3DXChat Community

DO YOU THINK U DJ? WHAT IS A DJ-STREAMER-PLAYLIST ETC

Aliviax

But no harm in reminding what a dj is n do so ppl dont get confused on what they are :) who knows in some day ppl will think they are supermen n super girls n attempt to fly from 20 floor building so no harm in say heyyyy ur not superman or supergirl hahahaahahaahaha.......tokyo hotel dont jump :0

Back in my days we didn't had a button to match the BPM. We had to spin the turntable and then slowly push our finger against it until we matched the BPM ;)

Thank God good ol RadioDJ    hahaha or maybe the analogue but very sophisticated Technics series turntables    :D

Reports this thread for being off topic  for the forum 

lisa this thread is just an educational thread n not bashing anyone ppl are free to come comment n share their opinion or can choose to not visit this thread 

its just a reminder of what a dj do n is .

also is on event cause all djs visit the event.

this thread is not shaming n naming or undermine anyone in particular so i dont get why u wanna report this  and ofc ur free to act as u wish :)

but literaly no reason to get so sensitive as to report an educational thread :)

on second thought i might been mistaken well its a game anyone can claim anything who am i to tell what is what we are here to have fun  maybe i got to serious  so im sorry if i make someone sad ,i guess i have a lot to learn n again im sorry for any inconvinience sorry forgettin how to write correct word.

ayway have fun everyone what ever we do was wrong in my side to mention this.

i love most of you <3

There there Alivia, don't be like that, yer wot? 18 yrs 19 yrs old? u started DJing no more than 6-8 months ago, you've been in the game about that long as well?  no one is saying yer completely wrong, but yer not completely right either. and as Lisa said in the post above mine, yer tad arrogant. 

This is after all a game, where people can be wot ever they want because they aren't  or can't be it IRL, some of us DJ IRL so be it, some don't likewise there so be it.

The wrong you committed was to condemn and judge those that download music from Youtube, but you forget something some artist do publish their work for others to download for free on youtube or and other medias. 
  I share my compositions for free to those who like them, but I don't post them on youtube,  wot matters here is that there is always people who tire of the constant monotone sex in the game and want other things. such as music, good time with people who are on the same level.

I do understand your lack of comprehension due to yer lack of life experience, because you are young. "live and let live"  do wot yer do cuz you are actually good at wot ye do, but do not condemn others nor judge them because you are not in such position to do so unless you are willing to pay for that persons subscription.

Now I say this and give it away as an advice, but you take it as you wish.   and I rly hope your contribution to the artist event is successfull, I mean it from the bottom of me heart.   :)

There there Alivia, don't be like that, yer wot? 18 yrs 19 yrs old? u started DJing no more than 6-8 months ago, you've been in the game about that long as well?  no one is saying yer completely wrong, but yer not completely right either. and as Lisa said in the post above mine, yer tad arrogant. 

This is after all a game, where people can be wot ever they want because they aren't  or can't be it IRL, some of us DJ IRL so be it, some don't likewise there so be it.

The wrong you committed was to condemn and judge those that download music from Youtube, but you forget something some artist do publish their work for others to download for free on youtube or and other medias. 

I share my compositions for free to those who like them, but I don't post them on youtube,  wot matters here is that there is always people who tire of the constant monotone sex in the game and want other things. such as music, good time with people who are on the same level.

I do understand your lack of comprehension due to yer lack of life experience, because you are young. "live and let live"  do wot yer do cuz you are actually good at wot ye do, but do not condemn others nor judge them because you are not in such position to do so unless you are willing to pay for that persons subscription.

Now I say this and give it away as an advice, but you take it as you wish.   and I rly hope your contribution to the artist event is successfull, I mean it from the bottom of me heart.   :)

ty Achroi  btw im 20 now ^^ hehehee yes its a game ppl can be what they want i forgot game is a break from reality. was wrong of me say all these .

nothing sweetie but in earlier threats this same thing has been talked, argued over and over again, my sincerest advice it leave it alone and do wot ye do, enjoy the game wot ever others do, as long as it doesn't affect you, just because some people cani shite through their arses doesn't mean they cani shite at all, if u get me meaning.  as I sed earlier live and let live,   =)

• 1 year later...

DJ's are just waiters.. and not cooks... as many tend to believe. Said in a plainer way.. they are not creative as such, only bringing forth what others have done. Having a good atmosphere in a public room depends a lot less on a DJ than on some people able to create a a good feel in local chat. In most cases a decent radio-stream without too many adds can work very well.

In my opinion the community of 3dX in general take DJ's and DJ'ing way too serious. :-)

I find your comment very interesting. First, because you are generalizing, as most in this thread have, to what DJs are and are not. Sure, I agree with your statement that 99.3% of the music shared in 3Dx is not created by the individual that delivers it. There has been exceptions to this. I, myself have "mashed" a few songs, creating a new "dish" (using your waiters to cooks reference) and even creating my own music track to underlie when I voice. Know your facts before you brand an entire population as one thing.

Second, again you generalize in stating that a DJ isn't creative. Yes, there are people out there that just toss music into a list without much thought or creativity, but there are many others that take the time, hours if not days to formulate a well crafted list of music, based on a theme, and in some cases, create graphics and posts to coincide with the event, as well as possible reflections in their room to add to the ambiance. That doesn't include the possible voicing, engaging those in the room to keep the energy flowing, insuring that anyone in attendance will not only enjoy the room, but enjoy the community that they are experiencing in that moment.

Delivering music to such a varied group of people takes more than just pushing song after song in a playlist, so to everyone's merit, small pieces of their comments in this thread are valid. But come on, how much can we take a topic, that most of us agree is not relevant to what someone labels themselves, and just enjoy the experience that comes from it?

On a personal note, I really don't care if people come to Absolute and think I am just a "waiter". I enjoy what I do for my own reasons. I am not here to change your perceptions of definitions in the English language. I am here to share hard rock and metal. I am here to educate about music. I am here to hopefully entice you to enjoy the community and the experience, when it is all said and done.

So... be and let be, for fracks sake.

Stop trying to put people in boxes or toss labels onto them.

I am going to "be" over here, being the best version of me, doing what I love, regardless of your labels.

Haha well sry a DJ isn't a person that make it's own music... Oh I wanted to stay out of this discussion because it is super silly. But seriously a DJ is a person who plays music. Some, especially those spinning electronic music, mix songs, make transitions, or do more advanced stuff with songs from others. A music producer creates it's own songs. And sure some DJs are producers as well, but not all DJs are producers.

First lets see what the internet says is a DJ..

DJ1
/ˈdē ˈˌjā/
noun

1. 1.
    a person who introduces and plays recorded popular music on radio.
    "he was the only DJ to play our last release on the radio"
    •  

•  

verb

1. 1.
    play recorded music on radio or at a club or party.
    "he DJ'ed for 5 hours nonstop"

Now Wikipedia's..

A disc jockey, often abbreviated as DJ, is a person who plays existing recorded music for a live audience. Most common types of DJs include radio DJ, club DJ who performs at a nightclub or music festival and turntablist who uses record players, usually turntables, to manipulate sounds on phonograph records

Now my turn, a DJ is a dinner jacket.. wait wrong one, a DJ is like an entertainer. A dj can speak before a song, mix a song, blend two or more songs together, or just pay a track or ten. Professional DJs, get paid to do that. I will be honest with you guys, I could have been a professional DJ going around in a van with speakers and stuff from one party to another, but I love metal and can not stand to play certain genres. Someone wrote that a dj makes their own music, that is a musician. A music maker, they become DJs by introducing their songs and their mixes together, but making music from scratch or mixing, sampling and so on are not what a dj does, rather it is what a DJ can do. 

Mikey using you for a second. Reason why some will never meet a dj here is because a DJ in a sex game if famous would not use their stage name or real name. For all we know Mikey could be Steve Aoki, Elijah Woods or Skrillex. Reason why i say this is due to how relaxed and laid back Mikey is, he logs in to have fun and relax, why complicate things if he was a well known famous dj? I mean look at Achilles, he is one step away from clocking due to my constant bugging him to play and I am not a big EDM fan, but Achilles is that damn good.

Point is to me a DJ is an entertainer who makes a party fun and that is why we log on to have fun. Nixxx for example used to dj with his avi running around naked, funny ass stuff from an amazing DJ and friend. While Ukari introduces us to more Asian and other country's music, it is why I log on when she plays to discover something new.

@ Raevaen

That comment i wrote over a year ago.... and it should be obvious that my main message was to say that i felt...(and still feel), that the "art" of dj'ing is taken all to seriously by the community in general.. and even more so by the selfproclaimed DJ's. I am of course generalizing agan and putting people into boxes.. it helps to put the message through.

And i think the 99.7% you mention is sufficient to make a generalization :)

I do stream myself and select the stuff i play carefully and with great care. But i dont take it for more than it is... providing some selected music for the room i open.. trying to make a good atmosphere along with greetings and comments in local chat. I dont expect (and would dislike) people to bow their heads in awe of my "creativity".

I tried to stay away from this thread. I really did. I swear! :)

I see that most agree with the basic premise that in 3DX, anyone the plays music is a DJ and I couldn`t agree more! I'm not even sure WHY we`re having this conversation in the first place. Is it THAT important to define what a DJ is ? On 3DX ? Really ?

Now if some of you want to boast because you mix this and that, do beatmatching, use turntables, use the latest software and hardware .. well, that`s your prerogative but, i think you`re missing the whole point of WHY you play music in the 1st place if you act like that.

Fact of the matter is, in my book anyways, ANYONE that plays music should be considered as ENTERTAINERS, some by playing their flavour of music, sharing a bit about themselves by doing so, sharing a current mood with visitors to their room and some by doing a bit more than that as well. The possibilities are almost endless and as various as the amount of DJ's currently roaming the 3DX world.

Bottom line is, we all take some of our free time and we try to make 3DX a more entertaining environment by sharing a PASSION with others .. and for that, I tip my hat to all of you, regardless of musical styles, room environment and various activities provided in the room.

Delivering music to such a varied group of people takes more than just pushing song after song in a playlist, so to everyone's merit, small pieces of their comments in this thread are valid. But come on, how much can we take a topic, that most of us agree is not relevant to what someone labels themselves, and just enjoy the experience that comes from it?

On a personal note, I really don't care if people come to Absolute and think I am just a "waiter". I enjoy what I do for my own reasons. I am not here to change your perceptions of definitions in the English language. I am here to share hard rock and metal. I am here to educate about music. I am here to hopefully entice you to enjoy the community and the experience, when it is all said and done.

Just piggybacking on this for fun, not as a debate or anything.....but you know Rae (as we have discussed this) that I personally use your format as a template for my own events to some extent.  I like to take the spirit of what you do and put my own spin on it, but it shouldn't be a surprise that I truly admire what you do and how you do it.  I enjoy having a theme, I enjoy the song intros and little bits of talking because it brings a little fun and humanity into an event.  It makes it more about hosting a party than anything else.  I have recorded, mastered, re-mastered and re-mixed music by artists.  I "create" my own song transition bumpers (out of other artists work).  I have never created a purely original digital (or analog) musical composition and don't do what a lot of "modern dj's" do with mashing tracks together......but I do spend a great amount of time putting together the right music for a party/event and go to pains to make sure the mix and transitions are right.  I'll add equalization and little tweaks here and there and take an active role while am hosting.  Being that i'm absolutely horrid at multitasking (lol) this can keep me completely occupied (just ask LoriD  :lol: )

I also get the idea that some people don't appreciate that and don't really want anything more than just a good mix of music playing song after song after song, with no interruption.  That's cool too.

At the end of the day, I don't view what I do as DJ-ing.  It's more of party host/musical coordinator than anything else and i'm totally cool with that.  I do it when I am feeling it and just to have fun, and i'm ok with not doing it very well lol.  Thankfully, I have patient and well-meaning friends  ;)

I think that anyone, regardless of their style and how they present their event, that puts forth the time and effort and even pays additional streaming fees just so they can share a love for music with friends and visitors deserves props.

Reckon i'll toss my 2 cents in.

I agree with Stellania's statement about those that stream music in 3DX should just be called entertainers.

No matter if someone spends hours to craft the perfect trance mix, that flows from one beat to the next as if it's one hours long continuous sound.

Or if it's just someone that went to the trouble to figure out how to link their Spotify to 3DX and just slot in a playlist.

They all took time and effort to make / do something for others.

Now I must admit though, that i myself shake my head at some of the more pretentious people out there who's 'sets' basically consist of banner adds and intro's proclaiming how great the music is... And then cut up said music with those same adds...

But that's my personal taste and opinion

End of the day, we spend our time in 3DX to relax, and some of us, decided to relax by entertaining others.

Reckon we should just focus on that, before we go hanging labels on everything and raise hell among ourselves.

ANDDDDDDDD.....here I go trying to decide and determine what I am considered to be.

I believe I am a DJ who is careful with my creation of playlists many times based upon a theme.

I believe I am a DJ who does everything possible to bring in the guests to a room with the fun and good atmosphere I try to create with my music.

I believe I am a DJ who has real love from my real heart for the ones who honor me to play music in their room and especially love for the guests who choose to be in the room where I DJ for something I do that truly connects me with them at various times.

I believe I am a DJ who never ignores guests in my room and invites them to request music from me when I guarantee to always play every request I receive so the requestor feels a true part of the room and event.

I believe I am a DJ who can mix here as I do IRL, but knows many here just want to hear the song, not my mixing skills with a very classic song they want to hear as recorded. I do all I can to give the guests what they desire with music.

NOW, does all of that make me better than any other DJ in 3DX? Absolutely not! Does all of that mean I am actually a DJ or is it just me believing I am? That is something I will let others who do or don't know me decide.

I never use the word 'honor' lightly or as a 3DX BS term with how I feel to be a DJ and to be asked to play music as an invited DJ by anyone in 3DX. I come and go with no ego, just with the love of the music I play and the guests I serve. I support as many other persons who DJ in 3DX as I can.

Alivia, I LOVE that you began this posting even last year. As you know, I have heard you so often and I love everything I hear you do. I smile IRL big when I hear anyone else play. I learn so much from ALL of you.

I just hope I have had at least a positive impact upon anyone and everyone who has ever heard me play. I will continue to play music when asked and give the guests hopefully even more than they expected from me.

Thank you to let me just be as genuine as I can be in here, a world that is obviously virtual, but still a world full of people I would never have met IRL and can now call so many my friends. Again, THANK YOU!