3DXChat Community

Could we get a smooth wood texture material

TashaTight

Would like title said like if we could get a smooth wood texture that we can use for stuff like furniture without it looking rough, like this example in light wood color that allow more tint options.

white-wood-texture-picture-id182489301?k

This one is an example from image stock, will leave link if you want to try to get this one.

https://www.istockphoto.com/dk/photos/seamless-birch-trees-background?excludenudity=false&sort=mostpopular&mediatype=photography&phrase=seamless birch trees background

Edited by KimmyFox

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, just some plain wood textures would be great. Not a recurring pattern for wood flooring that looks terrible when you make your own furniture.

The only options to work with right now are a rough cut lumber with splits in it and a very rough plywood.
The color on these are too dark or too red to allow much customization even if we can live with the rough look of the surface.

I made a nice Craftsman style lamp but my wood and color choice is horribly limited.
It would not hurt to have some semi-transparent materials to make lamp shades out of as well but that's off topic of this ask.

It would be an extra benefit if we could choose a wood grain texture with different orientation if possible.  I realize they are a recurring pattern layer so the orientation of the grain is the same for all using the same texture but if you used a smooth grained pattern with a light color that can be easily tinted to what we want and made one North/South and one East/West things would be so much more flexible for builders.

Craftsman_Lamp_front.png

• 8 months later...

I ended up using the Leather texture for a wood cabinet because every single version of wood looks bad for it.  Either it has built in seams or it looks like it's been outside for years.  I am trying to make cabinets that look like they are made by a fine cabinetmaker not something that's been in a barn for years.  

Also anyone that knows wood working will tell you to go with the grain not against it.  Try to make an upright post the look is that it is cut across the grain. This weakens it so much it's not usable.  Might as well stack cards and try to use them for a support.  Heather's request for grains going 2 ways is close.  We need all 3.  Smooth wood grain. 

If you want it to shine put a thin layer of glass over it or something people :)