3DXChat Community

Not able to change res after upgrading from win7 to win10

AllyLove

Heeey everyone. 

Decided to finnaly upgrade my windows after beeing to lazy for around 2 years now. 
Suddenly my only option for res is my native resolution no matter if I'm in window mode or not. Haven't changed anything and now I am stuck in a resolution I don't really enjoy play with :D

Anyone gotten a potental fix for it ? 

3 minutes ago, AllyLove said:

Heeey everyone. 

Decided to finnaly upgrade my windows after beeing to lazy for around 2 years now. 
Suddenly my only option for res is my native resolution no matter if I'm in window mode or not. Haven't changed anything and now I am stuck in a resolution I don't really enjoy play with :D

Anyone gotten a potental fix for it ? 

Sounds to me like a gfx card issue. Did you tried to reinstall or upgrade your graphics card driver after you upgraded your windows? 

1 hour ago, chloe said:

Sounds to me like a gfx card issue. Did you tried to reinstall or upgrade your graphics card driver after you upgraded your windows? 

Everything up to date of course :D Made sure about that! So that's not it. Thanks for trying to help anyways

Hi AllyLove,

I have a suspicion you may need to do a clean install of Win10, as Chloe suggests, because I think your 3DXCHAT is probably looking at the WIN7 Registry file, or similar.

It would be interesting to see if your Registry file is being updated when you change the Resolution settings in 3dx.  The following thread describes how to check and set the UI Scale directly in the Registry, but one of the other keys will be for the Resolution.  I suggest you look at the value you have for the Resolution in the 3dxchat section of the Registry, then close the Registry, change the resolution setting in the game, then open the Registry and see if the value has changed.

If the Registry value didn't change you could you could try to see if a workaround works for now by setting it manually.  The value required will relate to the position in the Game settings  Resolution menu dropdown that relates to the setting you want.  The first resolution option in the game settings dropdown would require a value in the Registry of '0'.  The second resolution option in the game setting dropdown would require a value in the Registry of '1'...and so on.

Edited by Leopardus

9 minutes ago, Leopardus said:

Hi AllyLove,

I have a suspicion you may need to do a clean install of Win10, as Chloe suggests, because I think your 3DXCHAT is probably looking at the WIN7 Registry file, or similar.

It would be interesting to see if your Registry file is being updated when you change the Resolution settings in 3dx.  The following thread describes how to check and set the UI Scale directly in the Registry, but one of the other keys will be for the Resolution.  I suggest you look at the value you have for the Resolution in the 3dxchat section of the Registry, then close the Registry, change the resolution setting in the game, then open the Registry and see if the value has changed.

If the Registry value didn't change you could you could try to see if a workaround works for now by setting it manually.  The value required will relate to the position in the Game settings  Resolution menu dropdown that relates to the setting you want.  The first resolution option in the game settings dropdown would require a value in the Registry of '0'.  The second resolution option in the game setting dropdown would require a value in the Registry of '1'...and so on.

Thanks for the advice. Clean installing will be the last thing I try though. The weird thing is 3dx doesn't even give me the option to chnage the res. My native one is the only one I can use. When I open the drop menu that should show me all the possible resolitions I can choose from it only shows me my native one. Nothing else to click on. Thanks anyways.

Interesting, so it is something else then. It kinda suggests 3DX isn't the problem, if the system is telling it you can only choose from one resolution.  It does look more like a Windows/Graphics Card/screen driver issue.

Maybe reinstall the latest drivers for your screen?

Edited by Leopardus

1 hour ago, Leopardus said:

Interesting, so it is something else then. It kinda suggests 3DX isn't the problem, if the system is telling it you can only choose from one resolution.  It does look more like a Windows/Graphics Card/screen driver issue.

Maybe reinstall the latest drivers for your screen?

Kay I fixed it but in kind of a weird way. Just sharing in case anyone ever has this problem as well. Nothing rly fixed it even clean installed all my drivers etc.
What I ended up doing was chnage my desktop res to something that is not my native screen size started 3dx and suddenly all my res options were back. Went back to my native res on desktop and options still there.