3DXChat Community

SERVER DOWN

Gizmo

I-I've made a thread for the spam during this harsh times. Feel free to jump in. :'(

@Xizl 😳I'm counting on you. I won't manage it all alone.

@xAGONYx don't write it, I will get banned for this ! My apologies I wouldn't offend you at all, assuming how crude people are in game, I've thought this easy joke wouldn't hurt.  😨

Everyone here suddenly became an expert on DDoS attacks and how to stop them.

"You should have done this and that" (yeah i'm sure you're friends with Captain Hindsight from south park)

"Everyone knows you can recover from DDoS in 2-5 hours" (your $10 radio station with 20 people listening has nothing in common with this scenario)

"devs are lazy" (show us the way and do what they do but do it better just to show us)

"Cloudflare does not protect against DDoS, they only give you infrastructure" (Cloudflare does exactly that. Protects from DDoS attacks because they have huge amounts of bandwidth. And this is exactly the reason why their main page 3dxchat.com is still partially working. Game protocol however does not necessarily go through Cloudflare to avoid caching which is bad for real-time protocols)

"You can stop DDoS attacks by installing special server software to ban IPs" (your wordpress brute-force password login attacks have nothing to do with real DDoS attacks lol I guarantee you that if you had the specific attack on your server, it would go 100% cpu just from firewall trying to block all this traffic and eventually your server crashes. DDoS attacks are never being stopped at the server side. It is stopped with the help of infrastructure meaning routers and layer3 switches)

"An error 522 is easy to fix" (522 error means that Cloudflare cannot contact the server in order to serve the requested page. It can mean a number of things and depending on what is happening, can be easy to fix or can be super difficult to fix. In the case that some of the game requests are being done directly into the server (and not through Cloudflare) to avoid caching, I'd like to see you try to do an easy fix on this)

You simply can't recover that easily during an active DDoS attack. This is a battle of who has the most bandwidth. You? Or the attacker? There is nothing you can do if the attack is of higher bandwidth than what your provider has. Even ISP grade routers just die when facing let's say a 10 Gbit attack with a million packets /sec. When stuff like this happens, all you do is contact your isp (and then they contact their isp and so on) to start dropping packets and blocking connections and in an extreme scenario they can even disable your server's port on the switch (like unplugging the ethernet) until the attack stops because this actually does harm to the rest of the clients in the same datacenter.

So please don't play the know-it-all card and don't be a jerk. Just let them do their job. I'm sure they're doing the best they can.

Β 

33 minutes ago, CaptainAmerica said:

So please don't play the know-it-all card and don't be a jerk. Just let them do their job. I'm sure they're doing the best they can.

First of all, I love that you referenced Captain Hindsight, South Park is my favorite.

Second, you're absolutely right. You will come to find that people really like to complain and be jerks here, no matter what the devs do. And while it's true that they probably should've thought of taking preventative measures in anticipation of this type of scenario, they are a very very tiny dev team, so we have to try to just be patient with them.

clearly yer a lil dereft of on how cloudflare works.. first its site based not client based.. it only works on the initial handshake and if it did (as you say) protect against ddos then why did 3dx fall? hmmm?

yer correct about 522Β  in terms of it only addressing the 'reason' but the fix is the same regardless of the client and clearly the attack is over and yer argument about band width thus negated because you're correct about the redirect now being fully functional

Just now, Maxi said:

The fact is there's nothing for us to do but wait. Might as well keep a positive attitude as we do: complaints solve nothing and armchair quarterbacking isn't going to make anything come back faster.

yeah if 'Captain America' read all of the posts instead of being eager to find something to rebuke he'd have seen most all of the posts have been optomistic and positive

Β 

10 minutes ago, xAGONYx said:

lol its actually a legit radio server with typically 600 people listenin at any given moment but even that isnt many for www but I appreciate yer jealousy and feeble attempt at trolling lol

Obviously I did some exaggeration there since I have no way of actually knowing what this radio server is all about. But the main fact remains. 600 stable connections are completely different of a DDoS attack which can be consisted of connections in the count of hundreds of thousands per second.

6 minutes ago, xAGONYx said:

clearly yer a lil dereft of on how cloudflare works.. first its site based not client based.. it only works on the initial handshake and if it did (as you say) protect against ddos then why did 3dx fall? hmmm?

yer correct about 522Β  in terms of it only addressing the 'reason' but the fix is the same regardless of the client and clearly the attack is over and yer argument about band width thus negated because you're correct about the redirect now being fully functional

1) Have a look at Cloudflare's homepage lol They clearly state they protect from DDoS. It's not just a CDN, it also provides DDoS protection and you must accept it this

2) 3dxchat.com is working partially as I stated in my original post. Meaning that you are only seeing "cache" and nothing dynamically created on the server side. I dare you to try to login the "members" area. If the attacker is smart, he would attack directly on their backend's IP at the port where their nodejs service is listening to. This is where the real-time part of the game resides. I believe you can understand that if the backend is down due to attack, cloudflare cannot contact it.

3) Every cache object has TTL (time to live) which means that if you could see the main page 10 minutes ago and now you can't, it's simply because cache object is expired and now Cloudflare requests newly fetched object to cache. If at some point after the page was not working, you see it working, it obviously means that the server sometimes responds and sometimes it doesn't. Typical DDoS attack behavior which is not very easy to mitigate.

But I also appreciate your time to come here and comment despite the fact that I didn't mention any names :) It means you feel offended and that the butt-hurt is real :) Don't be a jerk, let them do their job.

My point was simple CaptainAmerica it isnt a sustained attack or even the forums wouldn't be up.. My point was simply that I am optimistic that they are swapping hosts/increasing capacity (not likeley but here's to hoping) or otherwise addressing the issue rather than simply recovering from the attack which clearly they have had enough time for.. the fact that there's been NO update since 2:48 am PST is the only thing that I might otherwise complain about.. I'm speculative but optimistic and have no cause to argue you or anyone else's points on the matter.. just here for the blue posts and to answer what few questions I can.. breathe

@xAGONYx All I'm saying is that i'm 99.99% certain that it is out of their hands. They just keep exchanging emails with the datacenter hosting the server. In some (rare) cases downtime of 24h is a real thing depending on how big the attack is. I guess we'll have to wait and see. The forums are on different backend server than the 3dxchat.com. Obviously the attacker wanted to save some $ and attacked only one of those.

2 minutes ago, Andaislu said:

Yikes all this tension still going off in this thread? I know you all need as much as fucking as me, can't wait for when the game opens again :P

Only a few people here seem 'tense'

1 minute ago, CaptainAmerica said:

@xAGONYx All I'm saying is that i'm 99.99% certain that it is out of their hands. They just keep exchanging emails with the datacenter hosting the server. In some (rare) cases downtime of 24h is a real thing depending on how big the attack is. I guess we'll have to wait and see. The forums are on different backend server than the 3dxchat.com. Obviously the attacker wanted to save some $ and attacked only one of those.

true enough but initially the forums were kaput as well.. werent back up for like.. 4 hours maybe? wasn't really paying attention at first had other stuff needed done. At any rate, we all know what and why.. just be nice if we had a sense of when.. their twitter still doesn't even mention being down much less any mention of what to expect so I turned here looking for blue posts.. otherwise I have no real need of the forum.. only 10% of the users even know it exists lol