3DXChat Community

3rd party addons support

Anaganda

I am not a techy person... so I don't know if what I am purposing is in the realm of possibilities or not.

But Gizzie since you are in a good mood and are giving people what they want, I wanted to suggest adding support to 3rd party addons like Rochie's & Alex's, if possible ofc...  and I don't mean giving modders money, I just mean making it easier for them to do what they do  :D

A lot of big name companies do that... off the top of my head blizzard for world of warcraft (they litterly have a folder called -addons- in their game directory so people just put addon files there and the game reads them) so there's no shame in it really, infact I think it's smart move... basically it's additional features added to the game for free....

Thanks

well as I see it the devs already answered that "Question" it will be the 64b way on long term.

as of the mod(s) what most ppl use: would be nice that the devs implement these official in the client at least.

The few functions should not be that hard to do (slow camera speed option for editor, extended color palette, color palette for skin, etc)

well as I see it the devs already answered that "Question" it will be the 64b way on long term.

as of the mod(s) what most ppl use: would be nice that the devs implement these official in the client at least.

The few functions should not be that hard to do (slow camera speed option for editor, extended color palette, color palette for skin, etc)

From what I heard enabling Rochi DLL in new 64 client is checking one single checkmark for devs.

And unless they plan to implement all DLL features especially stuff like time stamps, mute all but PMs, outfit saver etc they better do or we lose 50% of customization we have in this game which would be very huge step backwards

While we're shooting, let's shoot for the moon.  I'd like to suggest the Gizmo go full open source on the 3dxclient.  Put it on github and everything.

I know this is a really hard decision to make.  I've been there. 

There are serious cons, including your competitors being able to steal your code, and your customers finding ways to abuse others.

But there are serious pros too.  There are a number of professional software devolpers who would contribute to the game.  If Gizmo is the only Dev, then just having two or three of us contribute would substantially increase available dev resources.  Gizmo, you'd still decide what goes into the game, which commits to take, etc.  But you'd get a lot of the smaller UI things implemented for you in your code base, and that would allow you to focus on the bigger, architectural features like pose and clothing editors.  

As for the cons.  While competitors could see your code, they wouldn't have access to the server side components, so they couldn't copy you outright.  And while some people would look at the code and find loopholes to make things worse for others, there would be more of us to help fix those bugs and close those loopholes.

This is not a decision I expect you to make lightly.  But please take some time to consider it.

Tlaera

• 4 months later...

Bump.

Gizzie, thanks for cool new update.

Still majority of the community is asking for the 3rd party mods back, and you did manage to expertly silence us by making this topic... 

thankfully you gave us a number of the features so far I counted 4 (camera speed, load/save outfits, skin color palette and longer chat log)

however those are not enough, so many of the features that are making our gaming time better and are taken for granted by the community, now are missing.

what's happening is that your community is now split in two, with a good number staying on old client, unable to enjoy the new updates.... cause basically 3dx is unplayable for them without the mod's features. (please don't get a bright idea and shut down the old client, thinking it will solve the problem :D)

I know it's a hulking task to implement all those features that got added on over years. so the question is...

why not just implement the whole 3rd party mod?

Is it a technical issue? if so please tell us so we can be at peace. (ps. we know it's not)

please reconsider your stance against the 3rd party mod... it will make everyone happier, the game better, your life easier... and will allow everyone to enjoy all the hard work you are putting in updating the game... and truly you will come out looking like a hero.

Thanks.