3DXChat Community

3dx 2.5 and Linux (Working)

neilquinn

So, I originally started writing this asking if anyone had gotten it working, as I had 2.0 running on Ubuntu just fine. I started off with some problems, and then figured out how to overcome them. DO NOT run it in the same virtual drive as your 2.0 installation. The way playonlinux scans for files, it gets confused when it sees two exe files with the exact same name in them. Just make a new virtual drive, and setup exactly as you had before, and it will work fine.

For anyone not familiar:

• Download PlayOnLinux (plenty of tutorials on how to do this)
  • Hit Configure on the main screen
  • Hit "New" in the bottom left corner and name the drive
  • Select the latest version of wine (2.7 at the time of writing)
  • Then you will go back to the previous screen. Select your drive, and go to the wine tab
  • Click Configure Wine
  • Select "Windows 10" For windows version
  • Go to the libraries tab
  • Search for d3d11 under the "New override for library" and click Add
  • It will now appear in "Existing Overrides", click it, and select "Edit"
  • Select "disable" and hit OK (wine has terrible dx11 support, and it breaks 3dx if you try and use it)
  • Hit Apply, then ok
  • You will now be on the previous screen again. Select the Miscellaneous tab, then click "Run a .exe file in this virtual drive"
  • Select the installation exe and run it
  • Almost done, after the installation is complete, go back to the general tab, and "Make a new shortcut from this virtual drive"
  • Select the 3dxchat.exe and name your shortcut (so it appears in your playonlinux menu) and you're done! Enjoy the game

no but it comes with no viruses like shitty windows does 

This is true...Linux is super great for servers. HTTP, Mail, SQL etc...

But sorry to say it pretty much sucks on the client side. It would prolly have viruses if more major developers did client programs for it.

The virus kiddies don't really care about old OS's ... You wont see anyone trying to mess with XP or 98SE anymore, they are to busy trying to destroy what everyone is using, and that ain't Linux.

I prefer Slackware with no Xwindows myself if I'm running a server..

To call Linux an "old OS" is just plain ignorant... Do you even know how cononical does it's version numbers? Ubuntu 16.04 means it came out April 2016. They do a new Long Term Support (or LTS) version every two years, and have intermediate releases every 6 months. So that means there is also 16.10 and 17.04 as well, but they're not LTS versions. Next LTS version will be 18.04 in April 2018. It is very widely used, but yes, not nearly to the point of windows. I actually use it very successfully as my primary operating system, but it depends on your use. I do programming, so it is very easy/useful to run everything in linux, and makes it easier to transfer to servers. It's not great for graphics. Slackware is good, I personally prefer Ubuntu for a desktop environment, and Debian for a server environment. I know a lot of people don't like unity, but, it actually is kinda nice when you get used to it. However, linux mint is rapidly gaining favor, and I hear cinnamon is a great window manager. 

Guest Mulan

Most of the world's web servers, every single Android device, PlayStation, Chrome OS... just to name a few, all use variations of Linux. Mac OS and every single iOS device uses UNIX which is what Linux is based off. It is safe to say that Linux is much more widely used and much more relevant to the future of computing than Windows. Windows barely goes beyond the desktop PC. Linux is the standard in servers and Apple and Google ate their lunch in phones and tablets.

Kids are using Chromebooks at schools these days, or iPads. Within a generation, Windows will be irrelevant. What is saving Windows now is gaming, status quo, and not many people use an OS like Ubuntu or Mint so you don't get apps like Photoshop.

in fact a very old and classic discussion.

I'm just happy that there are still some options left besides the big 3 datacollecting companies that ofc only want all of our best ;):D

So...use whatever you want to and fullfills your personal needs regarding an OS and just be happy :)

lol didn't expect a linux vs. whatever discussion to emerge :)

just one thing: what we're currently seeing is a radical move towards browser based applications. HTML5, CSS3, WebSockets on the one hand and WebGL on the other hand is what will mean an end to most "classical" desktop applications, including games (and desktop operating systems). The browsers are already becoming the cornerstone of anything we do with a computer.

So you may laugh at any "(old) desktop operating system", because they're all doomed.

At the bottom line, with almost unlimited Internet bandwidth, the IT industry is reinventing the old mainframe idea on a global scale.

For the time being: use what you are happy with and what causes you as little headache as possible.

Wait.... did you say "emerge"????

Gentoo? Noooo way... have some more hobbies than just compiling ;) haha

Kidding ofc and NOT bashing Gentoo.

Linux's biggest advantage is its variety. At same time also its biggest disadvantage.

Lol, yeah, apparently. 

And absolutely, papers could be written on how prevalent linux is in the industry, yet, how relatively unknown it is to the general public. I think a lot of that comes from the different linux distributions. Ubuntu (and its variants, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, etc...), Fedora, RHEL, Mint, DSL, Slackware, Debian, far too many to name. And then of course, there is Android. 

Linux master race! :P

Linux is prolly the oldest OS out there...Neilquinn. Its just plain ignorant to state otherwise.

Do some research...Ubuntu WAS not the first Linux (matter of fact its the newest version) or the only Linux. Versions of Linux have been around even before the public internet and were developed as a hobbyist open-source version of UNIX. Before the invasion of the internet by the masses, people used a extremely slow dial-up modem to connect to a C-Shell on Linux and Unix systems run at University, There was No World Wide Web and there was no graphical interface. So before you start spouting off about it you should really know what you are talking about..

Guest Mulan

Linux is prolly the oldest OS out there...Neilquinn. Its just plain ignorant to state otherwise.

Do some research...Ubuntu WAS not the first Linux (matter of fact its the newest version) or the only Linux. Versions of Linux have been around even before the public internet and were developed as a hobbyist open-source version of UNIX. Before the invasion of the internet by the masses, people used a extremely slow dial-up modem to connect to a C-Shell on Linux and Unix systems run at University, There was No World Wide Web and there was no graphical interface. So before you start spouting off about it you should really know what you are talking about..

Linux was created in September 1991, Mac OS in 1984, and Windows in 1985. So Linux is in fact the youngest OS out of the three. The WWW was invented in 1989, released to the general public in August 1991, so Linux came after the WWW. You are referring to UNIX. Linux is based off UNIX, but Linux is actually a recursive acronym for Linux Is Not Unix. It is Unix-like.