3DXChat Community

dec·ades at ab·so·lute

Every decade, a period of ten years, music has proven to change and to grow so much,

that it is worthy to look at each decades idea of hard rock and examine how it has influenced today's bands.

Starting with the 70's, a time reflecting the antiwar and counterculture sentiments and the political unrest that carried over from the 60's;

tie dye shirts, ponchos, bell-bottoms, gauchos, and frayed jeans;

lava lamps and vinyl records;

Mork and Mindy (rest in peace Robin Williams);

Apocalypse Now, Alien, Superman, Grease, and -

The Godfather (it gives 'to the mattress' a completely different meaning) and -

the beginning of the Star Wars empire (see what I did there?);

and the list goes on.

But mostly it was the beginning of the journey of what people considered to be 'heavy metal'.

Roots of heavy metal come from bands like Blue Cheer and Jimmy Hendrix but officially the first band cited as heavy metal is...

Come to Absolute on Little Friday for that answer, and you will understand the musical journey of hard rock through the 70's and beyond.

This will be a five week series as we go through the decades, exploring the various influences to the music you listen to today.

post-17203-0-92662800-1553486492_thumb.png

dec·ades at ab·so·lute

Continuing our journey through the decades, the idealistic dreams of the 60s and 70s were worn down by inflation, foreign policy turmoil and rising crime;

popular culture reflected the era's political conservatism with the symbol of the decade being

'yuppie' - a baby boomer with a college education, a well-paying job and expensive taste;

shoulder pads, perms, a small fortune in hair spray (I guess I could have just said BIG HAIR), spandex, leather were the 'look';

"Just Say No";

Afterschool Specials, Reading Rainbow, and a whole slew of painful shows I won't mention here;

E.T., Return of the Jedi and Raiders of the Lost Ark;

The Breakfast Club and Pretty In Pink;

The Walkman

"Be Kind, Rewind"

Rubik's Cube

glam rock, punk rock, hard rock, metal

MTV

and the list goes on and on... and on.

It was the continuing journey of understanding what people considered to be 'heavy metal'.

Bands like Metallica, Def Leppard, Guns N' Roses, Scorpions, Dio, Ratt, and so many more, helped perpetuate a deeper understanding of metal.

Come to Absolute on Little Friday to continue the musical journey of hard rock through the 70's and beyond.

This will be the second of a five week series as we go through the decades, exploring the various influences to the music you listen to today.

post-17203-0-96292700-1554337388_thumb.png

dec·ades at ab·so·lute

Continuing our journey through the decades... lets just face it, the 90s were hard to explain. Some say it was the best decade to grow up in, and here is why:

The President of the United State had the 'cigar' to try and reinvent how sex was defined;

Slang (Wassup?, Let's get jiggy with it, As if) Great stuff, right? Psyche.

Michael Jordan, Mark McGwire, Tiger Woods and the amazing Wayne Gretsky (if you don't know Wayne, just get out of this post right now!);

Generation X

Plaid, ripped jeans, windbreakers, bandannas, combat boots, light up sneakers, overalls, backwards caps;

Friends, Seinfeld, ER, Law & Order (ohh, the original), Full House,

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Saved by the Bell, The Sopranos and In Living Color;

Independence Day, Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List, Matrix;

Lion King, Toy Story (the first);

Slap bracelets, Trapper Keepers, Beanie Babies, The Macarena (can we forget that one?);

Cell phones, common computer usage and the internet;

Y2K;

and the list goes on.

We are continuing journey of understanding what people considered to be 'heavy metal'.

Bands like Metallica (more, more, more), Pantera, Sepultura, Korn, Megadeth, Slayer and so many more, helped perpetuate a deeper understanding of metal.

Come to Absolute on Little Friday to continue the musical journey of hard rock through the 70's and beyond.

This will be the third of a five week series as we go through the decades, exploring the various influences to the music you listen to today.

post-17203-0-98979300-1554996547_thumb.png

Due to real life, the Decades event will be rescheduled for next week.

Please join us on Tuesday for DJ Vixen as she starts off our Decades event with Part 1, the lighter side of the 2000s,

and then I will be bringing you the hard rock/metal you know and love in Part 2, Through the Decades on Thursday for Little Friday.

Have a good week all.

Until then, rock on!

dec·ades at ab·so·lute

Continuing our journey through the decades... the 2000's were a turbulent time. We saw a great deal of loss with the Twin Towers, the Iraq and Afghanistan wars and Hurricane Katrina,

but there were many "positive" things that defined this decade as well, such as:

The golden age of Nickelodeon;

AOL Instant Messenger;

IPod's, camera phones, flash drives, Bluetooth;

Minesweeper;

Facebook (fracking die already!);

MySpace (dead, dead, dead);

YouTube (<3);

Low rise jeans, tube tops, bell sleeved shirts, crop tops, cargo pants, Capri's, trench coats;

Brad and Jen, Britney and don't make me go on;

Sex In The City, Lost, The Sopranos, every idiotic adult cartoon show;

Boy bands (kill me now);

and the list goes on... and on...

We are yet continuing journey of understanding what people considered to be 'heavy metal'.

Bands like Metallica (a constant), Slipknot, SOAD, Pantera, Disturbed, A7x, Iron Maiden, and so many more, helped perpetuate a deeper understanding of metal.

Come to Absolute on TUESDAY as DJ Vixen shares the lighter side of the 2000's,

while keeping some room for dessert on Thursday's Little Friday to continue the musical journey of hard rock through the 70's and beyond.

This will be the fourth of a five week series as we go through the decades, exploring the various influences to the music you listen to today.

post-17203-0-09491500-1555978418_thumb.png

dec·ades at ab·so·lute

Here we are, coming to the end of our Through the Decades series as we have finally hit our current decade, the 2010's,

where we live in a connected age of instant gratification and instant response, such as:

Tinder and the swipe right or left deliberation;

Dreams of internet stardom with YouTube, Instagram, blogging... 

(the internet equivalent of being a garage band aiming for music success);

Instagram;

Memes. Yep.;

The golden age of comic book movies;

Pokemon Go (that one time PG was played by everyone BUT me);

Net neutrality;

The bearded gentleman;

Clothing. Just look around you right now;

and the list will stop here.

We are concluding our journey with our current decade, as we explore the music of today and what the results are of what came before it.

Come to Absolute on TUESDAY as DJ Vixen shares the lighter side of the 2010's rock,

while keeping some room for dessert on Thursday's Little Friday to continue the musical journey of hard rock through the 70's and beyond.

This will be the fifth week of the series as we go through the decades, exploring the various influences to the music you listen to today.

NOTE: Make sure to check out the polls on this forum and cast your vote for the single best song of each decade.

If you don't agree with the choices, please put your thoughts in the comment by posting.

Next week set will be about what YOU have decided. Make sure your voice is heard!

post-17203-0-20385400-1556596726_thumb.png

You have been a part of this journey, traveling Through the Decades, as we explore the 'roots' of today's hard rock and metal.

It has consisted of six weeks. Five decades. Amazing music. Wonderful people.

Join us as we finish this with music YOU have decided on. The best hard rock/metal of each decade highlighted, with DJ Rae on the 9th.

But first, DJ Vixen will bring you the lighter side of the hard rock of Absolute tomorrow, the 7th

Thank you for being a part of the Through the Decades event.

We started this together. Now, let's finish it together.

post-17203-0-01510100-1557205123_thumb.png

Well written Raevaen! 

The following is not ment as criticism... just stirring the pot a little.

Arguably one of the most poplar genre's in the USA not mentioned is Country!  Don't believe me?

Ask why more times then not country won American Idle - to my amazement frankly.

Country has certainly changed over the years to what could be defined as old country, new country and now country pop.

Its amazing how many artists have changed over to country or dabbled in it in the last several years

Oddly, country has never done well on 3DX. I guess its not appealing to the rest of the world.

I know you can't mention all genre's for their are hundreds over the last 60 years; but, Disco should have been mentioned in your writeups for it was influential in American culture (even world culture) for 10 years.

:P

I'm not speaking for Raevaen in any way whatsoever, but as per my understanding, her "Decades" journey was only meant as a reflection of the most influential music in hard rock/metal.  It wasn't meant to explore different genre's.

Otherwise, not only could you mention country, but Punk, Post-Punk, New-Age, Alternative (and all the variations therein), Rap and it goes on and on and on.

Again, I do think her exploration here was only meant to dive into the hard rock/metal scene, and it did do that rather well.

----------------------

On another "Decades-related" subject, and i'm just thinking out loud (maybe perhaps for a hosted event of my own), but Decades would also work very strongly for the "Alternative" genre.

This has evolved so much in the past 30 years.  In the 80's you would consider bands such as REM, Talking Heads, The Cure, Depeche Mode, and New Order as "ALT"....now they would be considered......not sure...classic, electronic (DM for sure) (?).  Alt changed in the 90's and 2000's as well.  It would be a challenging topic, indeed, as definitions as to what "alt" is have certainly changed over the years.  It's something i'd like to do, but i'm definitely not qualified to nail what alt encompasses in the 21st century.  Give me the 70's-90's and i'm good to go.....beyond that and i'm totally relying on the input of others ;)

Well written Raevaen! 

Arguably one of the most poplar Jondras in the USA not mentioned is Country!  Don't believe me?

Ask why more times then not country won American Idle - to my amazement frankly.

Country has certainly changed over the years to what could be defined as old country, new country and now country pop.

Its amazing how many artists have changed over to country or dabbled in it in the last several years

Oddly, country has never done well on 3DX. I guess its not appealing to the rest of the world.

I know you can't mention all Jondras for their are hundreds over the last 60 years; but, Disco should have been mentioned in your writeups for it was influential in American culture (even world culture) for 10 years.

:P

Well written Raevaen! 

Arguably one of the most poplar Jondras in the USA not mentioned is Country

I think you're missing Rae's point.

She said and I quote

we explore the 'roots' of today's hard rock and metal.

Don't think it was supposed to go into any other genres.