3DXChat Community

Creating Small Objects

SlaveToDesire

So I've been trying to make certain things like light strips, glasses, silverware, bottles, etc. I've tried a lot of ways to go about this so far is simply come down to start with a base object, size it down correctly and lay it in incredibly slowly. Piece. By. Piece. There has to be easier way to this, does anyone know how to resize objects on mass? Or why it is grouped objects (on my end at least) never group properly..? I try to rotate something and end up with every piece individually rotating instead of the thing as a whole. As well is there any fix to the camera in the editor for zooming in on smaller things? It seems once I get within two meters of an object the gizmos just stop working so I can't scale, reposition or anything.

So I've been trying to make certain things like light strips, glasses, silverware, bottles, etc. I've tried a lot of ways to go about this so far is simply come down to start with a base object, size it down correctly and lay it in incredibly slowly. Piece. By. Piece. There has to be easier way to this, does anyone know how to resize objects on mass? Or why it is grouped objects (on my end at least) never group properly..? I try to rotate something and end up with every piece individually rotating instead of the thing as a whole. As well is there any fix to the camera in the editor for zooming in on smaller things? It seems once I get within two meters of an object the gizmos just stop working so I can't scale, reposition or anything.

As far as I know you can't resize group objects (till now?), only move and rotate them...

For the rotating: if you want to rotate grouped objects as if they were one piece, change from Pivot to Center. Then it all rotates around the center axis instead of its individual axes.

With the camera you are right, it is way too sensitive when zoomed in, and you can't use gizmos when zoomed in very close.

For whenever you rotate or try to resize something make the you're changing the actual location of the rotate/scale tool. If you look at the top you'll see where it says, "Pivot". Click that and you'll see the "Center" option which places the tool in the middle of the objects or group.

For resizing something all at once, if hold shift while using the scale tool, a little box will appear. Click the box while still holding shift to change the scale of everything at once.

For resizing something all at once, if hold shift while using the scale tool, a little box will appear. Click the box while still holding shift to change the scale of everything at once.

Does not work if you select more then one object or a group of objects. Does not resize all objects to scale.

Does not work if you select more then one object or a group of objects. Does not resize all objects to scal

It does, I'm at work right now, I'll do a tutorial thingy when I get home.

Works for me was searching for this ...thank you very much Izu. !

Okay- finally home! So basically you need to do a few steps to do this, and actually, sometimes it can go a tiny bit funny if you have like rotated and scaled polygons in different directions.

So first, you're going to want to make sure you've got your made object in the scene, preferably in a empty room as when you go to drag select and click a polygon or prop, it will select it and not make the selection box.

djM5xUv.png

Then, make sure you've changed the transform compass from it's default, "Pivot" to "Center". This is so that when we go to scale it, it'll scale from the center point keeping everything nice and how we had it.

18trDFt.png

Now, make sure you've gone and selected all the polygons/props you're going to want to rescale. You do this by clicking and holding on empty space in the scene and dragging your mouse across the thing you're trying to rescale, alternatively- if the object isn't made up of a lot of polygons, you can just hold down the "CTRL" key and click each polygon. Finally, make sure you've hit the group button at the top so we don't lose our selection in case we misclick or need to change something.

ukfxJXz.png

All we have to do now is just select the rescale tool, which is the 3rd green icon at the top, or by hitting the "R" key. And once you've got that selected, you want to hold shift which will create a tiny square, click that and drag your mouse to rescale the object evenly.

xPsssS6.png

And it should hopefully scale evenly, allowing you to resize the object! :D

7ipfXbC.png

Tiny Doll house! xp

imcqJuF.png

Do like SL ( frowns) and add the world editor something that can link parts together so when you size them they will size too.  I was also wondering if it was possible to create mesh items outside of 3dxchat and up load them  just for out new home. Now that would be great. ( got goose bumps with that) lol

Also be nice to sail in here too and watch the sunset and at night laying looking at the stars and moon holding each other. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Haven't taken the time to check out your builds yet, I will, but certainly appreciated this thread.

Hoping there was some "grouping" functions avail, good to know scaling is one. Does this also

work with the other function keys, move and rotate? Will try while playing

Still looking for help on Relational Scaling in general, a rule of thumb when designing your build

TY again, I like time saving tips

For scaling, theres a few methods, firstly for things like houses, if you know or look up plans for houses, you can get an idea of ceiling heights, doorway widths etc, and using the transform tool to get those measurments exact. But just be aware that real exact sizes for some building and layouts, particularly tight corners and hallways, dont work well in this world because of the camera angles, Though I havnt seen a lot of it lately, it was a common mistake many made when building houses. Open plan living is more the style you want, so keep it in mind when looking at layouts.

Another tip is use your character, F6 while youre in build mode gives you control of your character, so move them close to your item and see how it looks, I use this method the most when scaling, and for door/window heights and widths.

In the screenshot you will see the transform tool, adjusting the height or width of a block while looking at that will reveal the item size in meters if youre going for more precise measurments.

Theres also 2 other tools I use in just about every build, and they are just tubes(blue,green) I made that I may use to have center of the room, or celing height, so if making multiple floors, they can all be the same, I will also use them for bounderies or fences, or just for spacing purposes.

For custom furniture(chairs, tables, lounges etc, the ingame props are the best to use, just place one on the floor and build over/beside it, so to speak, and for items there are no props for, again, having your character right beside the item is good enough for scaling.

A lot of it will be trial and error :P

post-14658-0-04696500-1536904742_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

If you want to create small details then tha only way is to build eet BIG and then rescale eet. Tha Cam can be slowed using tha SPACE bar but eet still isnt good enough to Zoom right in, so building Giant makes eet so much easier.

This bike as you can see is built huge and ah copied eet and rescaled eet to 1:1 using mah avatar to judge tha scale.

Follow Izu's toot, thats tha way ya do eet \o/

2019-05-19 20-44-35_125639.png