3DXChat Community

Upcoming Updates Discussion

Gizmo

4 hours ago, Aliviax said:

ofc its normal mesh ..tho the one u posted isnt the dress we talk about and its far from finished

I just took the first one I noticed to give an example. I still don`t  understand your low poly/high poly model baking.

ps: got it

Edited by ☙𝔼𝕩❧

1 hour ago, Aliviax said:

Devs are devs they can impement anything they want :) Lets not forget im on my 1st year in 3D design/animation school and devs have wayyy more experience :) 

So in my only one year my knowlage is more limited vs DEvs :) that do this job manyyyyyy years but ill get there its a matter of time :) 

my 1st year in school is mostly theory and less real practical stuff second year will be not so boring hehe with more practical stuff to do and less theory ..you know how schools are lol ...slowwwww

Personally I don't understand the requirement for baked in folds.  It limits what can be done with the mesh imo.

In Curio much of the basic clothing and dress meshes had no baked in folds by the Devs. We used .Bmp maps to fake folds and textures and a variety of other maps.  If folds are baked into something like a tshirt for simple analogy, it would look stupid if you made parts transparent, or just textured portions to make say half shirts with tranparency instead of having to make a whole new half shirt mesh.

Edited by THX

19 minutes ago, THX said:

Personally I don't understand the requirement for baked in folds.  It limits what can be done with the mesh imo.

In Curio much of the basic clothing and dress meshes had no baked in folds by the Devs. We used .Bmp maps to fake folds and textures and a variety of other maps.  If folds are baked into something like a tshirt for simple analogy, it would look stupid if you made parts transparent, or just textured portions to make say half shirts with tranparency instead of having to make a whole new half shirt mesh.

wait.. bake is a tecnique used for Games for better render times ..think about it you can have a low polly look like a high polly ...now abou the folds u sculpt the fold on the high polly and then bake the normal map on the low polly so low polly get those folds and the overall smoothness of the high polly 

2 hours ago, Aliviax said:

wait.. bake is a tecnique used for Games for better render times ..think about it you can have a low polly look like a high polly ...now abou the folds u sculpt the fold on the high polly and then bake the normal map on the low polly so low polly get those folds and the overall smoothness of the high polly 

Not according to the Devs I have spoken with who worked on the Curio project, but I personally don't know. the less details you bake, the faster it renders.

From what I've been told by several professionals (one of who worked for EA) .bmp is a better technique for faster renders as they are faked and not baked and have more versatility. Details are better faked than baked.  I personally am not that knowledgeable about which way is the best, but what i do know is there is greater versatility with .bmp at least 6 years ago.  If I was texturing your dress mesh, I'd prefer to put folds in if needed as I see fit for whatever design I was making. I realize there are clothing meshes which will folds and such baked in, just not all of them do.

1,3, 5, 6 are perfect examples of how the meshes were in curio. 2, looks like it just came out of the Dryer wrinkled imo but I think the wrinkles look good - just to many. you could fake them with BMP's on mesh 1 easier.

With 4, as it is, I'd put a transparency and maybe a mesh like texture to make the sides of the segs show through a bit. Maybe triangle cut outs. Mu point being, with

4 being plain. there is a lot of texture variations that could be used with transparency for variations. With 1 someone may wanna put a transparent panel down the front - but if they did that with 2 the baked in wrinkles would make it look poor for that alternative.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png

Edited by THX

4 minutes ago, THX said:

Not according to the Devs I have spoken with who worked on the Curio project, but I personally don't know.

However, from what I've been told by several professionals (one of who worked for EA) .bmp is a better technique for faster renders as they are faked and not baked and have more versatility.  I personally am not that knowledgeable about which way is the best, but what i do know is there is greater versatility with .bmp at least 6 years ago.  If I was texturing your dress mesh, I'd prefer to put folds in if needed as I see fit for whatever design I was making. I realize there are clothing meshes which will folds and such baked in, just not all of them do.

If the Curio clothing editor was part of 3DX.... damn people would have fun texturing whatever meshes were provided.

Bake doesnt apply only for folds you can bake normal maps (normal map contain for example the folds u have sculpted in a cloth ) also you can bake abient ,diffuse maps dispacement maps to put it simply its like you take all the best stuff you have made into a high polly cloth to a low polly ..whats the benefit ? make the low polly look like the high polly :) that simple 

why you do that ? well example to sculpt proper folds in a mesh u need good geometry meaning a high polly mesh so u can sculpt the details ,...baking is take those details u did in the high polly and pass them on the low polly :) and the benefit is instead have a mesh of 2 million polugons in ur game you have a mesh with 7k polygons that looks awesome   meaning free render .

Yes would be cool if game had a cloth editor :) 

here some youtube videos on baking so you understand what baking do and what stuff you can bake :) 

I do understand a bit. What I think you are misunderstanding, is that you can have a normal map that is plain, but you can add separate maps like bump, Diffuse,Specular, Displacement, etc. In the Curio editor, you could apply up to 5 maps to a normal map.

O.o.... Here is a better one. I forgot I had this... A Tshirt I was texturing. You can see more of the clothing editor on the right. I must have been starting on adding folds with a bmp map as you can see I had uploaded it and was starting to apply it.

Vb8R7JB.png?1

Here is when I was learning something to do with glow. LOL (I can't remember anymore) But my point is, the mesh was as plain as your dress one basically. (pretty kewl glow effect eh?)

*Now I remember why I took this. This was cause of clipping on the shoulders I sent to Devs when they Updated for Unity 4 to 5 and the meshes got fucked up.

IihjV7P.jpg

Last but not least...

Might as well explain the process since it looks like I have most of it, and it would be great to have something like this in 3DX. 

You would pick (or buy) a mesh from an inventory in game in the clothing editor.

4mibWCO.png

Then you would texture the UV map  in something like Photoshop and upload it the appropriate mesh.

qJiRihg.png

Then add any other maps you wanted to in the clothing editor. You could apply it and look at it for fuck up in world, and go back into the editor and adjust as many times as you wanted till you were ready to save it as finished.

lT9ouzx.png

Edited by THX

4 hours ago, ☙𝔼𝕩❧ said:

Too much negativity. Some stuff they do themselves. There is no sense to waste a week to make a pose which you can buy.  It's worth it.

yes they do. like the pose editor. is it coming?

40 minutes ago, Tsela said:

yes they do. like the pose editor. is it coming?

I don't know. Years ago, I wasn't sure if they could add a color palette and that they could get to unity 5. They did it. The progress is slow because they are a small development team, but they are active today.

Edited by ☙𝔼𝕩❧