3DXChat Community

Ghosting of players bug fix needed

Dallas

Is it just me or are others as frustrated with the lack of action regarding ghosts of players appearing everywhere, this issue has been going for quite awhile now and it keeps popping up. This problem has been recognized by the development team in the past and it keeps cropping up again and again. Albeit it has not occurred to me, I walked around last night, during a quiet period and counted no less the 4 players at Sins and LI and have seen it on the Yacht and the night club in the recent past as well. For players to have to post in their profile that its not really them underwater or in a wall somewhere so that people will not PM them about it is not acceptable, much less if the person is doing something in the privacy of their own room and its seen by everyone that happens to go to Sins or where ever the poor soul is appearing.

Developers, please address this problem in the next patch, resetting the servers is not an appropriate, permanent solution to this problem.

I will be happy to provide SS's of this but a blind developer can see it from a mile away.

Thank you

That bug has been part of 3DX since I joined.

Somehow a server crash causes an invalid session for some, so that the avatar will always be in a public location.

After a server restart, those ghosts are gone.

Not only is this bug annoying for people, because either you can't do naughty stuff without getting a PM, or you have to use an Alt during that time.

I think Alex once figured out how this bug works.

I am one of the unlucky bugged ones! My ghosts hangs out in SIN constantly, sometimes shes dancing and sometimes shes cuddling. Either way I get colds constantly, and messages all day everyday when I'm logged on which is alot! Even pictures sent to me!! Check it out!

post-15425-0-46080300-1497928000_thumb.jpg

post-15425-0-90379600-1497928035_thumb.jpg

The worst part is that this is not a new problem. It's been around for quite some time and can be fixed ... *stops herself before going on a rant*

No, it is time to rant, because even if they are too lazy to fix this and several other well known bugs, much of the problem can be eliminated by weekly maintenance and server reset.

You charge a monthly subscription, SDG! Is it really too much to ask for proper server maintenance on a regular schedule, so that we all know when the server will be down?

No, it is time to rant, because even if they are too lazy to fix this and several other well known bugs, much of the problem can be eliminated by weekly maintenance and server reset.

You charge a monthly subscription, SDG! Is it really too much to ask for proper server maintenance on a regular schedule, so that we all know when the server will be down?

B-but ... if I rant, I'm just wasting my time because no one will listen. Not to mention all that wasted effort that I put in to what I have to say.

*The voice in Shey's head keeps yelling "TELL THEM HOW YOU REALLY FEEL!" so she covers her mouth just in case*

I've adopted a new mentality here since learning a few words of wisdom from my new friend, whom which seems to have all the answers to our 3dx problems with one phrase:

7-Reasons-Why-Your-Website-Is-Too-Slow-G

I use him as my desktop background.

• 1 month later...

Folks, this issue if server side cannot be corrected in the patches that occur on your local device.

To reboot a server is not an easy thing to do as it will take everyone connected offline and there will be a huge number of complaints about that occurring.  When is a good time to reboot servers?  With people all over the world playing there is no time when no players will be impacted.

I have no idea how the game is setup to load balance traffic, how many servers are involved, how connections to/from client side is handled but it is likely to be a complex issue to be able to transfer connectivity between servers to open one up for rebooting.  This is likely to not even be the best approach but whatever approach is used it would require significant changes to the server side code and almost certainly significant changes client side.  This is whole new version type changes not just revision and will take a lot of time/effort to create and test. 

As a programmer and server admin I am aware of the types of issues involved even with no knowledge of how this game is designed.

If something bothers you this much then make it a discussion rather than an attack and perhaps some answers will come forth. 

Just know that not all things are as simple as they sound and may take much longer to correct.  Also, since the game is continually in development any changes of this magnitude could impact current plans of that development and stagnate the game design.  Current design plans may in fact incorporate those fixes but take time to get everything needed in place. 

I am not defending the developers, I have not read enough here to know how or if they respond to these complaints.  I am just providing a perspective others may not see and should before letting themselves get angry over something that may not be addressable in the short term.

You may get angry anyway, that varies by person and their own experience.  Knowing more about the issue helps no matter which way you go.

I would like to see the devs respond with how or at least a timeline a fix might be put in place but understand how variable those things can be and any details provided might lend toward competitors having an advantage.

I do of course sympathize with anyone directly affected. 

I said it in various other threads, and I will say it here aswell.

A routine maintenance never hurt anybody in any other game. It makes sure the game runs the way it is supposed to and gets rid of faulty cache errors that might stack over time.

I am not saying we need this daily, but a weekly routine of bringing down the servers for maintenance would be appreciated.

I know some people here can't live a single minute without the 3DX servers beeing online, but hey it might benefit all of us and gets rid of the most common and also annoying bugs that are server-sided.