3DXChat Community

Upcoming Updates Discussion

Gizmo

I'll make several points:

• It's an adult forum so I think a certain level of roguish behaviour is fine - I've certainly been entertained by some of it. Come on it's 3dxforum not MoneyAdvice or Photoshop Support.
  • The forum seems to operate perfectly fine and every so often the pressure builds and it goes insane - well no. Six people go insane. 99% of users operate perfectly fine and don't need moderation. 
  • I can see an argument for the ability (for somebody to remove posts) in technical help as it's helpful to remove incorrect answers.
  • Honestly, who doesn't love a DJ thread going insane as people blather on about copyright, licences and how you'll be paying part of your pay cheque for the next 30 years because you played "Youth Gone Wild".
  • I'd glady moderate here.
  • Some people need to kind of grow a skin and stop telling others how to behave -it's an adult forum.
  • We just need a silent moderator like before.
  • A lot of posters need to read what people actually write and not respond to what they wish they wrote. Pretty certain a lot of the prior weeks nonsense had some provocation.

The worst thing they could do is pick someone who is overly active on the forum making lots of post as moderator. That is an example of a person who needs to be moderated not a good moderator. Allowing people to moderate there own topics also has to be one of the silliest things I have ever heard, just made a blog in that case and save everyone the trouble. If they pick someone it should be someone who mostly just reads the forum, and isn't hugely active on it. There are people like that here who could do a reasonable job, they just need to find them. Anyone looking to be a moderator should also be discounted out of hand though I think.

This forum has always either been moderated the devs or players from the game given moderator rights, it has never had professional paid moderators who are not involved in the game in some way.

When the devs are doing the moderating things can go for days before addressed, and the way I feel is they should not have to spend to much time looking after this forum, their time should be spent working on new features for the game.

The forum has been a mess for a long time with pretty well every thread opened being trashed, and this was going on long before the latest moderator quit.

There were always posts that had broken the TOS being left, and not just posts that only minorly broke the rules.

Having a decent discussion was impossible, even in the threads the devs had started.

People couldn't even post "Merry Xmas everybody" without having people reply with things like "so what did you ask for from Santa, a real vagina".

Most posts got derailed when someone would reply to a poster trying to discredit the poster themselves to discourage others from listening to what they had to say.

Often that would happen without even making any effort to get involved in the topic.

The poster would then reply either trying to defend themselves or would attack back at the person by trying to discredit them.

Others then join in, the topic becomes irrelevant and the thread is turned to trash with post after post of mud slinging and schoolyard type slurs.

The forum is going well right at this moment, but it will only take one person to say the wrong thing and off it will go again.

It won't just stay in the thread it starts in, it will spread to every thread like it has always done.

No one will be able to start a new thread without it going in there and things will be back to the way it was.

And the way things are now is we will have to wait for Gzimo to come in and clean things up again.

The perfect solution to this is professional paid moderation but I think we all know that is very unlikely to happen.

Likely Gizmo will give another player or more moderation rights.

This has proven not to do the job, it came close once when we had 4 moderators where things were addressed fairly quickly, but was still far from perfect.

The biggest problem with moderators from inside the game is the pressure put on them.

It is time consuming with not much reward.

Although they themselves mostly have not taken advantage of the power given to them often their friends have.

Which also would put pressure on the moderator as they are then put in a position where to do the right thing by the forum they risk upsetting their friend.

Moderators from the player base seem to not last very long I think for these reasons.

If something different is not done we will end up with the forum going back to being a mess and people being reluctant to try discuss anything or open new threads.

If you think it won't I think you are being very naïve.

Gizmo has expressed he wants to try something new and can you blame him.

Ash has posted different options that are available in the forum software.

I think this discussion should be more about what we can try than if something needs to be done or not.

Allowing us to self moderate threads we start should reduce a lot of the work any moderator will need to do and require far less time to do their job.

But it needs to be set up properly to reduce the problems that people have mentioned may happen with self moderating.

We need to look at where the forum moderator would come into things and how much work would be required to do so.

We need to look at ways to prevent people from using their self moderation incorrectly.

Ash has said it is all just settings that need to be applied to switch things on or off.

He suggested that self moderation rights can be taken away individually if people use them incorrectly.

He also suggested that self moderating maybe should be given after members qualify by reaching a certain level in these forums, I think to prevent players making alt accounts and doing the wrong thing.

With all of this I think we need to remember there will still be forum moderating.

Reports can still be submitted where members have broken the TOS.

So I feel a lot of problems people have said may happen with self moderating will still be addressed with reports.

It has been suggested that if members abuse their self moderating privileges then it is taken away from them either temporarily or permanently.

I think if people know they can lose those rights they will be careful with what they post and how they use the moderating of their own threads.

If they don't, it will just be a matter of reporting them and they will soon lose those rights.

I do not think that people will go nuts deleting posts just because they do not agree with what has been said.

I think most people are open for good discussion on subjects and want to hear any arguments against proposals.

There will be people that will abuse it yes, but if things are done correctly they will be dealt with.

A lot of the concerns about this are where people are saying someone gets named in a thread where a response is really needed, that when they respond people will just delete the response.

Mostly where this has happened in these forums people have been named for supposably doing the wrong thing.

What I think what we all have to remember is that naming people in this manner goes against the TOS and is reportable.

So if this does happen then the person doing this in their self moderated thread stands to lose the moderating rights.

Yes it may not work, the trolls may find ways around it, but what alternative is there, leave things the way they are ?

We can all speculate as to what will happen if these features are added to the forum, but none of us really know.

The big thing is it seems to be simple to set up and turn back off again.

So we can give it a try and see how it goes and if it doesn't do the job can easily be set back to how it was.

If it works it should greatly reduce the amount of time and work the forum moderator needs to do.

My opinion is it will at least stop the pages of fights that has been going on in very much every thread opened and that alone makes giving it a try well worth while.

Hopefully it would also make it so people are not feeling so reluctant to get involved in the forums and start new threads.

So lets have a go at working out how this should be set up and give it a try.

I want to start this post by saying that in an ideal world proper independant and professional moderation is the optimum. Gizmo has decided he doesn't want to have to pay for this because, I assume, it is too expensive. I gather that until now he has relied on people from the game, with all the problems associated with that. Then, more recently, he has given up on any moderation whatsoever other than that he can do himself.

I'm going to post this to the other thread as well, the two seem to be running in parallel. My apologies if anybody sees this as an inconvenience.

I'll quote part of the most commonly quoted rule, 2.02. This provides a good starting point for discussing any behaviour.

"The idea behind this is to prevent any player from consistently being uncomfortable on the forums."

If any behaviour causes anybody to feel uncomfortable on the forums then it is breaking this rule. Particularly so if it is intentional.

The abuse of women, gays, trans or any minority is not aceptable under any circumstances and breaks this rule. Neither is it funny to abuse women, gays, trans or any minority. I don't think anybody can disagree with that. Both examples break this rule because it makes women, gays, trans or any minorities abused feel uncomfortable about using the forums.

The behaviour we have seen recently can only be classed as abuse, in any case posts promoting violence against women, insults, lies etc all break this rule by making people feel uncomfortable about using the forums.

This thread, and the related section of the other thread, is about what can be done to reduce this rule breaking in the absence of any moderation. The proposal is that thread openers should be able to moderate their own threads. This could work, this has been gone in to and has been shown to be a solution Gizmo favours, is a pratcial proposition in terms of the software and is workable in terms of the level of responsibility on the thread opener. The vast majority of thread openers will take their responsibility sensibly, in my opinion.

The suggestion will not affect people who participate in discussions sensibly, their post will stay in the thread, be read, mulled over and replied to. It won't affect people who inject a little humour in to what could be rather dry topics. Who doesn't like a bit of humour, providing it doesn't break the rules or derail the thread. The only people it will affect adversly are the trolls/bullies whose posts will be deleted as soon as the thread opener logs on again. The only places remaining for trolling and bullying will be those opened by trolls for trolling, or those people who tolerate them. If things get out of hand then, judging by recent experience, Gizmo will act as effectively as he sees fit once he has been informed.

All in all what's not to like, given that professional moderation is probably not going to happen.

I recognise much of this is repeating points already made. I don't see any harm in this as, to my eye, the discussion has started to drift away from the fundamental issues.

http://3dxforum.com/index.php?/topic/8477-forum-moderators-moderation/

It would be nice to keep this topic of discussion in one place so that it's easier for the Devs to read and get feedback without having to search all over the threads.  The link is for a thread about Forum Moderators and Moderation, above was started by a user to keep it in one easy location.

Fair enough, it is easier if the topic is brought into the one thread. The topic has cropped up several times in this thread, namely that addressing forum and WC issues should have a higher priority than other updates on the grounds that it would help increase the user base more. It does mean that some people will have make their posts in the new thread. That has arguments for and against, but some people might decide they can’t be bothered to post again so their input could become lost.

Can we get back to talking about updates we want to see?

I'd like better in game doors too. And of course, the usual clothing updates, better stuff for the boys, etc.

Hey, has it ever been brought up being able to slap someone, or punch, kick, knock another down, etc?  Probably some complex work there but could be fun to have a good old fashioned bar fight.  :)

Would be nice to have a option to do a links to other profiles in your profile. Like with our spouses.

For example:

My best friend: Username1 - and it's clickable.

My Mistress: Username2 - and it's clickable too. 

Only if it requires the target users' consent. I don't want random people linking to my profile.

I would love to see SexGameDevil introduce splines in the World Editor.

Edit: For those who don't know what a "Spline" is, it is a type of object in Game Editors and Level Editors, that allows you to easily create/bend Roads, Rivers, Pathways etc. It's pretty nice tech and would be great to have in this game, as I have often seen myself spending quite a bit of time trying to get the perfect corner bend on a pathway. It dynamically bends the spline based on where your mouse click points are set and can be easily adjusted.

A long time ago I suggested that we have an emote for using on people who were really pissing someone off and would not take a hint (continuous colds on the same person etc), it was punch them in the face a couple of times, they fall to the ground and lie in a pool of expanding blood, you kick them in the guts then walk away, they also were unable to get back up for a couple of minutes and just had to lie there. I proposed it as a joke because it would be misused against people who had done nothing, but I'm sure some people who are sick of being colded when it clearly says no colds in their profile would love the option.

How about you go play some GTA for this? I mean punching people in the face, making them bleed... It's not like I am against violence in games in general but here? Punching? Bleeding? How about no? And I don't care if they deserve it or not - just no, this kind of scenes can ruin the mood for so many people. And btw, if some people really have desire to  to make some blood just because they are irritated by some jerk spamming invites - maybe it's better to visit a therapist? And no, I am not defending idiots who spam colds here. And I would even eagerly agree for some slap action for 2 and more invites in a row, but surely not punching and bleeding. We still able to block them. 

I would have to agree with some here.

There are many very good things about 3DX and some glaring problems that will NEVER attract the talented here. Choices made by Devs for the ideas they put in game are top notch imo in many respects. Graphics are great - but it goes downhill after that. The animations have certainly gone downhill if you compare recent to older ones. No need to go over that laundry list.

After a few years here and coming from older world that seems a HUGE bore anymore compared to this - 3DX is lucky to crack a couple hundred on at once.  Seriously?? a couple hundred? That's it?  After  5 years live and a fantastic WE update that saved it from quicker decline - what is the future?

There are those who say 'it's a sex game' and their argument is it remain unchanged mostly. How long can you jack off to to short  cartoon loops that are good - but not great? Recent being ridiculously to fast.  Mo-CAP being the logical next step.   Meanwhile, the older worlds still have a 800 - THOUSANDS on per hour.and continue too. why - their populations are declining as they remain largely unchanged. Is that really a logical arguement to make? Of course not.   The Older worlds user bases (although declining as they are getting tired also) are decreasing - but 3DX  isn't increasing and the logical question should be "why?"

We may all have different ideas what needs done, what would be 'best'  but I think we can all agree that the current status quo will only lead to things as they are at best.

what we need is a fun fast low graphic fighting feature for the saloon. Like in a western, a ten pace draw, only no guns (would use a tank anyways), but dildos. That's right we launch dildos at one another. Mainly that is what is going on right here, instead of discussing the upcoming items and putting in new ones like (AFROS, TAILS and CAPES((SUPERMAN)), we are fight on how we should behave and others should behave too. Police one's self. If a person posts a lie as many have using me, just tell the truth eventually a lie will crumble, but with many of the guys that have no control, just leaving them alone was enough..

I guess many people want to be trolls, some want to be white knights, me i chose to be me, neither good nor bad, here to have fun with an amazing woman I met (wife) and people I am honored to call friends as for the rest, could care less, because they have nothing to do with me and I am fine with that. I will always not attack nor refrain from telling the truth, that I want capes and tails.

I would have to agree with some here.

There are many very good things about 3DX and some glaring problems that will NEVER attract the talented here. Choices made by Devs for the ideas they put in game are top notch imo in many respects. Graphics are great - but it goes downhill after that. The animations have certainly gone downhill if you compare recent to older ones. No need to go over that laundry list.

After a few years here and coming from older world that seems a HUGE bore anymore compared to this - 3DX is lucky to crack a couple hundred on at once.  Seriously?? a couple hundred? That's it?  After  5 years live and a fantastic WE update that saved it from quicker decline - what is the future?

There are those who say 'it's a sex game' and their argument is it remain unchanged mostly. How long can you jack off to to short  cartoon loops that are good - but not great? Recent being ridiculously to fast.  Mo-CAP being the logical next step.   Meanwhile, the older worlds still have a 800 - THOUSANDS on per hour.and continue too. why - their populations are declining as they remain largely unchanged. Is that really a logical arguement to make? Of course not.   The Older worlds user bases (although declining as they are getting tired also) are decreasing - but 3DX  isn't increasing and the logical question should be "why?"

We may all have different ideas what needs done, what would be 'best'  but I think we can all agree that the current status quo will only lead to things as they are at best.

Read the bottom of the forum :

3DX Chat - Multiplayer Onlien 3D Sex game. Now you can argue that is more than this but it's only your point of view not the one of the dev.

Does the population decline? No. There are more peoples in the game than when I first signed .

Development: when you compare 1 and 2 and 2.6 you can see the many improvement.

For the older world you mentioned:

Second life is not a sex game but a social game with sex aspect 

Red Light Center is a big compagny where everything cost a lot

AChat is under 3DX and all cost a lot

Yareel; all cost a lot as many position cost strawberries and you will never earn enough strawberries to buy them.

Thrixx: clothes, position, censure cost a lot or you have to buy the full membership ( around the price of 3Dx) but with lower quality except for avatar.

Meet and fuck...well I was beta tester their and it may cost a lot.

When I left Thrixx to come here, I have liked the concept you pay for the whole game, then u will never have to spend more money. now some want a micro economy: what for? Will it bring anything to the game ? I don't think so. 

I wonder if we are just stuck in a fairly fixed sub amount of people and therefore not enough income to grow the game with more frequent updates?  I'm sure this has come up before but maybe a different revenue avenue - Kickstarter or Patreon or something to give a jump start to getting what we all want?  I will say that I just joined a few months ago and I enjoy the game, most of the people and so on.  But, if the game does not change much after my year sub is up I probably won't renew.

Meanwhile - about that puppy?  ;)

Looks ,like a pretty good mix of changes coming this time too i think it is great too see them again myself hasn't been that long since last patch. Agree with you Xizl takes times but seems like they have been coming alot faster then they ever did in the past and with alot more updates in one time too. Makes me happy hearing there is more for all it looks like too.