3DXChat Community

SERVER DOWN

Gizmo

25 minutes ago, macattack said:

last time server was down---down--took a week--I'm  not holding my breath for a quick return

That time the devs were not at home and they didn't even know that the server is down.

And it was somewhere from mid week until weekend. Monday somebody checked it finally, after people raged here some pages worth 

27 minutes ago, Tracer said:

Thanks for the infos and replies that I could understand.

OK -is this right then?

Somebody is spamming the server and stopping us all from connecting. They do this with many (machines? hacks?).

This is being done from a lot of different places and it's difficult to find out who does it. They are cowardly shits in other words.

This cloudflare thing is fixing the forums (Which were also attacked). Fingers crossed. But it can't fix the server (why not?).

This (probably?) isn't an attack where we lose stuff like characters or rooms - or worse our credit card info is stolen or anything (right? this is the big deal for me). I think this is maybe an important point that people who aren't techy should be told about? To calm us down :P

Its a bit worrying that it has been down a week before - was that also a DDOS? Does this mean this can happen again and again just because somebody doesnt like the game? Is it possible for someone to tell us what they think the status will be or when we might see it come back? Since its been like nearly a day. 

A DDoS attack can be executed with one or several machines, and its sole purpose is to disrupt normal traffic of a targeted server, that's all. Used alone won't steal any info/data from a server, so you can relax about it.

About when 3DX was down for a week, I have no idea, it could very well have been another attack. Who knows, right? Anyway, yes, it could happen again and again, there's no way of telling. Could be someone who was banned and sees this as revenge, etc., you name it.

Edited by Charlie Masterson

11 minutes ago, xAGONYx said:

anyway an error 522 error is easy to fix and no way should it take almost 15 hours to recover from that was My point.. there's more to this than ddos/.. perhaps they're increasing server capacity or buffing up they're infrastructure to prevent further attacks. but if their aim is to have us believe all it is is ddos is a bit patronizing after 15 hours

I believe them actually. 

But it's poor management at it's fines as it always was the case.

2 minutes ago, Cruna said:

I believe them actually. 

But it's poor management at it's fines as it always was the case.

Sounds like you have very high expectations on a small business like 3dx, when other much bigger companies has been shut down with these kinds of attacks as well ? 🙄

7 minutes ago, xAGONYx said:

My point.. there's more to this than ddos/.. perhaps they're increasing server capacity or buffing up they're infrastructure to prevent further attacks. but if their aim is to have us believe all it is is ddos is a bit patronizing after 15 hours

Perhaps there is more, perhaps there isn't. The bottom line is .. we're not on. Like it or not.

I do like your positivism though .. but IF this is something even remotely related to the last major outage we had, then they didn't learn.

<hr>

" Control what you can control, don't waste energy on what you cannot " .. Of course i'd prefer the game to be up, it's not and I got no say into anything.

" Pours a glass of  single malt scotch " Anyone else ? It's on Gizmo! :)

3 minutes ago, MissD said:

Sounds like you have very high expectations on a small business like 3dx, when other much bigger companies has been shut down with these kinds of attacks as well ? 🙄

It sounds like yes I do have the expectation of having a working service in a subscription based game. Yes I do. lack of staff doesn't excuse them. People can and should hire more if they can't handle their own job. It's their company, and you are a customer.

Edited by Cruna

3 minutes ago, Stellania said:

Am I the only one having flashbacks of that last big outage we had a few years ago ?

No, I remember that as well. I also remember the generosity that was extended to all ...

I'm going to remain optimistic but the point remains.. they've had ample  opportunity to recover from a ddos attack.. I've had My radio station attacked via ddos.. I know first hand that there's only 5 steps to required to get the server back up and running and in My case that took about 2 and half hours.. the bulk of it being uploading changes and patch before restarting.. granted My client/consumer handshake is a lot more straight forward than a third party client but even larger MMOs only need 6 hours tops so yeah.. I choose to believer they are doing things to prevent further attacks like creating filter data profiles for the initial contact/connect or maybe even updating server capacity.. THAT would take a day or more to update

8 minutes ago, Pamala said:

No, I remember that as well. I also remember the generosity that was extended to all ...

Yes, I remember that as well Pamala .. I was only implying that the same "They should do this, they should do that" conversations are popping up.. it's like being in a time capsule :)

Edited by Stellania

8 minutes ago, Stellania said:

Am I the only one having flashbacks of that last big outage we had a few years ago ?

Nope I've been talking to some friends from here about it today, remembering how some people completely lost their fuckin minds lol. It was pretty entertaining watching grown-ass people have total meltdowns over it. xD

Edited by Yagi

They've been super generous in the past when it comes to down time.. I think last time they gave everyone a month of sub for 6 days down time.. I'm not butthurt over the down time.. just wish they'd update us on the progress like most mmos at least try to do.. they have nothing on their twitter about the site even being down.. o well lol

2 minutes ago, xAGONYx said:

I'm going to remain optimistic but the point remains.. they've had ample  opportunity to recover from a ddos attack.. I've had My radio station attacked via ddos.. I know first hand that there's only 5 steps to required to get the server back up and running and in My case that took about 2 and half hours.. the bulk of it being uploading changes and patch before restarting.. granted My client/consumer handshake is a lot more straight forward than a third party client but even larger MMOs only need 6 hours tops so yeah.. I choose to believer they are doing things to prevent further attacks like creating filter data profiles for the initial contact/connect or maybe even updating server capacity.. THAT would take a day or more to update

Like i said, i like your optimism .. Not being sarcastic here.

1 hour ago, Tracer said:

Hiya! Can someone explain what a ddos is? (in a non-nerdy way please) Is it hacking? Are our characters and rooms going to be ok? If someone is attacking the server isn't it just to call the police?

Non nerdy explanation => Imagine you wanna go into your favorite fast food restaurant or something similar, because you're nearly starving. Before you reach the entrance, a huge crowd storms in and blocks the doorway so you can't get in anymore. THAT's denial of service 😜

3 minutes ago, xAGONYx said:

They've been super generous in the past when it comes to down time.. I think last time they gave everyone a month of sub for 6 days down time.. I'm not butthurt over the down time.. just wish they'd update us on the progress like most mmos at least try to do.. they have nothing on their twitter about the site even being down.. o well lol

It was 4 days and we got a free month and a bunch of gold too.....but I forgot how much.....