3DXChat Community

The Merge Button?

SugarPie

This might have been asked and answered already. If so I am sorry to repeat. I am having trouble in the world editor with the merge from file button. When I try to bring a prop into my room it won't. I can do the Load from File thing with no trouble but not the merge. Is this happening to everyone?

I had the same issue at first and then i figured that, like ExHaran said, as the merged objects are created at the position you saved them, it can be pretty hard to find.

I found two ways to deal with it :

- zooming out a lot, then select everything with the mouse, and most of the time you will find a little green selected object in the corner of the map,

- when saving an object you want to merge later, put a cylinder with an huge height on your object and for exemple put some red light emitting material. That way when you will merge it, search for the cylinder then delete it once it have helped you finding your object.

Enjoy ;)

here is what i do, first save the room before merging, use the trasformer to find the location where you want to put the item. load the item you want to merge use the transformer to move the spawn area near the location where you want your item to go, group the item together and move your item near the spawn area then save. 

Now load the room, click on merge and the item, and place it where you wanted it. If you grouped the item clicking on it will hold all the pieces in place as long as you have the rotation on center and not pivot.

Go in the room where the object is you want to select and save. Zoom close to it. Save it (has to be more than one object!!!!!!!!!!!) Open the room you want to merge. The cam is at the same point. Press merge and you will see it directly  ;)

• 1 year later...

Ok, so assuming the spawn spots in both rooms are in the same place, load your first room, then merge the second room into it and the object you want to incorporate in your room should be on the spawn spot. 

Make sure the object - especially if it's made of small pieces - is grouped before you merge it so it's easy to move.

Hope that helps  :)