3DXChat Community

Global networking a long long time before the internet...

U-E

Its on my mind, amazingly its not about sex, and I am sharing it....  :)

"For most of their history, whales may have established a global communications network," Carl Sagan stated.

Emitting sound at a very low frequency of around 20 hertz, blue, fin, humpback and minke whales aren't merely able to communicate across hundreds of meters like a shouting human, but all the way across vast oceans of 15,000kms or more (before the noise of ships and explosions interfered).

post-4848-0-07165300-1424645041_thumb.jpgpost-4848-0-42567500-1424645842_thumb.jpg

The Manatee on the other hand is a little more limited.

All I can think watching the manatee hit the glass is, "but I want kisses too!"  :lol:

"...just .........loooove meee tooooo.....ooouusshhhhh.....aahhhh...... now I'm slowly falling to the side.... .....I am so dead inside right now ". Bless it, poor thing - so cute though  :) 

On another note, sound travels 25 times faster underwater than it does through the air.   Though in our oceans that sound only really travels well in the first 200-300 meters of depth.  Any deeper and the sea pressure causes most sound to bend downward and crash into the sea bottom.

Out of my eight years in the US Navy I probably spent more time listening to whales, dolphins, and krill than actually tracking submarines as a Sonar Tech.  But sound propagation underwater can seem an amazing thing when tracking a submarine that is intentionally doing it's best to hide or "run silent" because of the sounds caused by a transmission or propeller defect traveling over near a thousand miles through the water.