3DXChat Community

Questions of scale

Fyrefly

Hi all! The new editor looks nifty but I have a few questions that have popped into mind before I can really dive into it. Forgive me if any of these have been addressed elsewhere...

1) Sorry if this seems a silly question, but why is the 1 m (meter?) measurement not anything like a meter relative to the height of our avis? Since all of us are effectively the same height anyway, (and assuming average human height between 1.6 to 1.7 meters), the “1m” object size seems off. I like to go for realism in my structures...it would be cool to be able to measure out spaces, wall height and objects that hew closer to real life. I know that’s not as fantastical as the way some like to build, but I prefer the option.

2) Speaking of object size, how does size effect lag or load times? For example, if I want to cover a large section of my grid with landscaping, is it better to make multiple smaller tiles, or bigger tiles? How big can they comfortably get? What kind of things are going to slow my space down to a crawl if anyone wants to come visit?

3) Going the other way, how small can things go...I’m assuming you can use tecniques like before and use edges of objects to do things like wall art and text. Do multiple tiny objects cause issues like big ones (if either does)? I know there are tutorials and such out there already...I’m just trying to anticipate issues related to scale.

Thanks all to any tips or answers you can provide...i’m looking forward to digging in and building something new and creative!

- Lazlo

It depends on exactly how much detail is put into something the more detail the more likely it's going to have some sort of lag.

As far as scaling you can move your avi over to where you're working to be able to judge the scaling for something other than poses as you have to partner and you can't do that in the editor so then it becomes by eye and distance.

Like Mar said you can hit F6 and control your AV, that way you can walk over to whateva ya building and gauge scale.

As far as props go, size and number ah would guess tha more props you have the closer you get to tha lag. But try to be conservative and continually monitor Lag. Have frands over and ask them how the room runs for them and yourself obviously. Try to build using larger objects and then add details. Eet also depends tha place ya building large outdoor areas compared to an indoor club and what you main focus or priority is in the room, perhaps finish this off with your detailing before you expand out, eets a balancing game.

Small objects depend on how many props make them up, but if I were you I would just build, and just keep your eye on lag, don't worry too much just have fun and be creative. I would tink rendering a small block compared to a large block would be less taxing on recourses but I'm not completely sure how this Graphics engine and the Optimizing works for this youde have to ask a tech head.

All tha best :)

Hi all! The new editor looks nifty but I have a few questions that have popped into mind before I can really dive into it. Forgive me if any of these have been addressed elsewhere...

1) Sorry if this seems a silly question, but why is the 1 m (meter?) measurement not anything like a meter relative to the height of our avis? Since all of us are effectively the same height anyway, (and assuming average human height between 1.6 to 1.7 meters), the “1m” object size seems off. I like to go for realism in my structures...it would be cool to be able to measure out spaces, wall height and objects that hew closer to real life. I know that’s not as fantastical as the way some like to build, but I prefer the option.

2) Speaking of object size, how does size effect lag or load times? For example, if I want to cover a large section of my grid with landscaping, is it better to make multiple smaller tiles, or bigger tiles? How big can they comfortably get? What kind of things are going to slow my space down to a crawl if anyone wants to come visit?

3) Going the other way, how small can things go...I’m assuming you can use tecniques like before and use edges of objects to do things like wall art and text. Do multiple tiny objects cause issues like big ones (if either does)? I know there are tutorials and such out there already...I’m just trying to anticipate issues related to scale.

Thanks all to any tips or answers you can provide...i’m looking forward to digging in and building something new and creative!

- Lazlo

1. 1m seems real enough in WE compared to avi height. Btw, you can use fine measurement all the way down to 10cm (0.1m). You can set it at the settings tab of WE tools panel. You can type in 0.01m there, but game will still use minimum of 0.1m. That sucks. I'd love to measure things with at least 1cm. Even better would be direct input if the shape sizes (I mean I want to have an option to tell WE that I want *THIS EDGE* to be 137.5cm long i.e.), but it is not SolidWorks and not even the AutoCAD.

2. The fewer primitives you use, the faster they render. So always try to use as few primitives, as possible.

3. It comes from 2nd, but there's one thing to know. Unity renders objects in HD inside a shpere around your current POV, and in SD outside of it. You may have noticed this shpere watching some large rooms. So. If you put 100 primitives and they are all fitting in this shpere, then it will render slower than if those 100 primitives were large enough not to fit inside of it. I mean, having very complex structures, made of thousands small primitives makes FPS drop drastically. I've learnt it when I was making my Bike project. I was building it in enormous size planning to downscale it later. So, when I put 3 small copies near each other I have clearly noticed FPS dropping down. Didnt measure FPS, but difference was obvious.

Concluding it - you DONT WANT to build complex objects of small size and moreso you dont want to put them close to each other. Try visiting Versalles room when it's up, you will understand what I'm talking about. Looks nice at screenshots, but completely unplayable on average PC.

Stay below 1500 props, don't add detail far away and use as few props as you need.

Remeber, your place wasn't made in Blender and loads as one object.

Each and every prop you put in - yours and everyone's puters have too render.

Each and every object takes time and puter power.