3DXChat Community

Meta Quest 2 VR MODE

jardon

Hello,

I just recently got a Meta Quest 2.  I am connected using AirLink and can launch 3dxchat through it.  The problem is there is no option to launch VR mode.  How exactly do I do it?

I've seen posts mentioning a big purple button before logging it but this doesn't show for me.  What am I doing wrong?

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Ranu said:

Thanks for the explanation. I got the Quest3 and tried it via VirtualDesktop and SteamVR, but didn't make it work.

Now I just know that I don't have to try anymore and have just to wait.

Thank you!

Just remember, when it is enabled that VR does not work in 3DXChat using Virtual Desktop Screener, has to connect through the oculus app.

On 9/28/2023 at 9:29 PM, jardon said:

Hello,

I just recently got a Meta Quest 2.  I am connected using AirLink and can launch 3dxchat through it.  The problem is there is no option to launch VR mode.  How exactly do I do it?

I've seen posts mentioning a big purple button before logging it but this doesn't show for me.  What am I doing wrong?

First of all, make sure you have a shortcut of 3dxchat executable on your desktop and that the oculus app is running on your PC. Return to your roomscale area, and once you have connected with Airlink and launched the Rift environment, run 3dxchat from there (go to desktop tab and 'double click' the 3dxchat shortcut to execute it, using the A button from right controller). It will keep loading  without launching. Leave your headset in your roomscale area and go to your PC. You will notice that 3dxchat has opened. Left click to focus in its window and then press F1. The purple bit you mentioned underneath the login credentials will now appear. Left click in it and it will ask you to put on your headset. Leave it as is, and return to your roomscale area, put on your headset; you are now in VR. 

As for the VR button from 3dxchat's settings it is always blacked out when you're not in VR mode; while within VR if you go to settings it is no longer blacked, and you can check and uncheck its box (but don't). (In fact, do not change your settings from within VR; if you want to change resolution, and other settings, do them before you launch it in VR, while on desktop). 

Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, Nibun said:

First of all, make sure you have a shortcut of 3dxchat executable on your desktop and that the oculus app is running on your PC. Return to your roomscale area, and once you have connected with Airlink and launched the Rift environment, run 3dxchat from there (go to desktop tab and 'double click' the 3dxchat shortcut to execute it, using the A button from right controller). It will keep loading  without launching. Leave your headset in your roomscale area and go to your PC. You will notice that 3dxchat has opened. Left click to focus in its window and then press F1. The purple bit you mentioned underneath the login credentials will now appear. Left click in it and it will ask you to put on your headset. Leave it as is, and return to your roomscale area, put on your headset; you are now in VR. 

As for the VR button from 3dxchat's settings it is always blacked out when you're not in VR mode; while within VR if you go to settings it is no longer blacked, and you can check and uncheck its box (but don't). (In fact, do not change your settings from within VR; if you want to change resolution, and other settings, do them before you launch it in VR, while on desktop). 

Hope this helps.

Well done Nibun, you cracked the VR Divinci Code, lol

I can confirm this works.

• 1 month later...
On 11/23/2023 at 7:44 AM, Devil Bringer said:

@Nibun Yeah, that's the way I've managed to get to VR mode. But it seems copletely broken! I only can point cursor with my head and only one button seem to work. You can't even turn! It's impossible to play this way. Am I doing something wrong, or we need to wait until developers fix VR?

You have to use the mouse and keyboard for VR as well.

Quest controllers do not work.

On 11/24/2023 at 8:03 PM, SerenityWillow said:

You have to use the mouse and keyboard for VR as well.

Quest controllers do not work.

Well, mouse and keyboard are working very strange as well. Mouse does not move cursor or rotate camera, pointer is fixed on character's eyes. You have to "look"
 at button, and then press LMB. Same with walking: you look at point you want to move and press button. You can switch to free camera, but controlling it is a nightmare. It sticks to some sort of grid on eyes level. The rest of interface moves very strange, not rotating properly and I found it stuck in wall after few minutes of playing.

• 1 month later...
On 11/23/2023 at 9:44 AM, Devil Bringer said:

@Nibun Yeah, that's the way I've managed to get to VR mode. But it seems completely broken! I only can point cursor with my head and only one button seem to work. You can't even turn! It's impossible to play this way. Am I doing something wrong, or we need to wait until developers fix VR?

Yes, I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner, you'd think I'd receive a notification when someone replies to a post ;) Anyway, so, like you figured out by now, there is basically two and only two things you can do: use your eyes and press A on the right controller. So, you  use your eyes to look around as the equivalent of moving the mouse around on the desktop. You 'select' something by first looking at it; e.g. the green login prompt turns grey when you look at it, which IMHO is a bit odd (you'd think grey would not be the colour of choice for focusing on something  :) ). Anyway, that means it's now selected (the equivalent of your 'mouse' being on top of the prompt). Next you tap the A button on the right controller, which is the equivalent of pressing the LMB on the desktop and you're in. Now, you have a limited choice of things to do. If you ensured you can 'double-click to run' from settings before going in VR, then you can move around either by looking somewhere and tapping A or by double-tapping A to run (you just move faster, it feels like you're on an e-scooter lol). That's it. You can select poses with real partners in VR (they don't need to be in VR) as usual. It sort of keeps your perspective to first person, which is nice when you walk but which feels a bit awkward when you're lower on the ground, but it sort of works - some poses look and work better than others.  Do not try to use poses like sitting on couches and such on your own as you won't be able to get up again :) You can however use Sit1 and such to sit on the ground (and then get up by tapping with A somewhere on the ground to walk there). Also, you can't really use the chat window properly, at least I didn't manage to do so. 

I haven't tried using a virtual mouse and keyboard, that's just me trying it out with controllers and quest 2 headset.  ;) 

Edited by Nibun