3DXChat Community

Fonts and spoofed player names

Sage Stoner

I am raising this issue because I am seeing more and more duplicate character names and I think everyone needs to understand the potential for abuse, which is already happening.

I would like to ask the Devs to apply a new font to the client program, and I strongly recommend that it be a serif font (Times New Roman, etc.), not a non-serif one (Arial, etc.).

At the moment, there are several players who are spoofing character names, and even though there is no ill intent by some, as more and more people learn about this, the door for abuse opens wider.  

I think it is time that the Devs address this issue by applying a serif font to the client program, which I believe would solve this particular issue once and for all. (I would be happy to be corrected if I am wrong about this point.)

post-309-0-95455700-1412317554_thumb.jpg

This opens the door for a lot of abuse, trolling and quite possibly malicious intent. It can be used quite literally to defame a persons reputation and standing and alienate them from their friends and cause harm if used in the wrong way.

I second this and better checks need to be put in place for name checking through a different typeface like Sage mentioned, or a different backend database on something far more robust and secure such as SQL or Oracle.

This may seem harmless fun now and I am waiting for the "do not worry" or "dafuq you on about noob" replies but you will only brush this off until it happens to you...

I agree Sage. Either better checks ir a different embedded font, or better databases.

Viva!!

I agree there's Riela with "i" instead of "l" for months and it's kinda gets annoying I saw her few times but never for long enough.

It can lead to lots of potential abuse but also funny moments as well. Still it would be nice if we can fix it.

Yeah I know just wanted everyone to know we aren't using it to harm anything.

No worries. It is obvious from the screen shot that you guys were just a group of friends having fun. 

But I also know someone who used that same trick to spoof the name of another friend of mine. It only took a minute of conversation with the FalseFriend to realize that it was not my TrueFriend. 

So the potential for abuse is great, which is why I think this needs to be prevented.