3DXChat Community

How did you get into classical music?

Luxion

It's been two years since I got into classical music. However, I always come back to the "popular" music I liked before that. How do I fully get into classical music? If I stop listening to popular music for some months, would it help? How did you get into this wonderful world?

tag: best ringtone

Edited by Luxion

Well usually we already know many from films or TV - usually the popular section - eg everybody knows Ode to Joy, but many would only know the very short part. So maybe start that way. Find a popular section and listen to the whole piece. 

I liek Beethoven's Piano Concerto nr 5. second and third movement being good. You could watch Fantasia as that is animation to classical music. 

I don't think dropping a type of music for another is the answer, though I guess as you get older your taste matures - though hey I still love Hey Micky 

• 3 years later...

I grew up listening to it. My dad would play it in the car, in the house, everywhere. He listened to classic rock on occasion as well. When I was a teenager I rebelled a bit and got into to hard rock and metal, went way deep into stuff like Metallica and then more progressive like Dream Theater. By my mid 20s I really started embracing new music, blues, jazz, soul, funk, and even getting back into all the music my dad would play, so J.S. Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Chopin, Dvorak, Grieg, Mahler, Mozart, Rachmaninov, Schubert, Shostakovich, Tchaikovsky, Vivaldi. There is definitely more I could explore, but Dvorak’s Symphony No. 9 in E Minor is a favourite of mine.

Speaking of rock and metal. One of my favourite Metallica albums is their collaboration with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra (RIP Michael Kamen). The music from Ride the Lightening and Master of Puppets really goes well with a symphony. Check out The Call of Ktulu and For Whom the Bell Tolls. The originals are heavy and epic, but the orchestra version just takes it to another level of heavy and epic for me. The track No Leaf Clover which they released only on this album is also one of my favourite Metallica songs. It is also probably the last album before Lars Ulrich drum sound went to complete shit (St. Anger LOL). I would love to hear more styles of music with a full orchestra, although I do understand that paying 100+ musicians is not really practical for most bands and not everyone has the music to match.

Edited by Mulan

I'd suggest opening it out a bit and approach it as orchestral music rather than 'classical'. That takes you into soundtracks and even into rock, from which you can find what you enjoy more and follow it down the rabbit hole (Mozart, for example, is very different from Rimsky-Korsakov). I fell into the more classical stuff through childhood exposure, but found my way into opera through cartoons, believe it or not!

For example, here's a little Wagner (and this very cartoon was what started me off without even realising it).

I was raised by grandparents, one being Italian and the other being 1/2 Cuban, so you can only  imagine how volatile the atmosphere could be, and at a constant. He had these really huge speakers in each of the corners of our living room and would play Mozart and Mantovani at excessive levels, singing loudly in his Connecticut brand of Italian. We lived central to two barrios so the music wasn't popular with our neighbors either. I grew to thoroughly hate anything related until app. 13 years ago when the Scandi countries were pushing a lot of Gothic Metal and I loved it so much I began a two-year stint of freelance music journalism.

I like strings now, but I particularly love the vocals. ♥ Vibeke Stene!

3 minutes ago, DustyWibbles said:

My grandmother loved Mantovani. I was sadly introduced to him through her last days when I recorded her favourite Mantovani pieces from Vinyl to Cassette so she could listen at the hospice. He’s not my favourite but I can appreciate why Giagia adored him. 

Excuse the melancholy reply, it brought back fond memories. :)

Oh, I hope you enjoyed the bouncy castle the other day ;) lol

The music itself is often hand-in-hand with melancholy, right? It's that phukked up stuff that makes us all real, even in spite of ourselves. So ^5 your post!

Yes, it was lots of fun. I even liked that dorky dance move and watching the guys bounce their .. ya. 😅

Edited by PluushPuussy
Typo/Clarification.

• 8 months later...