3DXChat Community

SERVER DOWN

Gizmo

I guess these things happen and can't be prevented. So nice to at have some communications from gizmo this time (compared to the outage from about 16 months ago which lasted for 6 days without so much as a word on the forums).

Since that last major outage, despite some bugginess and a lack of major enhancements (as promised), the devs have been going a pretty good job with regular updates and much better communications to players (in the forums and Discord).Β 

Keep up the good work ... and everyone be patient.

Β 

Β 

1 hour ago, Andaislu said:

Still down? Oh well plenty of threads in the forum to be active :PΒ Yay to more users joining the forums too πŸ’–

Call it a chance to make friends one for once everything's up again.

2 hours ago, Rebekkah said:

Thank goodness they let us know! They should sent a blast email to the members when the server is down.

While it's probably possible on the e-mail service end (they don't seem to host their own server there), they'd have to have access to the server containing the profiles first, which may or may not be possible.

20 hours ago, vladok said:

gizmo, is useless to wait for the end of the attack
it is usually ordered for a minimum of 3-7Β days
the company cannot bear such reputational losses)

I am confused now. Why have not Cloudup or 3DX site manager blocked the attack? I was surprised to see I still could not get in to 3DX tonight. This should not go on for 3 to 7 days, uh?

2 minutes ago, Cassey said:

I am confused now. Why have not Cloudup or 3DX site manager blocked the attack? I was surprised to see I still could not get in to 3DX tonight. This should not go on for 3 to 7 days, uh?

Cloudflare has tried, at least for the website. If the game server doesn't use HTTP(s), however, they'd have to stop running or giving access to the server altogether, because I don't think (as far as I recall)Β they manage non-http services the same way.

3DX is mostly powerless as this is an attack on their bandwidth, not their servers (except as far as the resources to manage their connections is concerned.) IP Bans at least require some sort of connection attempt. If there is no ability to receive the connection at all, then it's impossible to block -- or do anything productive.

19 minutes ago, redheadrider said:

Cloudflare has tried, at least for the website. If the game server doesn't use HTTP(s), however, they'd have to stop running or giving access to the server altogether, because I don't think (as far as I recall)Β they manage non-http services the same way.

3DX is mostly powerless as this is an attack on their bandwidth, not their servers (except as far as the resources to manage their connections is concerned.) IP Bans at least require some sort of connection attempt. If there is no ability to receive the connection at all, then it's impossible to block -- or do anything productive.

Thank you redheadrider, I am still surprised Cloudflare whom claim to be one of the best cannot stop the attack like most other businesses do. Purchased services maybe...

Edited by Cassey

On 5/15/2020 at 5:40 PM, jadekhali said:

If you want XGold Transfers between members I suggest you hang out at Achat with all the child molesters over there who will gladly give you gold so you can buy a new dressΒ  as long as you pretend to be 12 years old and shrink your tits......try not to get too many nightmares thinking about their real life kids.......

must be hard jade ignoring every name that cant stand you.full time job u troll

On 5/16/2020 at 4:57 AM, Gypsy said:

@CaptainAmerica: May I suggest to stop talking about topic that you seem not to fully understand? Sorry to say this, but you don't seem to have the right technical skills and experienceΒ  on how to prevent DDoS attacks and how to set up your infrastructure. There are ways to protect that would required to nearly bring the whole internet down before your servers get affected.

And in case you would now want to tell me that also other larger companies get affected, this is obviously true. But just out of experience, there is only a very few number of companies that really do their protection of the core systems correctly (in addition: one single small failure would make all your efforts obsolete.

On the other side, I know that this is a relatively theoretical discussion as and here I agree with most here, the ones that run this game have likely not the money for such protection mechanisms nor would it be their core business to have these.Β 

I don't know what is your background or what experience you have (you also don't know mine). Unless you have your own AS number, run BGP and have a few multi-path links you don't have full control of how to mitigate a decent DDoS attack. If you just rent a few dedicated servers or VPS just like 3dxchat is doing, there are not many things you can do. You just take what kind of internet connectivity the datacenter gives you and in case you are under attack you are just in contact with them so that they can solve the issue. I can assure you that a majority of big datacenters don't have DDoS protection at all. It is critical that they route all their traffic through some service like Cloudflare (like they do now) in order for your real backend IP to not be known to the attacker. I'm 100% positive that the attack is happening directly on the backend because if they were attacking Cloudflare there would be no issue. Using some decompiler on the client or even easier, using a packet sniffer you can easily get the backend's IP since this is exactly where all the clients connect to for authentication and real-time chat and actions.

You say that I don't know what I'm talking about, but you are saying unrealistic things. I am always speaking with the current situation in mind. I could say that if you're under attack, just do a BGP peering with Google and announce your AS number over that link since they obviously have the capacity to mitigate the attack. Or just move your entire server to a datacenter that colocates some huge ISP and do a local peering with them lol but these are not a realistic scenarios.

Since their real backend's IP is exposed, there is not much they can do right now. They just chat back and forth with their datacenter's network team and hope that they know what they're doing. Of course if everything was going through Cloudflare (paid not the free one), we would be having a totally different conversation right now.

Also, imagine being in a sex game's forum and trying to show who is the biggest tech nerd lol

XO