3DXChat Community

Am I a Troll?

DarkFairy

Smh... why agree with something that you have no intention of doing yourself, instead you wish to quiet everyone that doesn't follow the herd, who goes their own path instead of being in this flock of sheeple. Group together to attack anyone who has the same opinions as the one you dislike whether they have said a mean word to you or not. All I gotta say is: Dont drink the punch, yall. I'm out.

Your contribution here is more important than mine, that’s after all, why I created the thread. What’s happened is that my behaviour recently has made everyone assume i’m still trolling. Everyone is guarded and wary of me perhaps?

I can’t control what people post, up to you all to police that yourselves. I would like a genuine discussion without flame but this thread will be what you all make it.

I understand you just fine. You are a moderate of sorts and just stick to your own opinions and beliefs and are not easily swayed to one side or the other. Who knows, maybe you are me.  :blink:

Smh... why agree with something that you have no intention of doing yourself, instead you wish to quiet everyone that doesn't follow the herd, who goes their own path instead of being in this flock of sheeple. Group together to attack anyone who has the same opinions as the one you dislike whether they have said a mean word to you or not. All I gotta say is: Dont drink the punch, yall. I'm out.

I don’t understand what you mean Xandi. If you mean me, i’m certainly not the kind of woman to follow the herd, that should be obvious.

I’ll defend anyone’s right to express themselves here if they can do it with self awareness, respect for others and a bit of humility.

I don't think this video said anything that most of us don't already know, all of us are crazy, that is not news, though I did have to agree a certain troll here would get his ass kicked if he tried to say some of the things he says to people in person instead of saying them hiding behind his computer anonymously, and maybe that is part of the thrill for him, knowing they can't do anything about it, and in the case of these forums, reporting does nothing either when it comes to him, I bet he gets a hard on from that, granted a very small hard on, but still an erection.

That’s a shame your thoughts would have been interesting. I hope you’ll find time some time.

Everyone is always welcome to pm me or talk to me in game if you’re uncomfortable with discussing things here. I’m really not a complete bitch.

It’s usually a good idea to get the information first before commenting on it.

I think most of us have good idea of what behaviour we don’t want on the forums. Most of it is already covered by the rules, yeah. Anyway we’re all adults so we ought to be able to self moderate. I got the message that there is always somebody who’ll start it off and then a load of other people pile in. Let’s assume the initiator will set it going anyway, like it’s what they have to do. The onus falls on the followers not to join in.

If nobody joins in the initiator doesn’t get his,or her but probably his, payback. Even if somebody replies the initiator remains alone if his followers don’t join in.

I’m not sure i’ve been very clear there, sorry. I suppose i’m saying that the troll only gets power if he’s supported.

Thinking about 3dxChat, I think it’s pretty obvious which characters are alts and which aren’t, which should make it easier to isolate the initiator in any thread. Also thinking here, don’t react if you’re called JimBob, Billy, Simon or anything else that isn’t you. Bullies point their fingers and call people names over and over again. They do other thing to people over and over again. It’s not the thing itself that’s the problem particularly, it’s the constant repetition. Like it grinds you down. That is report time. Maybe from the reports Gizmo might realise what it is that pisses people off. Will he do anything, I haven’t a clue but I have a horrid feeling that he won’t until he starts to feel it in his pocket.

Some people are sooooooooo predictable. Did you actually read my post? Let’s wait and see who supports you.

If I read it correctly, I think earlier I was told that I was you. Having a hard time keeping all the different people I am supposed to be organized. But if I am you then this means I am talking to myself right now, which means I guess I have finally transcended to his majesty's level of chatting  trolling on forums.

Since you can only quote so many at once. I'm going to finish next post.

He thinks it is clever and amusing when really he just makes himself look a twat, imho. He doesn’t actually know who we are so he just makes accusations.

Picking up on AHT’s post. Isn’t that why so few people stand up to the trolls here, because the trolls, and their alts, have made it appear they are the group. Most people here just poodle along and let it wash over them until something happens to grab their interest. So the trolls establish their own ethos and impose it on the community. A bit like many extreme political groups.

Your contribution here is more important than mine, that’s after all, why I created the thread. What’s happened is that my behaviour recently has made everyone assume i’m still trolling. Everyone is guarded and wary of me perhaps?

I can’t control what people post, up to you all to police that yourselves. I would like a genuine discussion without flame but this thread will be what you all make it.

It was actually one of his disciples this time, he sends them out to do his dirty work when he is busy pretending he is not at the computer and doing something else.

I understand you just fine. You are a moderate of sorts and just stick to your own opinions and beliefs and are not easily swayed to one side or the other. Who knows, maybe you are me.  :blink:

This thread was done to bait and what seems to want to cause more problems then it if it were left off the forum.  I quoted these as these and the above quoted posts are a perfect example of what I mean.

http://3dxforum.com/index.php?/topic/8235-upcoming-updates-discussion/?p=323229

To discuss the issue of bullying and the claims of it.  There are people who will not mention a name but directly speak about a person and those that support the person lumping them as a group of people, which is a masked way of harassing the user(s). (See the rule posted below with the words in bold.)  There are a multitude of threads that this is being done on including this one. Here are a few examples of what I've dealt with my rape being slammed for days on end, being called a twat, called a child and/or was acting like one, that I veil insults and that I also go after a select group of people.  That being said, I've never insulted someone, harassed anyone or gone after a select group of people.  I reply to any and every one on the forum giving my opinion that can be based on my experience and/or my thoughts on what was written.  I reply when a reply is given and even clarify exactly what I am saying if it's misunderstood.

That being said, it was written that it was a mission to get a certain person banned from the forum even to the point of making another account by someone to continue that by a group of people except a couple of which said it's not right to do, yet doing exactly what they're trying to get that person banned for by doing masked insults and harassment.

Report is a good feature but reporting every post a certain user or select group of users post is actually doing more harm than good because the Devs now have to sort through countless posts on threads instead of the ones that actually need to be looked at which mean the Devs may just skim over the reports, lock or remove a thread instead of reviewing the much needed report(s) that broke a rule and requires action.

Everyone on here is entitled to their opinion and give a reply on this forum even if we don't like their opinion of what is being given.  That is simply what a forum is about.

http://3dxforum.com/...ommunity-rules/

2.02. Insults, personal attacks, abuse, threats, harassment or defamatory are prohibited. This category includes clear and masked language and Both / or links to websites Containing search language or images which:

- Insultingly refer to other characters, players, SexGameDevil employees, or groups of people.
- Result in ongoing harassment to other characters, players, SexGameDevil employees, or groups of people
Harassment takes many forms, and Is not Necessarily limited to the type of language used, but the intent. Repeatedly targeting a specific player with harassment can lead to more severe action.

The idea behind this is to prevent any player from consistently being uncomfortable on the forums.

Not baiting, i’ve made that clear. I can’t control what people post here. Believe so far i’ve attempted to have a reasoned discussion. Which you seem to be avoiding.

Please contribute to the discussion Mar, i’d love to hear your thoughts on the subject rather than repetition of other posts. What you say about the rules is absolutely right but I believe has been stated plenty in other threads already.

One very key and critical part about sending reports is not including ones where the person has been instigated or baited, or reacts to an attack upon themselves. To me that does nothing but compound the problem, also it is just not genuine or respectable, and really makes the report hard to take seriously. However, in the case of one person here on forums someone wanting to report him would be fortunate because most of his rule violations are completely unprovoked. It is a treasure trove of insults, bullying and shaming. After several years of this going on, mostly unchecked, a small countermeasure is forming to deal with the problem. To label that movement bullying in the context of everything this person has said and done over the years is laughable and a rather substantial stretch of reality. Obviously he has a delusional belief that he is untouchable here and is not shy about stating this fallacy, quite often. Similar to a serial killer daring the police to catch him. Soon he will find out he is wrong in that belief, his miniature Charles Manson family followers are not going to be able to do anything to prevent that either. Granted the eventual and avoidable outcome is that he will just make another forum account after that happens, as he has already done countless times, and banned multiple times during various simultaneous suspensions, and that is fine. It is a principle issue, and will still be worth it in the end. Good night/morning.

Edited by Sleeper_Girl

Not baiting, i’ve made that clear. I can’t control what people post here. Believe so far i’ve attempted to have a reasoned discussion. Which you seem to be avoiding.

Please contribute to the discussion Mar, i’d love to hear your thoughts on the subject rather than repetition of other posts. What you say about the rules is absolutely right but I believe has been stated plenty in other threads already.

That is  my thought if I have to repeat myself to make it clear that what is being done breaks a rule, I'm going to point it out.  It's not that it started out as bait it became that when others commented and they were then told they were not commenting properly to the thread.

One very key and critical part about sending reports is not including ones where the person has been instigated or baited, or reacts to an attack upon themselves. To me that does nothing but compound the problem, also it is just not genuine or respectable, and really makes the report hard to take seriously. However, in the case of one person here on forums someone wanting to report him would be fortunate because most of his rule violations are completely unprovoked. It is a treasure trove of insults, bullying and shaming. After several years of this going on, mostly unchecked, a small countermeasure is forming to deal with the problem. To label that movement bullying in the context of everything this person has said and done over the years is laughable and a rather substantial stretch of reality. Obviously he has a delusional belief that he is untouchable here and is not shy about stating this fallacy, quite often. Similar to a serial killer daring the police to catch him. Soon he will find out he is wrong in that belief, his miniature Charles Manson family followers are not going to be able to do anything to prevent that either. Granted the eventual and avoidable outcome is that he will just make another forum account after that happens, as he has already done countless times, and banned multiple times during various simultaneous suspensions, and that is fine. It is a principle issue, and will still be worth it in the end. Good night/morning.

It was masked harassment inferring directly to a specific person without mentioning their name as I'll direct you to the very post I did towards the bottom of page 1 stating the rules.

Oh and just by chance I would immediately see an ignored post by a certain member of forums that I did not even mention by name in the last post. Go figure.

You spoke about the person in a masked manner, it is their choice to respond as report.

DarkFairy, now do understand what I wrote on this thread as to why I said it was a baiting thread?

That reminds me. The band has a female guitarist and she's good, yeah. During the break she goes to the loo closely followed by this guy from the audience who's saying 'I'm better than you, you don't deserve to be up there'. Also something about how women can't really play guitar and stuff like that. At the beginning of the second set set she holds out her guitar and invites the guy on stage to dep for her. Cool as a polar bear's nuts or what, lmao.

Back to the topic

Obviously he has a delusional belief that he is untouchable here and is not shy about stating this fallacy, quite often.

You are right here, but the evdence suggests that he might be correct. He is allowed to get away with it. If he isn't being allowed then he is showing serious disrespect to Gizmo by flouting the rules and then saying he couldn't care less (there's something in me that insists I correct the grammar used) about reports and rules.

I'm not sure that it is right to focus on just the one person, the fundamental point being that if the community rules don't apply to everybody and they aren't applied consistently and transparently then there's not really any point in having them at all. The argument that this is just a game doesn't wash, we are customers we are entitled to a reasonable standard of service. Permitting bullying is not a reasonable standard of service, end of.

If you go take a look at 'The Moderating Team' link it's clear that Gizmo is running the show on his own and has been for some time. It's possible to read quite a lot in to that, and I'm not going to say it. I think people can draw their own conclusions.

What do you want to know, uncle Rob will try his best to answer any question.

I’m interested in everyone’s thoughts on the subject matter. It’s not about specific questions although I have asked some along the way if you’d like to check back. Your choice if you want to pick up any of them to comment.

For you Rob, perhaps as you appear to want to identify as a Troll? or at least accept it readily when others label you as that. I’m not sure which it is honestly. It would be interesting to know what you consider trolling in the context of this community and what isn’t. It would also be interesting to know what you get out of it or why you do it? Is it for reasons like mine below?

I’ll use myself as an example to avoid appearing to bait or attack anyone else. This isn’t about singling out Rob, or anyone in fact, just hoping his question was genuine and we can open more discourse here.

Xandi made a very good point that there are levels, let’s start with that.

Some trolling is a little lighthearted and gently poking fun without being unpleasant. Some is in the middle ground and purposefully disruptive of discussion or needling/baiting whilst trying to appear perfectly reasonable, and some is directly antagonistic or personal.

Might I suggest my thread about Simon was done like the first type, with the intent of gently poking fun and to deflect what was a direct personal attack into something more light hearted. People may disagree. By contrast my conversation with Mar in another thread and other things i’ve posted have been more like the second type. I’ve avoided the third type because it’s not my style.

I’ll talk about why I have done what i’ve done a little bit, perhaps it will help people open up?

The lighter side of trolling to me is just how my humour works, sarcastic. I try not to be purely nasty with it.

The middle ground is purposeful, I do it to make a point. That doesn’t make me any better than those i’m making a point about. In using the same tactics i’m as bad as they are and honestly apart from the occasional smirk it doesn’t make me feel very good about myself. I’m ok with that, i’m used to that so it doesn’t bother me. There’s lots to talk about with this second type I think but let’s come back to that in future.

The third type I won’t do, if you have to resort to personal attacks on someone else, especially sustained and continuous then you’re being a bully. On the other side of that, if you react to bullies in the way they behave then you’ve given them control of the conflict. This type of course is also sanctioned against in the rules. It was interesting that there appears to be a feeling the report system does not work, or was that simply a comment that some don’t people don’t care about being sanctioned?

Please everyone feel free to comment, can we set aside type 2 and 3 trolling for a little while to talk about it?

I would love to see this kind of commitment from the troll task force when real baiting and harassment is happening. Unfortunately, this has not been the case so far.

You are right, and that needs to change. You also mentioned recently to try and not take it too seriously either. I also agree with that too. There are other things to talk about and do here on forums. I can admit, the worst and most abusive trolls on this forum are not like that constantly. Even they can find other things to do here, and that might distract and create some confusion to what they are at their core. Not saying at all that is any sort of deception on their part by any means. As an example, I have seen documentaries about serial killers in prison, complete monsters at their core, but they have hobbies while incarcerated such as painting, writing poetry and religious community service. Bad people can not be bad all of the time.

I think you’ll find it’s ‘couldn’t care less’ :-)

Seriously I think the small community in 3dxChat makes in vulnerable to trolls. I suspect our trolls wouldn’t last five minutes in a bigger community, and not because of moderation. They’d bottle it and run for cover. That said there’s no reason why the 3dxChat community should tolerate trolling and bullying.

Doesn’t quite follow the thread, I know, but needs to be said.

I suspect our trolls wouldn’t last five minutes in a bigger community, and not because of moderation. 

If you mean bigger community as in out in society living life, where if they behaved this way and spoke this way they would be put in their place, yes. Why do you think they spend most of their time here and on the game in anonymity. That was explained in the OP's video and is also something I like to call common sense.

sorry if that wasnt what you were looking for, i could have went in depth with it but honestly, i have not had my coffee and the victim complex that some have here is a bit much for this early in the morning.

I appreciate the contribution, no requirements of content as long as it furthers the discussion which it mostly did, so thanks. Your perspective is interesting. Come back to it with coffee if you want to expand it.

My post was long winded enough i’ll let others comment a while before writing much more.

That’s level three trolling - making accusations.

What?? ROFL Level 3 Trolling im guessing is tha most severe, how is what he said severe? Some peeps do have victim mentalities here and he could have been talking about anyone. Some people have over inflated egos and sex drives and others are Dram Queens both Male and Female. Some peeps are over emotional and plain nasty and some peeps one ah met Yesterday will igg you when they cant have sex with you and gladly pm you and let you know before igging you. Tha game is full of fujjed in tha head peeps or am ah now Level 3 Trolling, besides that's just a tag anyways, "Troll" is just a word gets over used like "Racist" and unless there are real penalties enforced by tha Devs for "real abusive" behaviour yes abusive hateful peeps then this discussion will go on foever.

Ah consider Level3 abuse to be foul language at an individual to demean them, racist remarks, sexist remarks, spreading lies, bullying, stalking, rape rooms, animal abuse, and ah could go on but this is mah list and yours might be a lot different to include perhaps not agreeing with you, who knows ah only guess. Kisses and have a soopa fun time  :)

I would love to see this kind of commitment from the troll task force when real baiting and harassment is happening. Unfortunately, this has not been the case so far.

No task force but simply targeting one user is against the forum rules and that's exactly what has happened on this and other threads.  When it has happened before no matter who it was, I have said something as it's not right.

Back to the topic

You are right here, but the evdence suggests that he might be correct. He is allowed to get away with it. If he isn't being allowed then he is showing serious disrespect to Gizmo by flouting the rules and then saying he couldn't care less (there's something in me that insists I correct the grammar used) about reports and rules.

I'm not sure that it is right to focus on just the one person, the fundamental point being that if the community rules don't apply to everybody and they aren't applied consistently and transparently then there's not really any point in having them at all. The argument that this is just a game doesn't wash, we are customers we are entitled to a reasonable standard of service. Permitting bullying is not a reasonable standard of service, end of.

If you go take a look at 'The Moderating Team' link it's clear that Gizmo is running the show on his own and has been for some time. It's possible to read quite a lot in to that, and I'm not going to say it. I think people can draw their own conclusions.

You're doing exactly what you've been complaining about.

I’m interested in everyone’s thoughts on the subject matter. It’s not about specific questions although I have asked some along the way if you’d like to check back. Your choice if you want to pick up any of them to comment.

For you Rob, perhaps as you appear to want to identify as a Troll? or at least accept it readily when others label you as that. I’m not sure which it is honestly. It would be interesting to know what you consider trolling in the context of this community and what isn’t. It would also be interesting to know what you get out of it or why you do it? Is it for reasons like mine below?

I’ll use myself as an example to avoid appearing to bait or attack anyone else. This isn’t about singling out Rob, or anyone in fact, just hoping his question was genuine and we can open more discourse here.

Xandi made a very good point that there are levels, let’s start with that.

Some trolling is a little lighthearted and gently poking fun without being unpleasant. Some is in the middle ground and purposefully disruptive of discussion or needling/baiting whilst trying to appear perfectly reasonable, and some is directly antagonistic or personal.

Might I suggest my thread about Simon was done like the first type, with the intent of gently poking fun and to deflect what was a direct personal attack into something more light hearted. People may disagree. By contrast my conversation with Mar in another thread and other things i’ve posted have been more like the second type. I’ve avoided the third type because it’s not my style.

I’ll talk about why I have done what i’ve done a little bit, perhaps it will help people open up?

The lighter side of trolling to me is just how my humour works, sarcastic. I try not to be purely nasty with it.

The middle ground is purposeful, I do it to make a point. That doesn’t make me any better than those i’m making a point about. In using the same tactics i’m as bad as they are and honestly apart from the occasional smirk it doesn’t make me feel very good about myself. I’m ok with that, i’m used to that so it doesn’t bother me. There’s lots to talk about with this second type I think but let’s come back to that in future.

The third type I won’t do, if you have to resort to personal attacks on someone else, especially sustained and continuous then you’re being a bully. On the other side of that, if you react to bullies in the way they behave then you’ve given them control of the conflict. This type of course is also sanctioned against in the rules. It was interesting that there appears to be a feeling the report system does not work, or was that simply a comment that some don’t people don’t care about being sanctioned?

Please everyone feel free to comment, can we set aside type 2 and 3 trolling for a little while to talk about it?

You can clearly see the thoughts and how this thread has gone and yes it is singling out one person has for a while now which is doing exactly what they're complaining he's been doing in a masked form of harassment.

You are right, and that needs to change. You also mentioned recently to try and not take it too seriously either. I also agree with that too. There are other things to talk about and do here on forums. I can admit, the worst and most abusive trolls on this forum are not like that constantly. Even they can find other things to do here, and that might distract and create some confusion to what they are at their core. Not saying at all that is any sort of deception on their part by any means. As an example, I have seen documentaries about serial killers in prison, complete monsters at their core, but they have hobbies while incarcerated such as painting, writing poetry and religious community service. Bad people can not be bad all of the time.

Then lead by example and make the change to something better instead of continuing to go after one person and those considered followers.

I think you’ll find it’s ‘couldn’t care less’ :-)

Seriously I think the small community in 3dxChat makes in vulnerable to trolls. I suspect our trolls wouldn’t last five minutes in a bigger community, and not because of moderation. They’d bottle it and run for cover. That said there’s no reason why the 3dxChat community should tolerate trolling and bullying.

Doesn’t quite follow the thread, I know, but needs to be said.

You're doing exactly what you're complaining about.  I run forums, I'm a mod on several and part of many forums.  I have no issue with them and yes, when things get out of hand action is taken on the user(s).

That’s level three trolling - making accusations.

You're been doing the same exact thing.

If you mean bigger community as in out in society living life, where if they behaved this way and spoke this way they would be put in their place, yes. Why do you think they spend most of their time here and on the game in anonymity. That was explained in the OP's video and is also something I like to call common sense.

As I stated above, I'm on several larger forums and have no issues with them because they don't continue to target people as it is being done on here and no once you're banned on there you sure as hell can't get back on no matter how many times you change your IP address.  I am exactly like this in real, I speak up when I see things going wrong, I've never been put in my place, why because there is no reason to.  I'm not a keyboard warrior, don't need to be.  I don't spend most of my time on here, even if I'm logged in on the game, I'm doing countless other things as it's minimized mostly and forget I'm even logged in half the time.

By continuing what you're doing, you are no better than what you claim he's doing.  Making it a mission to continue to attack one person makes you no better than the person you're attacking.  Lead the change and move forward to make the forum a better place instead of keeping it going in this direction.  Look at everything on this thread, targeting of one person then a few others because of them stating it's against the rules to continue to do it and doing exactly the opposite of what you claim should actually be done to make the forums positive.  Instead of taking harassment of one user and a few others to every thread that is being created or being commented on.  At this point in time, I'd recommend that Gizmo put a hold on posting on the forum, give it a good clean up and then watch how things go once posting is back on.

Did Mar_Mohan actually read all my posts or just pick out the bits that fitted her world view? My point was that the rules should apply to all and be enforced consistently and transparently otherwise they aren’t worth having.

Specifically the rules here are applied inconsistently, without transparency resulting in the mess we have on the forums and in wc.

I’ll make no mention of an individual who appears to get away with bullying, personal attacks, homophobia, gender shaming amongst other things. It’s no surprising that a little stick is directed in that direction from time time. Like if you claim to be a king of the trolls thenit’s only reasonable to assume that somebody will call your bluff.

I think there’s a level four to trolling, and that is for the really nasty stuff above, particularly if it involves bullying.