like Serenety.

https://www.3dxchatsharing.com/product/dome-by-torax/

Yes, I forgot to mention your version Torax. His is the closest most accurate one I have come across, if I were you Byrkoff I would use Torax's version, I believe he has it for sharing on his site 3dxchatsharing.com. And you can resize it to your needs. One thing you may try that I haven't yet got around to is use the transform gizmo and size an object mathematically and copy it to complete the ring and then copy and resize each one to fit as you go up.

5 hours ago, Byrkoff said:

WOW....this is exactly what i was looking. Thank you very much.

PS: can you give me a tip, how to make it smaller and not "dezintegrate" all...as i like to have max dia of 15m.

To resize it make sure you switch from pivot to center on you pivot point settings and select the stretch gizmo, and while holding L shift there will be a square in the center. click and hold then drag on the square and it will resize all the objects all at once.

Here are the Keyboard shortcuts:

W= Move Gizmo.

E= Rotate Gizmo / Hold L CTRL for snap.

R= Stretch Gizmo / Hold and drag the center square to stretch a whole group or single object making sure pivot is set to Center.

U= Face edit / Hold L Shift to stretch opposite faces.

F= Zoom to selected object.

Controls.png

Edited by SerenityWillow
I love 3DXChat!

• 1 month later...

I built a jig (with a center exactly at world x,z of 0,0) to follow as I built each layer. Found it much easier to position the panels if they were a solid and changed them to glass later. A lot of rotating and copying and many many hours later I had a dome. Basically each layer I had to manually position 2 panels, one pointing up and one down, mirror them to the far side, then copying and rotating them to finish off that layer. Added the frames later too which hides the little imperfections between panels. 

2021-11-08 20-21-40_505935.png

2021-11-08 20-22-41_509215.png

2023-08-26 00-47-29_3659.png

Edited by 3DxDavesNotHome