3DXChat Community

How to get better at RP?

SilentRain

Tbh Silent.. Yes there's lots of ways to get better at RPing, but I have found that reading gives you a lot more than you'd think.

Β 

Try reading some erotic novels to see the language used, the description. It helps you paint a picture by seeing how others do it.

Β 

Also, maybe try writing some of your own short stories. It helps to get a beta reader who can find your mistakes and errors so you know what to fix next time.

Β 

And might I suggest... Proper grammar and punctuation. Less short-hand and abbreviation, otherwise it looks like you don't care (ie; "thru").

Β 

Finally, my biggest suggestion is to fully immerse yourself in the situation. RP scenarios can be fun; getting lost in a character you make up. But sometimes the best is having a true reaction to something someone "does". If you can imagine how you would honestly respond to someone if they did xyz to you, you'll have an easier time being more creative down the line.Β 

Β 

Hope that helped :)

Tbh Silent.. Yes there's lots of ways to get better at RPing, but I have found that reading gives you a lot more than you'd think.

Β 

Try reading some erotic novels to see the language used, the description. It helps you paint a picture by seeing how others do it.

Β 

Also, maybe try writing some of your own short stories. It helps to get a beta reader who can find your mistakes and errors so you know what to fix next time.

Β 

And might I suggest... Proper grammar and punctuation. Less short-hand and abbreviation, otherwise it looks like you don't care (ie; "thru").

Β 

Finally, my biggest suggestion is to fully immerse yourself in the situation. RP scenarios can be fun; getting lost in a character you make up. But sometimes the best is having a true reaction to something someone "does". If you can imagine how you would honestly respond to someone if they did xyz to you, you'll have an easier time being more creative down the line.Β 

Β 

Hope that helped :)

well there's more to it than those also.. situation circumstance and the way to improve i do give free tips depending on the type of rp since theres many kind...

Dearest Athene, I just have to break this down due to the hilarious irony ^_^ *chuckles evilly*

"Tbh Silent..", starts with an abbreviation, then misses the comma that should precede Silent's name, and ends with an ellipses that's both misused (which I don't personally mind, but since we're being technical) and lacks its third period.

Β 

Let's continue.

Β 

"Yes there's lots of ways", again misses the comma after the opening word, and should be "there are", since you're talking about more than one way.

Β 

"And might I suggest...", starts not only a new sentence, but a new paragraph with a conjunctive. In fact, the whole post up until "Finally" could have been written as one paragraph, or each suggestion presented as bullet points for legibility and to keep the reader's attention. The ellipses here is also even more egregious than the first. It should be a colon, nothing else.

Β 

"(ie;)", should first of all be "e.g.", since you're giving an example, followed by a comma, not semi-colon, before "thru". Furthermore, "ie" (which, by the way, means "that is") should be written "i.e." (with periods).

Β 

"But sometimes", again begins a sentence with a conjunctive, and should instead read, "However, sometimes". Then, "does" (already written by you with quotations) should be written with typographic emphasis: either bold or italic - your choice.

Β 

Hope that helps ;)

Pffff... Just get down to it... experiencing it first hand is the best way...Β just get a good command of what ever language you use, a bit of imagination and get going.
imagine a fantasy that you want to live, what character you want to be in it... and start getting dirty.

Every thing in RP is subjective there's no certain rules that governs role play... only the people involved in a certain play make it's rules... so don't be worried about not being good.

It all will come to you with time and experience.

Dearest Athene, I just have to break this down due to the hilarious Irony ^_^ *chuckles evilly*

Β 

Β 

"Tbh Silent..", starts with an abbreviation, then misses the comma that should precede Silent's name, and ends with an ellipses that's both misused (which I don't personally mind, but since we're being technical), and lacks its third period.

Β 

Let's continue.

Β 

"Yes there's lots of ways", again misses the comma after the opening word, and should be "there are", since you're talking about more than one way.

Β 

"And might I suggest...", starts not only a new sentence, but a new paragraph with a conjunctive. In fact, the whole post up until "Finally" could have been written as one paragraph, or each suggestion presented as bullet points for legibility and to keep the reader's attention. The ellipses here is also even more egregious than the first. It should be a colon, nothing else.

Β 

"(ie;)", should first of all be "e.g.", since you're giving an example, followed by a comma, not semi-colon, before "thru". Furthermore, "ie" (which, by the way, means "that is") should be written "i.e." (with periods).

Β 

"But sometimes", again begins a sentence with a conjunctive, and should instead read, "However, sometimes". Then, "does" (already written by you with quotations), should be written with typographic emphasis: either bold or italic - your choice.

Β 

Hope that helps ;)

i know i lack on the punctuation department mostly on purpose to quicken the text... i usually send 2 to 3 paragraph quickly in a minute so my partners for rp arent bored or out of it wich in turn made my writting ''dirty'' for lack of a better word sadly i got trapped in my own loophole and english is not my main language

My take on this topic:

Β 

1. Spontaneous interaction is what makes RP feel alive. So be sure to respond to what your partner is doing and give them things that they can respond to, too. And let things happen in sequence. Don't tell your partner that her nipples are hard. Tell her how much you like the feeling of her nipples in your fingers. Then, if she tells you that that makes her nipples hard, tell her how much you like feeling her nipples grow hard in your fingers. Stuff like that.Β 

Β 

2. Write concisely but expressively. Unlike some kinds of writing, the extensive use of adverbs and adjectives can be effective in RP, because you should be describing what you yourself are experiencing. But don't write so extensively that your partner has time to go get a cup of coffee, either. An example of a sentence pattern that I use a lot is "/me looks deeply in your eyes while softly running my hand up and down your silky smooth back." I like this pattern, because it's not too long, but the two verbs describe the actions I am performing, while the adverbs and adjectivesΒ convey what I am feeling as I do it.

Β 

3. Don't worry about minor errors in spelling, grammar, or punctuation. Timing is just as important as content, so keep the back and forth going at a lively pace. I do agree with Athene, however, about making the effort to spell words out rather than using abbreviations.Β 

Β 

4. Don't worry about mixing the first person and the third person when using the /me command.Β  Yes, the sentence starts with your name, which in the English language places it squarely in the third person. There are many languages, however, in which it is perfectly acceptable to refer to yourself using your name or otherwise talk about yourself in the third person. So don't waste time agonizing over whether you should write "/me takes your hand in mine"Β  or "/me takes your hand in his(hers)." The difference is not that significant unless you are RPing with a grammar Nazi.Β 

Β 

5. When changing sex poses, try to sequence the changes naturally and provide a short description of what you are doing before offering the next pose. Sure, it's ok just to offer someone an oral sex pose, but it's even hotter if you describe how you "kneel down meekly in front of them and look up at them longingly" just before you offer them the pose.Β  Shit, did I just give away my subby side?Β 

Β 

6. mmmmmm,Β  ohhhhhhh,Β  fuuuuuuuccccckkkkk, sheeeeeeeeeeeeettttt, etc. are ok sometimes, especially if you need a filler while you are thinking up your next action. But they get boring before too long, so try not to overuse them.

Β 

Anyway, that's enough from me. Hope you find this helpful.

But don't write so extensively that your partner has time to go get a cup of coffee, either. An example of a sentence pattern that I use a lot is "/me looks deeply in your eyes while softly running my hand up and down your silky smooth back." I like this pattern, because it's not too long, but the two verbs describe the actions I am performing, while the adverbs and adjectivesΒ convey what I am feeling as I do it.

Β 

Don't worry about mixing the first person and the third person when using the /me command.Β  Yes, the sentence starts with your name, which in the English language places it squarely in the third person. There are many languages, however, in which it is perfectly acceptable to refer to yourself using your name or otherwise talk about yourself in the third person. So don't waste time agonizing over whether you should write "/me takes your hand in mine"Β  or "/me takes your hand in his(hers)." The difference is not that significant unless you are RPing with a grammar Nazi.Β 

Β 

Some like it though. Careful. Find your own way and see how your partners feel like about these.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have a very vivid imagination and have only discovered this 3dxchat program/game very recently.Β  For years I have written little stories and done art and photo manip type work involving "sexy stories" and have shared some of this with a few online friends, on Deivant Art and so on.Β  A lot of what I write can easily be adapted to doing RP in this program.Β  Also, I have Rp'ed in MMO games and in table top types of role play games for years too where you "take on a role."Β  So all this practice helps a lot.Β  I do read a lot as others have suggested.Β  And I agree, just jumping in a practicing doing some RP is about the best way.Β  It does help to have a friend or two willing to "go along" with you and RP as well.Β  To me, it's a ton more interesting to use the 3dxchat program and RP to some degree than to not do that.Β  It's like when as kids you role play but as people get older they lose that so you have to bring it back.Β  I have tried to hang on to that level of imagination - to some degree.Β  Anyway - my 2 cents.