3DXChat Community

World Builder Light Tool

JenC

Ive been busy building more things... A lot more things  :P  and while I appreciate and love the lighting tool we got in 371, I would love a new one as well.

Theres a couple of reasons, firstly is the bleed I think they call it, when a light source comes through a solid object, this has a nasty effect of throwing light where you dont want it to be, and to sort of counter it, you can use smaller lighting, but more of them which causes lag, but this doesnt work most of the time.

The second problem is related to the first, and thats having light where you dont want it. Now ive included a pic of a quick test room I made to show what I mean. The light cube throws out 6 beams of light, so if you want a single source of light, this is near impossible to do in most situations, and makes it very hard to create some lovely mood and atmosphere.

A request of the gods of 3DXChat, could we have a second light tool that only has a single light source that we can aim? or if its not possible to make it aimable(is that even a word), multiple tools that face different directions?

This would take some builds to the next level in atmosphere, being able to control where the light is coming from.

post-14658-0-43205900-1534560960_thumb.jpg

Regarding the light going through solid objects, I've had all sorts of issues with this too.

Actually, this was also at least partially true of lighting the old room editor, especially near interior corners, where you could create some very nice ambient lighting by placing lamps inside walls near corners.  

But, yes, it would make more sense if opacity and reflectivity were based on the type of material, with some ability to adjust, of course. 

Theres plenty of examples I could post  :P  Just tonight I was placing downlights in my restaurant and while the ones in the center of the room were good, as I went towards the walls(any closer than around 2 meters), the bleeding started as it catches the edge of the wall, like in that elevator shot above, and it looked silly.

A single beam would fix most of these problems.

To fix what you all mention, that would require devs to enable shadows on lights (easily possible in Unity) but then everything would be laggy as hell for complex rooms (the more objects, the more shadows calculated and so the more lag)...

Could be a nice feature however to let builders enable shadow per light (with disabled shadow by default as it is currently).

It would be up to builder then to optimize its own room.

To fix what you all mention, that would require devs to enable shadows on lights (easily possible in Unity) but then everything would be laggy as hell for complex rooms (the more objects, the more shadows calculated and so the more lag)...

Could be a nice feature however to let builders enable shadow per light (with disabled shadow by default as it is currently).

It would be up to builder then to optimize its own room.

As Ica mentioned above, the spotlight on the tripod stand is a single source, but because of that prop attached to it and the limited power and colour, it not an option to use in a lot of builds, hence why I made this plea to the makers, if they could give us the single source as an invisible tool that works just like the one we got in 371, eg, being able to colour it, change the intensity.

• 1 year later...