3DXChat Community

Merge from file option

Annie White

Hello everybody,

First, happy holidays and happy end of year.

this may be a silly question but ...

For two days I cannot merge a file in my room. Is there an issue with the option?

Once I have choosen the file to merge I cannot find the object in my room. I had no problem before.

Thanks !

On 12/29/2022 at 10:25 AM, Annie White said:

Hello everybody,

First, happy holidays and happy end of year.

this may be a silly question but ...

For two days I cannot merge a file in my room. Is there an issue with the option?

Once I have choosen the file to merge I cannot find the object in my room. I had no problem before.

Thanks !

Hi Annie, File merge can be a nightmare. Basically the file appears at the exact spot it was last saved/created at so this could be at sea level or miles in the sky and it could be hidden by something already in your build. The easiest way to find an item is a little long-winded but it's so worth it and once you've done it once it's a lot easier.

First make sure you have you build saved (VERY IMPORTANT). Now go back to file and choose 'Clear all props' and you will be left with nothing but sea and sky.

Now choose any object to add, I just use a plain white cube, you can make it bigger and even flashing if you want, that helps with a later stage. Now using the 'Transform' window make 'x' and 'z' both 0; I then raise it a way up from the ocean. So now the cube is exactly at 0x0 which is important later.

Now merge the problem file into your empty room, like I said it could appear anywhere but because you have a totally empty room it should be easier to spot. But if you still can't see it already highlighted then draw large boxes in the air (left click and drag) until you see the item become selected. This is why you start with an empty room, if it was a populated room you'd pick up hundreds of other props doing this. The next stage is to select your merged item and drag it to the cube you placed at 0x0 and place it exactly above the cube. I always raise the cube quite a way above sea level so that when you come to merge it into your build there's no danger of it appearing under a mountain or building. The other thing I do which may be overkill but it's useful with smaller items, I create a cone, rotate it so it's pointing down, make it REALLY tall and add a coloured flashing light effect to it. I now point this cone at the merged item from above.

Now select the cone and the merged item (no need to select the cube) and 'Save selected to file'.

Now, go back to your build, add a new cube and repeat the steps to place it at 0x0. Now you know where 0x0 is in your build. I'm sure you're way ahead of me but remember what I said about merged items appearing where they were last saved? Yes, that was 0x0 right where you just placed that cube. So now merge your item from file and it should appear right where your cube is but if it's under a mountain or something the big flashing cone will show you exactly where it is.

I hope this helps but feel free to message me if I didn't explain it well enough. BTW I'm AliceofDan in game, just haven't changed my name here yet :)