3DXChat Community

Middle class or what!

Bridget_Cleary

I really dislike M&S personally. The most over packaged and over hyped food.

Luckily my gardener grows lovely fruit and vegetables on the estate, my next door neighbour's lamb and eggs are fantastic, the free range chickens and pork from another neighbour are delicious and we have a superb local artisan baker that supplies our bread.

The problem with supermarket food is that it is ALL inferior. Middle class means striving for exclusivity and pretending to be something that you are not.

(For example...for gardener read my wife, and for estate read my garden.) ;)

Ace post Leopardus. I don’t think many of us like people who play false to themselves. This thread all started with a silly convo with some in game friends, like who of the three of us was most middle class. I won hands down, despite my working class credentials, by virtue of my having a bean to cup coffee machine, plus a second one waiting to go to the dump. Oh that and getting groceries delivered from that ‘W’ place.

Seriously though, middle class or not you can’t beat stuff from your own garden. I only do herbs, asparagus, strawberries and raspberries but I do have a few fruit trees. My hens .............. they are all rescued ex-battery hens so they live a happy free range retirement causing mayhem in my garden. Accuse me of virtue signalling if you like but it is a very small thing I can do for these poor creatures, they arrive looking so sad, pale, mostly bald. It’s wonderful to see them settling in and doing henny things, and the eggs they produce beat anything you can buy. They quickly feather up and start showing their personalities.

I don't think pretentious twats are anything but pretentious twats. Middle class is pretty OK really.

I am also of working class background, made more apparent from researching my family history recently. For 150 years my family members lived in squalor in the worst slums in London, and pushed barrows at Smithfields meat market. In fact I am the first generation to be born away from that environment. I consider myself lucky to have had the opportunities for a different life and recognise how my grandfather and father made that possible. I joke about myself being middle class and I do enjoy and aspire for the good things in life...but I never really lose sight of where I came from and how lucky I am.

To me being middle class really means saying thanks to my family for giving me the opportunities to make it possible.

I might have a life, income and comforts now that would classify me as middle class but I still have to work for it.

Someone I used to work with used to say there is no such thing as middle class really. There is working class and privileged class. I think there is truth in that.

• 3 weeks later...

Where is summer! I suppose there’s no alternative but to put the heating on, log in and go the beach and pretend to soak up a few rays.

All this rain has one bonus, a bumper asparagus harvest. 84 spears with four days left to go before the end of the season.

• 5 weeks later...

There are times when real life has to take over, and that's the case with me at the moment. Close friends know why so it's a public thank you for their support.

After a bumper asparagus crop the strawberries and raspberries are coming along. From the greenhouse we've had our first cucumber, the rest are becoming positively tumescent.

Here's a raspberry suggestion:-

Marinate raspberries in a nice sweet rose wine, this makes an ace sauce.

Mix a little sugar and vanilla in to some nice soft goats cheese (we get an ace one here called Vulscombe)

Serve up a good helping each of fruit and sauce and put a blob of sweetened goats cheese on top.

Nothing better after a barbie in the garden .............................. unless of course you prefer pavlova's. OMG so much yummy stuff around in summer!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Mikey's a mouldy oldie really 🙂

Here's one - I've just been over to Ireland to see family, you know how it is ............... you have to visit aunts, uncles, cousins, second cousins and they all make you really welcome. Funnt things is they all use it as an excuse to get the whole family together so you see everybody every visit. I love my family, they're totally bonkers and totally ace.

We flew in to Cork with Aer Lingus and I can confirm that electronic devices that do not have 'flight safe' mode must be turned off during all stages of the flight. Just saying ................ that's all. Of course once you turn your phone on again on landing you get loads and loads of texts from everybody because they've all been working out who's picking you up.

Back to rl again for me, tc everybody, yeah.