3DXChat Community

Am I a Troll?

DarkFairy

What is a troll? Why do trolls troll? How can they be helped?

No point to make this time. I think I have made the points I wanted. Perhaps only to those who hear the notes unplayed. I think this is interesting anyway. It’s basic, food for thought or even discussion?

Don’t turn it into a war, ok?

I don't think this video said anything that most of us don't already know, all of us are crazy, that is not news, though I did have to agree a certain troll here would get his ass kicked if he tried to say some of the things he says to people in person instead of saying them hiding behind his computer anonymously, and maybe that is part of the thrill for him, knowing they can't do anything about it, and in the case of these forums, reporting does nothing either when it comes to him, I bet he gets a hard on from that, granted a very small hard on, but still an erection.

Edited by Sleeper_Girl

It was on topic.

Yet offered nothing to the discussion really honey. I’d like to hear everyone’s thoughts. If you’re answering my question with, “yes Vicki, you are” That’s fine, you can say that. Just please offer some commentary, let’s discuss it.

Here’s a great example of how people with opposing views can have an adult discourse

Apparently anybody can be a troll and many do - most trolling is done by people who have never previously trolled. A community defines what it classes as trolling. Trolling peaks monday (mood apparently). Once somebody has been trolled others pile on.

Corrected date from Sunday to Monday. Added comment about first time trolls.

Thanks AHT. Ok let’s explore that?

The first clip appears to think only proper moderation and enforced rules can control it. I’m interested in whether that’s true or whether a community can police itself.

From what i’ve seen here i’d say that’s not possible so does it require that authority dynamic?

Has this community defined what trolling is? As you say anyone can be a troll. My thread title was partly literal. I’m not going to report anyone for calling me one, my behaviour is entirely deliberate. Feel free to use me as an example to avoid mentioning anyone else and the ensuing flame wars.

nah, you arent a troll, just a master baiter.

Do you mean that as a literal contribution or a slightly puerile double entendre? Feel free to expand on it, as I said, from me at least, report free zone here. Just try not to be too insulting i’m still a person.

Pretty self explanitory but i like the good alt/bad alt thing you have going on. I would really like to dicuss this with you however due to family matters i dont have the time. Enjoy the search for the meaning of trolls and such.

That’s a shame your thoughts would have been interesting. I hope you’ll find time some time.

Everyone is always welcome to pm me or talk to me in game if you’re uncomfortable with discussing things here. I’m really not a complete bitch.

You can police yourself. Re-read what you write and wait before responding. One system created by Civil asks posters to review other peoples' comments for civility, before they are asked to review their own. Apparently many then edit their post. Alas we have no such system.

To an extent we are policed. Who dare post an opposing view to the group?

It’s usually a good idea to get the information first before commenting on it.

I think most of us have good idea of what behaviour we don’t want on the forums. Most of it is already covered by the rules, yeah. Anyway we’re all adults so we ought to be able to self moderate. I got the message that there is always somebody who’ll start it off and then a load of other people pile in. Let’s assume the initiator will set it going anyway, like it’s what they have to do. The onus falls on the followers not to join in.

If nobody joins in the initiator doesn’t get his,or her but probably his, payback. Even if somebody replies the initiator remains alone if his followers don’t join in.

I’m not sure i’ve been very clear there, sorry. I suppose i’m saying that the troll only gets power if he’s supported.

Thinking about 3dxChat, I think it’s pretty obvious which characters are alts and which aren’t, which should make it easier to isolate the initiator in any thread. Also thinking here, don’t react if you’re called JimBob, Billy, Simon or anything else that isn’t you. Bullies point their fingers and call people names over and over again. They do other thing to people over and over again. It’s not the thing itself that’s the problem particularly, it’s the constant repetition. Like it grinds you down. That is report time. Maybe from the reports Gizmo might realise what it is that pisses people off. Will he do anything, I haven’t a clue but I have a horrid feeling that he won’t until he starts to feel it in his pocket.

Yet offered nothing to the discussion really honey. I’d like to hear everyone’s thoughts. If you’re answering my question with, “yes Vicki, you are” That’s fine, you can say that. Just please offer some commentary, let’s discuss it.

Here’s a great example of how people with opposing views can have an adult discourse

My contribution is just as important as yours, and since this is the internet... well, neither really has much value. If you care to discuss this on a serious note then I'm down 100%, but the odds of this being an actual debate instead of a baited post in the attempt to stir up shit are pretty low. I will say though it's probably a 9 on the top 10 ways of baiting those for your own pleasure.

oh and one last thing, as far as the report free zone, i could care less about reports. so that wouldnt convince me to post or not post. who knows, maybe one day i will contribute to the thread in a meaningful way. until then i wish you luck

Sure, thank you. Welcome back anytime.

Also thinking here, don’t react if you’re called JimBob, Billy, Simon or anything else that isn’t you. Bullies point their fingers and call people names over and over again. They do other thing to people over and over again. 

If I read it correctly, I think earlier I was told that I was you. Having a hard time keeping all the different people I am supposed to be organized. But if I am you then this means I am talking to myself right now, which means I guess I have finally transcended to his majesty's level of chatting  trolling on forums.

You can police yourself. Re-read what you write and wait before responding. One system created by Civil asks posters to review other peoples' comments for civility, before they are asked to review their own. Apparently many then edit their post. Alas we have no such system.

To an extent we are policed. Who dare post an opposing view to the group?

I agree we can self police certainly. Perhaps people already do alter the tone and thrust of their posts based on what they perceive is acceptable to the community without really even realising it?

The point about being policed by opposition is interesting too as would surely create a distorted view of what’s acceptable. Voices of reason often being the quietest ones etc..?

Picking up on AHT’s post. Isn’t that why so few people stand up to the trolls here, because the trolls, and their alts, have made it appear they are the group. Most people here just poodle along and let it wash over them until something happens to grab their interest. So the trolls establish their own ethos and impose it on the community. A bit like many extreme political groups.

My contribution is just as important as yours, and since this is the internet... well, neither really has much value. If you care to discuss this on a serious note then I'm down 100%, but the odds of this being an actual debate instead of a baited post in the attempt to stir up shit are pretty low. I will say though it's probably a 9 on the top 10 ways of baiting those for your own pleasure.

Your contribution here is more important than mine, that’s after all, why I created the thread. What’s happened is that my behaviour recently has made everyone assume i’m still trolling. Everyone is guarded and wary of me perhaps?

I can’t control what people post, up to you all to police that yourselves. I would like a genuine discussion without flame but this thread will be what you all make it.

He thinks it is clever and amusing when really he just makes himself look a twat, imho. He doesn’t actually know who we are so he just makes accusations.

It was actually one of his disciples this time, he sends them out to do his dirty work when he is busy pretending he is not at the computer and doing something else.