3DXChat Community

Allowing players to moderate their own in-game rooms and in-Forum topics

Sage Stoner

Today has its roots in yesterday and is the roots of tomorrow.  :P

Sage : it can't work when the topic becomes passionate. You can't moderate your own topic for you are too involved in. There is a temptation to mute those who disagree with you. I have lived it in other forums It is not all people who have enough ethic to do this. 

You can't moderate your own topic for you are too involved in. There is a temptation to mute those who disagree with you. I have lived it in other forums It is not all people who have enough ethic to do this. 

Again, I will respectfully disagree. If an OP were to capriciously block a user just for disagreeing, I am sure that others would call him or her out on that. The key is to get the whole community involved and enable everyone to feel that they have a stake in maintaining a cordial environment, which is something that no amount of community rules or moderation can do. 

Naturally, I don't expect everyone to agree with me.  But I do think that discussion of this issue can go a long way towards raising the bar in the Forum. 

Just throwing in my morning ha'pennyworth - there's a really interesting opinion piece by Matthew Paris in todays Times about the internet generally, so sort of relevant to here, and if it's possible to regulate it. He covers a lot of the ground we've covered here, and then some. It's well worth a read if you can access it.

That's all :-)

there's a really interesting opinion piece by Matthew Paris in todays Times

New York or Los Angeles?  They are two different cities, you know.  :P

/me cracks himself up sometimes . . . .

Edit: Oh, nvm. I found it! https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-internet-is-a-jungle-that-cant-be-tamed-pn6zxs59z

Edited by Sage Stoner

Sage, the problem I see is you're assuming that every OP will have some sense when it comes to who they allow in a topic or not. That just isn't the case. Forums become very heated, people argue just for the sake of arguing. Wanting their side to be the end-all-be-all. OP's would be granted so much power and I don't think it's right to assume that people are going to always act fairly.

There is a reason that every community carefully picks who moderates it. You've got to be unbiased and just. The OP of a topic will more likely be biased just by being part of the discussion. It takes a big person to see beyond their opinion and make a fair assessment despite their own beliefs. It's just not likely, imo.

The difference for me between room in-game moderation vs forum... Rooms in-game are rarely, if not ever, a topic similar to the ones we see on forums. Meaning, you don't see people actively sitting in a room on 3dx advertised as a "rape is not a metaphor" and discussing what it means. People are advertising sex rooms or chillout spots. It's not a "discussion" it's more about "actions". 

My point: the atmosphere and behavior changes from forum to in-game because it's a completely different environment. Apples to oranges.

I think it's 100% fine to be able to kick someone/ban someone from your room. 

No to both - though I can see why if people are being harassed, but then there is ignore. I've never felt the need for it. I just see kicking people from rooms as adding to "dramas" (i can't believe I just used that word). People will get kicked and then the host will get a few "why did you kick my friend out?" messages. I'd prefer 3dx as it is than adding a bit of prissiness.

Given how the ignore system works, won't this possibly end up with Alt B being evicted and then Alt A can't come in? - oh Twiggy loves it already (haha)!

No way to moderating forums. I think with the exception of Brianna - most people make fairly ok posts. I could see why the technical forums should be edited/moderated as it's important the right information is available. Even when people have posted 'nasty' messages or whatever it's still an opinion that matters or is out there. I don't like the idea that threads exclude people as they didn't have a good education or they don't make posts people see as being of a certain standard.

That said it would also be hilarious to see some of the 'nice' people having their posts removed!

So u r obviously JJ/KittyCaitlin/LexMansfield/Bree etc etc etc. In over a year I have been in the game only ONE person has ever used this term to refer to me and that's u, so u just make it so easy to know when u r around. Piss off troublemaker.

Ahaha that's immediately what I thought too!

I read from a friend that is being harassed by a person she ignored but has a hack that allowed him to go into a private room, allowed him to request threesomes even though she has him on ignore. She is not able to see what he says about her due to the ignore option and RobT gave her good advice on what to do to help report the violation to the ignore rules. Reason why I state this is because I strongly believe in the kick people out of the room button. As for the drama, if the owner of the room uses the button, it is more then likely people will know why he or she used it. The drama should already be there and kicking the individual out while some may think is making the drama worse, it is actually making it better.

Party crashers may actually behave themselves knowing all the owner has to do is push the button. As for the forum, make it fair. Let real 3DX users get their own personal code and show they are game users instead of visiting or curious people.

Just to let people know that come in this thread.

Gizmo at one point, I can't remember if it was an answer in the forum somewhere or an answer included in a pm.

But he did answer that the he liked the idea of boot from room and it will be added.

I had made a little post with a pic of the control that comes up when you click on a person, also explained how I felt it could be easily added with code he mostly already has.

I was under the impression it would be added with the world editor update, but I guess it was one of a few things he had talked about he was going to add that got left for later.

I still believe he intends to add it.

PB show's his true colours here too, I think that explains a lot. It does look like he's been rumbled. Maybe, by his behaviour here, he's making it clear that there is an argument for OP's to moderate their own threads in the absence of active forum moderation. It's also a clear demonstration of what could happen if an OP was not prepared to give posters a fair hearing.

It is so sad that people have to behave like that and turn a reasonably sensible discussion in to a slagging match. OK in any discussion there's room for a bit of humour, maybe a bit of teasing and some larking around. There's a big different between that and dragging things down to the level of two year olds throwing their toys at each other.

Come on guys, Sage has raised an interesting topic. Is it so hard to talk about it in a civilised way?

by his behaviour here, he's making it clear that there is an argument for OP's to moderate their own threads in the absence of active forum moderation. 

It's rather hilarious, isn't it, that people say "No, OPs shouldn't be allowed to moderate their own threads because people will abuse it" and yet this and every other thread in this forum gets thrashed anyway. Either way, there is abuse, so where is the downside to trying my suggestion?   lol

im not going to pollute this thread anymore so i will end on this. it must trigger the fuck out of you that so many like me considering i troll daily and 99 percent think you are a fuck stick.  that will never change no matter how many alts in forums or game you make ;)

C'mon Climate Warming is only another scientist fake news ! POLLUTE POLLUTE POLLUTE!!!

post-5159-0-25070500-1515294945_thumb.jpgpost-5159-0-96392900-1515294922_thumb.jpgpost-5159-0-21719600-1515294976_thumb.jpgpost-5159-0-15596900-1515294986.jpgpost-5159-0-93328400-1515294996_thumb.jpg

I tend to think, as this has been an issue since I’ve been around, nothing will change. Doing nothing often reflects intentions. This is their forum, they should be in control of it. At this point we have to suck it up or demand better moderation. Hell, trolls could go nuts right now as they have no backup support during their holiday. Support issues require waiting until they are back.

I still can't get over the irony of the fact that if I were allowed to moderate my own thread, all that other nonsense would have been nipped in the bud.

That is not how the internet works. The only way to stop a troll is to stop responding to them. Responding to them and moderating them out of a topic only makes them know you are getting a reaction, so they will create another forum name and continue.

That is not how the internet works. The only way to stop a troll is to stop responding to them. Responding to them and moderating them out of a topic only makes them know you are getting a reaction, so they will create another forum name and continue.

Very facile reasoning. I couldn't care less about your or anyone else's theories of "how the internet works." The intent of my proposal is to allow OPs to exercise some measure of control over who thrashes their thread. For example, if I were allowed to, I would have blocked Purple Butterfly and Brianna after their first posts to this thread, because they were both entirely off topic. If that means that they would then target my posts in the future, good luck to them. If that means that people stop replying to my posts, then fine. I will figure it out and either stop banning people or just stop posting. 

as far as controlling your own theads, its a good idea in theory but not everyone would use it properly and what happens then? 

How could trying it my way be any worse than what it already is? This is the one question that no one who is against my proposal seems to be able to tackle. Where is the downside of trying it my way, when the forum is already a shit storm?

I tend to think, as this has been an issue since I’ve been around, nothing will change. Doing nothing often reflects intentions. This is their forum, they should be in control of it.

Yes, I tend to agree with you. In the end, Gizmo's intent is just to let things continue the way they are, because that entails the least amount of effort on his part and his goals, whatever they are, are apparently being met. 

Anyway, I think that as much as needs to be said about this topic has already been said, so I will hold my peace. Although anyone who wishes to comment is more than welcome to do so.

I definitely think we should be able to moderate our own Diary posts

Genuine question. Why is the User Diary section any different from the rest of the forum? I don’t really see much point in posting a diary publicly if it is just a one way conversation. Also, I have seen user diaries which attack individuals and groups. So either the mods should delete diary posts that specifically attack individuals or they should remain open so the individual has an opportunity to defend themselves. In other words, if User Diaries were limited to who could respond, then they shouldn’t be used as a vehicle to bully others.

Genuine question. Why is the User Diary section any different from the rest of the forum? I don’t really see much point in posting a diary publicly if it is just a one way conversation. Also, I have seen user diaries which attack individuals and groups. So either the mods should delete diary posts that specifically attack individuals or they should remain open so the individual has an opportunity to defend themselves. In other words, if User Diaries were limited to who could respond, then they shouldn’t be used as a vehicle to bully others.

This has already been addressed, but here we go again. My proposal does not allow anyone to bully others anymore than they already do. Nor does my proposal affect forum users' ability to report abusive posts to the administrators. So, just like now, if someone makes a diary post or any other post that attacks any individual or group, it should be reported to the administrators. What my proposal would do is allow the OP to prevent certain individuals from constantly making abusive or off-topic posts withing a particular thread. That's all. If the administrators were doing an adequate job of moderating this forum, there would be no need for such a function, but since they are apathetic at best, I believe that allowing OPs to moderate their own posts is one way of improving the signal-to-noise ratio and reducing some of the infantile back-and-forth arguments that goes on. 

Moreover, your objection that a public diary should be more than a one-way conversation is little more than your own preconception. I've seem plenty of diary posts that are essentially one-way conversations, which is what the word "diary" actually implies. The idea that any post that attacks either an individual or a group should remain open so the people in question can defend themselves is just drama. Any post that attacks individuals should be reported and deleted.

It seems certain types of players seem to attract attacks from others while others don't. There is obviously something more going on there, like there are three sides to every story. One person's side, the other person's side and then the actual truth. Maybe the devs are wise to this, and have a tendency just to look the other way, hoping you can all settle it like adults. I know, a crazy notion.