3DXChat Community

Favourite Book series

Bubbles89

cant say that iv read ender series, though looking at them now, thats quite an extensive series. i might have a look after i read "the apprentice" series a guy at work suggested , knowing that i like high fantasy scifi novels

Also am guilty i reading alot of the starwars eu in school

me I have two type of book 

the Donna Leon series so good and you can have a good opportunity to know better Venezia

and

bit-lit series like Anita Black or Merry Gentry from Laurell K. Hamilton and others series too but the list will be long :)

and I can add all the classics books theatre, History, and many more

A Song of Ice and Fire. That or The Black Company, depending on my mood. The former is one of the greater character pieces I've seen while the latter does well dragging the fantasy through the grit and bringing it down to our level.

"The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Best book ever about the human condition, wrapped up in a child's story.  It's full of symbolism and great quotes about the silliness of adults and their pursuits, and the meaning of love.

If you wish to read the book: (It's public domain)
http://www.angelfire.com/hi/littleprince/frames.html

If you wish to understand the background and hidden meanings:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Prince

http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/littleprince/

Ahhhh, it feels impossible to choose just one! So, not necessarily in the order of preference, big series:

1. Terry Pratchett's Discworld!!!---smart, funny, complex and highly entertaining!

2. GGR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire---the TV show almost does it justice; the book is amazing, it feels so... raw and captivating!

3. Tolkien, yes. I liked The Silmarillion best of all (read it at least three times!), and then The Lord of the Rings. The Hobbit, sorry, not so much. I still have to read The Children of Hurin. I don't think I have enough time in this lifetime to tackle the Unfinished Tales as well... :(

4. Frank Herbert's Dune---intricate, immersing and thought-provoking! I still have the last few to read (plus the new ones), and I already know it's one of my very favorites.

5. JK Rowling's Harry Potter books---yup, unashamedly so; the writing is impeccable, the world-building is impressive, and it's certainly not just for children!

6. Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles (two books published so far, the third is on its way, and we fans hope it will be more than a trilogy)---wonderful, wonderful books! I highly recommend them, ask me for details! ;)

7. Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series---I actually have a love-hate relationship with this one, for personal reasons. And I was quite happy with the way Brandon Sanderson finished it off, at times I was nodding and saying to myself that he did a better job at it than Jordan could, he brought more life to the characters (don't hate me, Berelain--cool choice of name, by the way!) 

I've also read the first book of Jom Butcher's Dresden Files, I liked it, and I'm planning to read as many as I can. We'll see if it makes the list above or not. I'll be back with a choice of stand-alone books later. :D

Guest Suikazura

Lord of The Rings (with Hobbit and Silmarillian)

Harry Potter series.

Dragonriders of Pern series.

Some of the Warcraft series are good. Have only read a couple of the shorter sets in the series.

The Ishmael series by Daniel Quinn is one of my favorite things ever.

The Night's Dawn Trilogy is fun!

I used to like HP Lovecraft a whole lot.

The Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons is really imaginative! I have to thank an anime of all things for introducing it to me! The

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya has the first book in the series show up as a plot device.

^___^

Am a romantic here, so I can say I am definitely loving Nicholas Sparks' novels :) Most especially "Message in a Bottle" and "The Lucky One" :D Would love to read "Dear John" and "Safe Haven" soon :P