3DXChat Community

jbond

Hi to all Mac players,

glad to see, I'm not the only one who's playing the game on a Mac. :) Here comes my solution (at least it works for me):

3DX is nearly perfect playable with Bootcamp on Windows 10 64bit. No issues with camera, flickering or anything else. What I had to do was updating the driver for my Nvidia gfx board after a fresh install of bootcamp. I have to say, my iMac is not the newest one (2012) and the gfx card is outdated too (GeForce GT 640M 512MB). But it doesn't matter, its playable in high graphics settings, at least when there are not too much people in a room. If so, I just switch some gfx settings back to lower.

• I upgraded my Mac to OS Catalina, including all updates
  • followed all steps of the bootcamp installation assistant step by step
  • installed a new Windows 10 64 (you can download it from the ms website)
  • bought a cheap win license on eBay
  • downloaded and installed the latest Nvidia drivers for win
  • installed the latest 64 bit version of the game, including latest patch (400)
  • and that's it

Also, for those of you experimenting with VMware Fusion ./. 3DX, here comes my hints:

You can install it without any issues and it will work, but keep in mind, that's an emulator and in most cases - at least on older Macs - its only playable on lowest graphics settings and in windowed mode. I had same probs with camera rotating first. It doesn't work. Solution, that worked for me: Start the virtual machine in windowed mode (do a real system start, not a pause / resume), switch to fullscreen mode and start the game itself in windowed mode. The "unity" mode doesn't work. Thats why I guess it's the same prob with the "Coherence" mode of parallels.

For me, now I got the best usable solution for older Macs, as I can use the world editor on Fusion while running my MacOS / other apps and if I like to play, I will reboot the machine with bootcamp.

Edited by BaZZ-T

• 2 years later...

Guys, this is the solution to flashing textures in Parallels!

SO HAPPY I FOUND IT

Go to the virtual machine configuration and click "Hardware > Boot Order > Advanced Settings > Boot flags".
Paste the following text in the "Boot flags" field:
video.untrimmed_dynamic_cbuffers=1

And that's it! 

Edited by DylanLND

• 1 year later...

I am running 3dxChat on an 2019 Intel Imac. I'm using bootcamp and a free windows 10 I downloaded from Microsoft.  For the most part the game is working fine with the exception of zoom and pan problems associated with my Magic Mouse. Sometimes I have go back to the same location becaiuse I can't figure out where I am!

I'm going to get a mouse designed for working in 3d sims like 3dx. Any recommendations?  I also think I need to reassign my function keys but I'm not sure what capabilities I'm missing.  I think I can reassign the keys but not quite sure which functions I need or want by reassignment. 

I also have a MacBook Pro with an Apple M1 processor. I'd love to be able to use but I can't seem to find any good solutions to that challenge. 

Hey Rolfio,
cool to hear from you being a fellow Mac user. Yes, the keyboard layout is a real drag when playing 3DX. But for me it is working fine more or less for quite a while now.
I am on a 2017 iMac Pro (Intel) with 3DX installed on a Windows 10 partition. My 2015 MacBook Pro is running WIN 8 and is working pretty fine too.
I formatted the WIN partitions without using BootCamp but was able to set the right sizes for all the partitions that way (with having lots of hustle installing all the BootCamp drivers manually). The problem is that your macOS version and it's drivers corelate with your WIN drivers (foremost audio, keyboard and mouse drivers cause the biggest problems), so it's crucial to find the right BootCamp driver package for your macOS and WIN version.
There is a driver package called Trackpad++ that brought full mouse functionality (the free version needs a reinstall every week), even with the right mouse button which is needed so badly for moving the cam and avatar around tin the rooms. The cheapest and easiest possibility might really be to buy a cheap PC mouse with hardware buttons instead of the complicated magic mouse with so many gestures?
Further more you'll need to fiddle around with keyboard settings in BootCamp and Windows also.
I tweaked the "gaming" preset a lot and got all I need for the game working for me finally.
I don't own a M1 Mac myself but can imagine that it must run much smoother with all the graphic load on the system. I have been on macOS Mojave for ages but finally upgraded to Monterey recently. And now the screen resolutions and text/UI sizes need a lot of re-setting again.
Lots of trial and error all in all...that's the bad news:(

I wish you good luck!!