3DXChat Community

translator

wolvie44

But i think is really important to learn english.

Please don't say that.

Please say: It is really important to learn a foreign language. :)  Because it's really important that everyone learn more than one language. And learn to appreciate the differences in the cultures of countries where those languages are spoken and their own countries.

After all, "une femme française" speaking English is still une femme française.  (People who know me will understand why that is supposed to be humorous.) :)

There are two things that make 3DX a great place for me. First is that people of any sexual identity are welcome here. Second is that people are welcome to speak any language here.

. . . gets down, picks up my soap box, and goes home until next Sunday . . .

Please don't say that.

Please say: It is really important to learn a foreign language. :)  Because it's really important that everyone learn more than one language. And learn to appreciate the differences in the cultures of countries where those languages are spoken and their own countries.

After all, "une femme française" speaking English is still une femme française.  (People who know me will understand why that is supposed to be humorous.) :)

There are two things that make 3DX a great place for me. First is that people of any sexual identity are welcome here. Second is that people are welcome to speak any language here.

. . . gets down, picks up my soap box, and goes home until next Sunday . . .

Sure :lol:

I just say that, is just an advice.

Second is that people are welcome to speak any language here.

+1 ;)

I find Google translator can get it pretty wrong on a regular basis and you just end up looking like a dork half the time. Especially if you are trying to Translate something sexy.  Whenever i try translating English to Swedish with google my Wife laughs her ass off at whatever i just typed. It is embarrassing and I think google just likes trolling everyone... Mind you the best way to actually learn a language is through trial and error and making mistakes and getting corrected so i guess it evens out. I have learned a lot with both . 

I prefer Elan Translator. It gets it right way more then google. Also some pretty good apps for the phone to. I-translate and a few others lets you use voice and translates that. So you can just talk to it.

http://www.elanlanguages.com/en/free-translation

Here is demo . Elan Vs Google. its pretty funny if you can understand it that is. . haha

• 1 year later...

HI:There has to be a way to be able to translate any language that is spoken in world chat and local chat to my official language-English- automatically and vice versa(French to English, English to French , etc. ).This should be a built in program that specifically works in 3dxchat. I hope  the developers read this.

HI:There has to be a way to be able to translate any language that is spoken in world chat and local chat to my official language-English- automatically and vice versa(French to English, English to French , etc. ).This should be a built in program that specifically works in 3dxchat. I hope  the developers read this.

Possible it will never implemented. Imagine what will happen if the translator fail and some offensive things are coming out... and all see different versions. A source for much drama. And you can't use translator API's for free from a commercial product, means 3dx would need a license which isn't cheap. So I think you will still need to use a translator by yourself.

BTW if you click on a line in the chat its get automatically copied and you can easily paste it into the translation field of Google Translate or similar tools. So its pretty easy and straight forward.

An alternative for some languages is https://www.deepl.com/translator 

The results are much better as with google in most cases! 

3dxchat is a worldwide game , so 3dx should have a license to be able to do this automatically , without using a outside translator . How often does a translator fail? Using an outside translator would be a pain to use, that's why it should be done automatically.

I find Google translator can get it pretty wrong on a regular basis and you just end up looking like a dork half the time. Especially if you are trying to Translate something sexy.  Whenever i try translating English to Swedish with google my Wife laughs her ass off at whatever i just typed. It is embarrassing and I think google just likes trolling everyone... Mind you the best way to actually learn a language is through trial and error and making mistakes and getting corrected so i guess it evens out. I have learned a lot with both . 

I prefer Elan Translator. It gets it right way more then google. Also some pretty good apps for the phone to. I-translate and a few others lets you use voice and translates that. So you can just talk to it.

http://www.elanlanguages.com/en/free-translation

Here is demo . Elan Vs Google. its pretty funny if you can understand it that is. . haha

haha was so funny 

The problem with using an outside translator is that you can't possibily keep up with the converstation that's currently going on,World chat can go pretty fast. That's why it should be built into the game itself and do it automatically.

That's why it should be built into the game itself and do it automatically.

Can you name any games that already do this?  There might be some, for all I know. And if there are, I would like to hear from people who have actually used them about their experience.

But speaking as someone who has been translating and interpreting professionally for more than 20 years, let me explain just the two main reasons why I think this is a pipe dream.

Cost

It might be free for individuals to go to a webpage, input some text, and get a translation. But it would not be free for SexGameDevil to implement such a system. There would be significant costs involved in implementing and operating such a system. These costs would make an already pricey subscription to 3DX even more so.

Poor translations are worthless

It is hard enough for a human being to translate a well written sentence. And there are a number of things that are common in ordinary conversation that an automatic translator cannot translate well.  Puns, jokes, and other idiomatic expressions do not translate well. Abbreviations and slang do not translate well. And typos cannot be translated at all. So, the bottom line is that time spent wondering what a translation means is time you can't spend interacting with your friends.

Also, on a personal note, having had several close relationships on 3DX with people who did not speak English well, my own experience is that using a automatic translator is not sufficient to communicate well with someone.  It just doesn't cut it. 

Google has an API for using google in translating your own website.

It is done in java scripts so I think it may be able to be incorporated into the game as Unity can use java script.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<div id="google_translate_element"></div><script type="text/javascript">
function googleTranslateElementInit() {
  new google.translate.TranslateElement({pageLanguage: 'en', layout: google.translate.TranslateElement.InlineLayout.SIMPLE}, 'google_translate_element');
}
</script><script type="text/javascript" src="//translate.google.com/translate_a/element.js?cb=googleTranslateElementInit"></script>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With a little bit of work I think it may be able to make it so you select your own language and any text that comes up is converted by google to that language.

It doesn't appear to be against any of googles terms of service, but a full look in would be advised, I know a few years ago it wouldn't have but I only had a quick look through before I posted this.

Edited to add...

I had a quick look to see if anything comes up for using google translate in text boxes and heaps come up, so I think it is entirely possible and looks fairly easy to do.

Well shit. Twiggy googled some simple code that's tangentially related again...must be super-easy.  B)

We have actually used that API in a website, 3 or 4 years ago, is how I knew it was there.

I can read it and see what each part does, can you ?

If all you can do is make smart ass comments like that to what I say, keep your mouth shut.

If on the other hand you ever have anything intelligent to say by all means do so.

If you feel I do not know anything about what I have said, also by all means point it out, show me where I am wrong, but if not please stop trying to discredit what I say.

From what you have shown of yourself I would say you know nothing of how the google API can or can't be used.

Someone had mentioned how hard it would be to put a translator into the textbox, like it would involve creating one from scratch, I have simply tried to show there is a good chance the whole thing does not have to be created, that it is possible google translate can be used, what is so wrong with doing that.

It is very much related to what is being talked about in this thread.

You once before did this, and claimed you are a programmer, well tell us how this cannot be done, show us your knowledge instead of just claiming you have it.

As I said before, from what I can see, and yes looking through google, the API has been accessed for other text chat programs and used to do exactly what people are asking for here, it uses java, and I also know you can use Java in Unity, so my opinion, there is a good chance it can be used here.

Tell me, are you one of these guys that thinks because I am a woman I can't possibly know anything about computers.

If I was a guy would you be throwing this crap at me ?

You really should lighten up. I especially love the implication that I'm just a misogynist at the end. But then again...this is 3dx...so the probability of you being a guy is very near to 1, so my response being solely because you're 'a woman' is pretty nonsensical.

The reason I respond to you is because I find it amusing how you're so desperate to prove you're so knowledgeable, and then just google some sample script and post it.

What you copy-pasted is javascript...the script you posted is meant for a website. I really shouldn't need to explain why that is not going work, but do I?

Unity does not support JS or even Java as you claim. It only supports C#. (Which means your pre-built JS function isn't going to work...obviously. A C# library does exist, more on that below...)

From the Unity website:

"What programming languages can you use in Unity?

Unity supports C#, an industry-standard language with some similarities to Java or C++."  https://unity3d.com/programming-in-unity (Link provided in case you think I'm just lying because I hate women.)

Furthermore, Google is not just going to let you use their service FOR FREE on a platform that you charge money for. They have licensing in place for this:

https://cloud.google.com/translate/pricing

But...if you're such an expert on their API, surely, you should have known that. Also, this is where the C# library is obtained.

Check the API and References section. The C# library requires authentication via an API key, and is most definitely not free. Translation with this method is definitely do-able, but not nearly as simple as you try and make it sound.

Congratulations, you learned how to use google, but have also shown just how much you do not know.

Unity uses it's own scripting language called unityscript, it is like a converted javascript, and C#, with unityscript being 90% javascript, most of javascript will work directly in unity for simple calls.

When you have some javascript that will not work you compile it and then convert it to a DLL, save that in your assets then create a call to that DLL using C#.

Would you like me to tell you how to do that, it may be a little hard to find in google.

Who said it was for free, yes there is a cost to it depending on how much you get converted every month.

The cost is very minimal, with how much it would be used here it would be lucky to go into the hundreds of dollars each month.

Well worth it for what it offers.

Oh and the scripting I showed is the direct scripting supplied when you use the create code button on the google website, not just some scripting I found.

Yes it is used to add to your website to translate that page, I think I even mentioned that.

But the call functions that would be required to be used are in there, so I just showed that as anyone that knows what they are talking about would see that.

I also mentioned I googled and found lots of posts where others had used it for translation in text chat boxes, then said that makes it very likely that it can be done.

I am not saying it is definite, would have to do my own experimenting to find that out, but I am saying it is very likely.

Congratulations, you learned how to use google, but have also shown just how much you do not know.

Unity uses it's own scripting language called unityscript, it is like a converted javascript, and C#, with unity script being 90% javascript, most of javascript will work directly in unity for simple calls.

When you have some javascript that will not work you compile it and then convert it to a DLL, save that in your assets then create a call to that DLL using C#.

Would you like me to tell you how to do that, it may be a little hard to find in google.

Who said it was for free, yes there is a cost to it depending on how much you get converted every month.

The cost is very minimal, with how much it would be used here it would be lucky to go into the hundreds of dollars each month.

Well worth it for what it offers.

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2017/08/11/unityscripts-long-ride-off-into-the-sunset/

UnityScript was removed a year ago, Unity only supports C# now. Already looked into that. (3dx may be using an older version sure...but sticking with UnityScript would essentially prevent 3dx from using newer versions and is probably not a great idea.)

And UnityScript from what I can see is not Javascript. It is sort of a fork of Javascript, but it isn't the same language and doesn't have the same capabilities.

I'll admit DLLs are a bit foreign to me. I don't do Windows work since it's entirely too slow to accomplish the kind of work that I do. (Scientific Research, and more recently financial processing for a very large organization.)

Also, I'm not really sure the 100's of dollars each month assessment would be true. (That pricing is in characters, not words, or even lines.)

If the server requested the translation then every bit of text on every single channel and PM's  would have to be translated into every other available language (or there would need to be a system to be aware of what languages were being spoken in which rooms) and then presented based on language preference of each client. One would get very expensive very quickly, the other would require a good bit of coding.

If the client did the translation then it would be on-demand and probably make more sense, but it would also multiply the number of requests for every foreign speaker in any given room or channel. 

1,000,000 characters might seem like a lot, but it's really not. I'd be willing to bet that 3dx is generating 1,000,000 characters every few minutes. Not all of that would need to be translated, of course.

But, just consider how much translation the client would have to do for all the text scrolling through World Chat every second that it is online...that's going to rack up really fast.

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2017/08/11/unityscripts-long-ride-off-into-the-sunset/

UnityScript was removed a year ago, Unity only supports C# now. Already looked into that. (3dx may be using an older version sure...but sticking with UnityScript would essentially prevent 3dx from using newer versions and is probably not a great idea.)

And UnityScript from what I can see is not Javascript. It is sort of a fork of Javascript, but it isn't the same language and doesn't have the same capabilities.

I'll admit DLLs are a bit foreign to me. I don't do Windows work since it's entirely too slow to accomplish the kind of work that I do. (Scientific Research, and more recently financial processing for a very large organization.)

Well ok, I didn't know unityscript was taken out a year ago, the version of unity we use is older than that.

We don't use it for a game, we use it for 3d presentation software we supply our clients and do not need any new functions, so we haven't bothered with any newer versions.

But I am almost certain it can still be done using DLLs.

I will say here I am sorry for reacting to you the way I have, well mostly anyway.

But I get so sick of guys coming in here trying to say I am full of crap when it comes to my knowledge on these things, and I do really feel it is because I am a woman.

I say that because I have noticed if a guy says anything like it, it seems to just get accepted, if I do it gets questioned every time with comments made like I am talking bs.

Maybe now at least you will accept that I am not just full of bs.

And please don't do what the trolls do in here and have to keep saying that I am most likely not a woman, that is another thing that pisses me off greatly.

Especially as they want to keep insisting it is not a problem for us in here or the game yet they keep doing exactly what they say isn't a problem.

I am a woman, and it is a problem for us because we are constantly being told we are most likely not.

tenor.gif