3DXChat Community

Adjusting Lights and Lights Color/Temperature

SteveM

4 hours ago, MeiLing said:

You must reduce the size of the light which is a cube 1x1x1. Play with the dimensions until you find the right size

MeiLing, thnks for answering,

that does not solve the problem, because the smaller the size, the more the spatial area, in which the light is visiblechanges too.

In addition, the light cone is smaller, which leads to small round or oblong blobs of light.

You then need a lot more lights, which in turn requires more graphics and CPU performance.

The behavior does not correspond to that of a natural light source.

keep the same ratios for the values but decrease them... 255 is the brightest thing... slash that to let's say 127... so for example your candle light would be 127,73,20.
or you can simply just drag the marker to darker tone after you put your values.

and like Mei said playing with size is important... you really shouldn't have a candle light that's 1 meter cubic

Edited by Anaganda

While I dont use these values you listed, I have a set 5 colours as my go-to for normal lighting, fluro, floodlight, tungsten, candle, fire, any others I will make as I go. Ive included a pic that I use for adjustment of colours. If I want a little more or less colour left to right, and up and down to adjust the brightness. 

While you are correct in the size is not the right way to adjust the overall brightness, it can be used for some fine tuning and brightness variation in some rooms. A good example is a table lamp next to a bed, I will use a shrunken light tool to display the concentrated light directly from the lamp that doesnt travel far and normal size light placed near to spread that same colour across the bed and area around it. Its very hard to achieve that same effect with just using brightness.

cp.JPG

• 4 years later...
On 12/14/2019 at 6:08 PM, SteveM said:

I just found a table, that might be helpfull with finding the right light temperature for a specific ambient.
Now i'm searching for a method to "dim" the lights, cause after applying the RGB values, the light has the correct temperatur, but is very bright.

20191204_Bild_022.jpg.a544321cf4100a9e0e82425357a7428f.jpg

Excellent post, Steve.