3DXChat Community

Rooms should always be open

Auryyn

I would like the rooms to be always open, no matter if the owner is on or not. When I build a meeting point for me and my friends they should be able to access this room even when I'm not on. This way more rooms would be open and it would be more interesting to look around and explore the rooms.

Β 

12 hours ago, ExHaran said:

There are many games that do this. The question is about server space&price, in my opinion.

you know very well that second life does that n thats why peopel pay for the sims ^^ to put it it simply they pay fee for the server and thus they are open 24/7 .

If people in 3dxchat are willing to pay to keep their rooms open 24/7 im sure Gizmo will find a way :)

Edited by Aliviax

1 hour ago, Aliviax said:

you know very well that second life does that n thats why peopel pay for the sims ^^ to put it it simply they pay fee for the server and thus they are open 24/7 .

If people in 3dxchat are willing to pay to keep their rooms open 24/7 im sure Gizmo will find a way :)

People in SL pay for this because SL is free-to-play and they should find money for the server space. I repeated it all the time, it`s two different types of games.

You can do this now, Gizmo really doesn't have to set up anything and without going to a lot of expense and quite a bit of work really can't.

When we open our rooms we create a new scene in Unity and our own computer very much becomes the server for that scene. Many of the functions a server is required to do is then done by the room owners computer, almost all the information about what is happening in that room is passed to all in there by the room owners computer.

For Gizmo to supply a way to be able to keep our rooms open when we are not online then he will need to supply much much more server power to be able to handle all those open scenes. Unity works that way to make it so game developers do not need to supply huge amounts a servers and server power for games, the work load gets shared between everyone in the game, like room owners creating scenes.

If you really want to make it so you have a room open 24/7 you can, but it will cost you to do so and depends on how exactly you want to do it.

A ) Just open your room and stay online AFK, likely this is not what you are looking to do but really doesn't cost anything, but ties up your computer and your avi is online all the time.

B ) Create a second account and use that to open the room, again your computer is tied up all the time but your avi is now the one on your second account.

C ) Get another computer and use it with either A or B.

D ) Rent a dedicated windows server from somewhere, load the game on it and use either A or B, you can get these for less than $50 a month now. If you have your own server you can also set up a system to be able to have it so DJs can supply the music without you having to be online.

Β 

Edited to add....

Perhaps something you could ask Gizmo is to supply a free account to those who are looking to set up permanent rooms using dedicated servers like in D.

Β 

Β 

Edited by Twiggy

Well I guess Gizmo could make some app for us and let us use it to host rooms with one of ourΒ avis, while we can either don't play 3dx currently (so our PC will not spend so much resources because it will be solely room hosting, without graphics) or even in the same time with hosting a room using this app we couldΒ playΒ usingΒ the same account on other avi, using the main client. But making a whole sepparate app sounds like a lot of work. Honestly, I would prefer this time invested in other things, more important ones (for me at least) than ability to host rooms 24/7.Β 

sure he can do but the question is for free ? or charge extra ?

a idea is whoever wants to have their room open 24/7 to pay some extra example buy lets say 1 month 1 week with a price devs see fitΒ  for this. called the host package :)Β people in second life pay 600dollars per month for sims lol they usually rent land but they limit u in many ways be it prims etc .

So its resonable to think if our devs make it to not be freeΒ 

4 hours ago, ExHaran said:

People in SL pay for this because SL is free-to-play and they should find money for the server space. I repeated it all the time, it`s two different types of games.

its free to play cause u get a crappy avatar that u puke from the uglyness :)Β u forgot to mention that :)Β hehe

ofc i agree they are 2 different games i might not like SL graphics but i love their market n cloth option and the fact you can go out for shopping .

If 3dxchat had the clothe market of sl or sl had the graphics of 3dxchat i think it would be the perfect game but hey we cant have all haha

Thanks Twiggy to explain how the 3DX software works. This is really very different to SL where all content is stored on the servers.

Aliviax: Just to clear things. The cheapest sim in SL costs 120 USD and up to 25 avas can be there. You can rent parcels too for a lower price. And the SL avas of today are at least as cute as the avas in 3DX.Β 

A combination of the 2 worlds would really be great.

5 hours ago, Aliviax said:

its free to play cause u get a crappy avatar that u puke from the uglyness :)Β u forgot to mention that :)Β hehe

ofc i agree they are 2 different games i might not like SL graphics but i love their market n cloth option and the fact you can go out for shopping .

If 3dxchat had the clothe market of sl or sl had the graphics of 3dxchat i think it would be the perfect game but hey we cant have all haha

It`s free to play because they chose exactly this model of the game. At start these avatars was good for the past.Β :)

Obvious solution for me would be if the developers either rented out 24/7 option servers like some other game genre do with their game with limited people capacity, other option in my opinion would be to add premium option to accounts that let people with premium accounts do it, to off set the extra cost on servers since everyone will be wanted to do this to one extend or another.

One last options I see if making some sort of Xgold donation box version where either own can pay Xgold into to keep it open or guest can if they like the room and wishes to support it, to avoid room floods or rooms simply staying open 24/7 because it's possible without there really being any need or demand for it.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong I really like this idea of having option to keep room open 24/7 as anyone else, especially since there not many RP hubs to roleplay at withinΒ fixed public rooms. But just not at the expense of having really bad server stability like we had back when DLL rooms got out of hand and was constant disconnections and what not.

Edited by KimmyFox

48 minutes ago, danididit said:

It doesn't cost any extra on Red Light Center. The homes and clubs you build aren't even saved on your computer, they are saved on their servers and still no extra fee. As long as you (the owner of said home or club) have it saved as an public room, it is available for all to come to even if you are not in game

Same on IMVU.Β 

I'd like to see rooms be able to be visited anytime by a person who allows that to happen.

One of the things I used to really like about RLC (and still sometimes do) was the ability to go explore things built as long as 12 years ago. There are literally tens of thousandsΒ  of places to visit. Sure, much of it is dated, but you can see the evolution that occurred over time and some very clever and unique ideas. Add in the custom textures and places can still be quite impressive. There isn't really any resources being used other than the file size when no one is in a room in that model - I don't see why our rooms couldn't sit on a server like the 3DX rooms do now and lie dormant till someone loads one - but I am not a programmer

I don't think there is much a need of categories right now. There are so few rooms open at any one time that it is easy to scroll through the list quickly. However I'd think you'd need categories if any room was accessible at any time, as the number of rooms would be in the thousands by now even if only 3 rooms per account could be added.

There is some amazing things that have been made I'd like to be able to go back and visit.

• 9 months later...
On 9/16/2019 at 9:11 PM, THX said:

There isn't really any resources being used other than the file size when no one is in a room in that model - I don't see why our rooms couldn't sit on a server like the 3DX rooms do now and lie dormant till someone loads one

This right here. Server load only increases when the room is actually active. All rooms could theoretically be "open" at all times but only actually be "open-open" when someone loads into the room and activates it. When the last person leaves it, the system can deactivate the room but still remains "open" for someone else to load into it again.

Server load will increase with more rooms definitely being open at once, but they won't all be open all the time. Just ones with people actually in them.

Problem I see is room music. You'd need a way to tie music in to load automatically, and if the room owner normally runs a custom stream when they are on, they'd need to be able to at least set a fallback stream that loads when the custom stream is not running.

The way server works, i don't think there would be an higher load on the server to keep room opens. Server is only working when you send him queries, so if there is no one in a room, it doesn't happen anything. I'm not even sure there is a difference between having 50 people in 50 rooms and 50 people in one room, at least on server side.

I can be wrong, i never saw the code. But my guess is that most of the work is on the client side, not on the server side, when there is a lot of people in a room.

Though just imagine if one thousand players were keeping their rooms open all the time. It would be impossible to find the room you are looking for.

The choice they made about closing the room only when it will be empty is pretty clever i think. A good balance between closing when the owner is disconnected, and keeping the room open all the time.