3DXChat Community

Offline messages in 2.0

AnyNameWillDo

So I download the new beta patch yesterday and discovered a new feature; offline private messaging. Some time later that day an email arrived to the account which I registered 3DX telling me someone had sent me a private message. There was no content, so I had to log in to read what was written. This, of course, might change and the body of the text could be included in the future.

I have some reservations. When I log out.... I log out. Anyone I wish to speak to, or communicate with, out of game I do via Skype or similar and do so through choice: both on my part and that of the other person.

I worry this new feature will not enhance connections between good friends but may allow less well-meaning players a method to harass others, even when they are not in-game.

It also undermines privacy - I'm sure there are number of people who play who don't wish their RL connections to know, and an email entitled '3DX Chat' is indiscreet.  Of course, you can spam the email but I'm uneasy about the principle of letting anyone on your friends list message you out of game. Sometimes, we all have people on that list we keep there rather than remove, because of the hassle doing so might cause, and would certainly not want that connection to spill into real life.

I wasn't a big fan of being able to PM people in different locations within the game when that was introduced but I can see why others might like it. I would have preferred it limited to one PM from other locations and treat it like a cell phone. Sometimes being alone with someone in there is practically impossible.

But this I feel, is a step too far and is taking the game in a direction which makes me a little uneasy. What next, I wonder?

Thoughts?

i see it as a good thing, there have been many times i wanted to get a message to a friend when they werent online and the only way i had to do that was a gift.

Yeah, and I can see that, and it's appeal in that respect. But what if that person doesn't want to take your connection out of game? The people I am close to - who I want to communicate with IRL - I have shared email addresses with and the like.

I take it the little red envelope next to where you select to play when you 1st log in means you have a message, I click on that and nothing happens.

Also how do we send an offline message, I have been looking for it everywhere.

And yes I agree with you ANWD, we need to be able to turn off pms from anywhere to, especially in this place where we are often getting busy and don't want to be disturbed.

Some people take offense when you don't answer a pm.

I take it the little red envelope next to where you select to play when you 1st log in means you have a message, I click on that and nothing happens.

Also how do we send an offline message, I have been looking for it everywhere.

And yes I agree with you ANWD, we need to be able to turn off pms from anywhere to, especially in this place where we are often getting busy and don't want to be disturbed.

Some people take offense when you don't answer a pm.

I think you just select a PM and type away the click send. I know for sure, this is indicated to the recipient by an email saying 3DX Chat, Twiggy has sent you a private message.

*And it's Slick, remember? :P

Lol, I met a Slick in the game, I asked if it was you. I guess we may have to find a new one for for you.

If the offline message thing works how I think it should, then it doesn't work for me.

If I open the profile of someone offline it wont let me click on pm, it's blacked out and not clickable.

Lol, I met a Slick in the game, I asked if it was you. I guess we may have to find a new one for for you.

If the offline message thing works how I think it should, then it doesn't work for me.

If I open the profile of someone offline it wont let me click on pm, it's blacked out and not clickable.

Damn, I liked Slick. Who's stolen my name(s)? Yeah I have that thing with PMs when some are clickable for PMs and others not. Right now when I look at my friends list all are available to send a message to but I know what you mean. A glitch maybe?

my friend had this problem. A complete reinstall fixed it. :x

clickable on 2.0, but blacked out in 1.0, for me. I just checked....

I worry this new feature will not enhance connections between good friends but may allow less well-meaning players a method to harass others, even when they are not in-game.

Offline messages work only between friends in the game. You can remove bad guy from your friend list and be cool.

It also undermines privacy - I'm sure there are number of people who play who don't wish their RL connections to know, and an email entitled '3DX Chat' is indiscreet.

You can turn off email notifications for private messages. There are 2 simply ways to do it:

1) Chat Settings in the game

HNicMw2.png

2) Link at the bottom of each email notification

AgJk5nN.png

i see it as a good thing, there have been many times i wanted to get a message to a friend when they werent online and the only way i had to do that was a gift.

It may have been said further down but you can also use forum emails or dedicated threads to speak to players who are not online, rather than sending a gift although sending a gift is probably the best way to get their attention.

I walked two friends through upgrading to 2.0 by having forum discussions with them since the forum does not require you to be signed into the game the entire time.

Offline messages work only between friends in the game. You can remove bad guy from your friend list and be cool.

You can turn off email notifications for private messages. There are 2 simply ways to do it:

1) Chat Settings in the game

HNicMw2.png

2) Link at the bottom of each email notification

AgJk5nN.png

Yeah, thanks for that, part of which has already been pointed out in this thread. The red arrows help though...

And yes, it's good there's two ways to opt out but still I'm not at one with the direction of travel, with which the game is merging ever closer into RL. That said, most people seem happy with it (or don't have strong feelings against it), so if that's the case, all good.

Yeah, thanks for that, part of which has already been pointed out in this thread. The red arrows help though...

And yes, it's good there's two ways to opt out but still I'm not at one with the direction of travel, with which the game is merging ever closer into RL. That said, most people seem happy with it (or don't have strong feelings against it), so if that's the case, all good.

As one person who is uber cautious with stuff from here not touching IRL I dont see how offline PM's are merging the game close to RL. About Emails... noone else gets to see my mails, and when you dont want boyfriend / girlfriend to see it you should use an email adress created for this. Theres endless possibilities.

So as I said. I am sorry I am not seeing your concerns.

I worked with the phone company for a decade and was convinced that people's greatest needs are

1) To be reachable for important communication anywhere and anytime.

2) To NOT be reachable anywhere and anytime.

Thus the whole genre of call-waiting, call blocking, voicemail, do not spam, do not call, specialty ringing, etc. was born. As technology continues to advance, the battle to be reached and not to be reached will always continue.

I changed the DLL back and the offline messaging works now, also the little thing comes up in the text box when someone is typing.

I don't have the latest version of the dll though

As one person who is uber cautious with stuff from here not touching IRL I dont see how offline PM's are merging the game close to RL. About Emails... noone else gets to see my mails, and when you dont want boyfriend / girlfriend to see it you should use an email adress created for this. Theres endless possibilities.

So as I said. I am sorry I am not seeing your concerns.

Well, it's not a massive worry, a concern like you say. When I first joined 3DX, you could only PM people you could see, then it changed to being able to PM anyone online. Now you can PM people offline. This is what I mean by the direction of travel.

Personally, when I log out, I like to step out of the virtual totally. Thanks to the tips from Gizmo and Akali, it's clear I can still do this. I suppose it surprised me a little when I looked in at email on my phone and saw *xxxx* has PM'd you on 3DX... and was like 'wtf??!?'

Right at the end of the OP I asked for 'thoughts' because I wanted to see if I was over-reacting compared to others. Seems I was. Ces't moi :P

PS: Nikki.... Über - great word, in my all-time top ten.

I must agree with ANWD ,I worry that now the Privacy is undermined in a very silly and not necessary way.

First I want you to remember that in a anonymizied Sex Game no one is May be nice We never know ,or will know.

Second the Email you make able to post to is the half Login data.

The question in now and I want a answer from you Gizmo, is the recipient able to see these email Origin or what does it look like?

If so this is no fun anymore, and many ppl will feel unsecure then.

And why the hell must We the players watch out to have secure Privacy, or worry about it

For me this update is one of the most disappointing in the xchat history ,and listen I am since 2013 in Game .

So I want please a answer to my simple question , can the Sender of the offline Post see our xchat Login account Mail?

Yours sincerly

Thana

Guest TrixyTrump

Thana, I am not Gizmo

But, it is 3dx, that is sending you the e-mail, if you do not choose to opt out.

The sender of the message DOES NOT see your e-mail address.

You DO NOT see the e-mail address of the sender.

And if you do not want someone to be able to send you a PM while off line, then that person really should not be on your friends list IMHO!

Trixy

if you dont want offline messages, just disable it. im not sure how or why anyone can view that as prying into your personal life. a vast majority has been asking for this forever. as far as the email messages, its no diff then getting emails when someone pms you in forum or quotes your message

Trixy is 100 percent right, the emails arent even from the people, they are automated from 3dx. 

You're right of course, but the ability to opt out of the offline PMs and disable emails wasn't clear to me at first until someone pointed this out soon after I posted. Then Gismo showed exactly how with a couple of pictures. I guess having it pointed out again does no harm for clarity, though...

Well if you players believe in the absolute Security of such a game it is funny for me.

I tell you the normal way How ingame messages work in Well Programme Games.

There you have a ingame Mailbox ,can also be virtuell ,you can open and check the Mails you have got in your absence.

Then a game dont need a uncommon and in my opinion latent unsafe way.

Again the game uses now your half Login datas to make able ppl make mails to your private official secret Personal Mail.

How easy could it be to let them see more? Sorry I want to show you the thread of this feature.

Game is Game ,Look at many profiles of ppl ,most say no real life contact ,no close things,no Mail,nada.

Why do you all think this is like it is?

The Game Deals with a delicate, dubiuous ,online Sex matter, which ppl wana do,but anonymously.

But you smart ppl know this as well.

So such a game must be internal have safe Personal data structure, to ensure you can have fun.

So don't accecpt easily what you get so quickly as wonderful solution.

For me it is no good ,and I am sure also for many others too.

Thana

rob, couldnt u have answered a few mins earlier!?! would have saved some lifetime hahahaa
ahoi, first, i dont get this "paranoia" or the "fuss" made about this feature at all, or i just simply get ya wrong or probably, some ppl maybe get it wrong!!

1)

• if somebody doesnt want any offline messages INGAME -> SIMPLY TURN IT OFF!!

HNicMw2.png

2)

• if one doesnt want to receive an email notifications outside of the game, that is actually, finally a very cool feature now at last -> THEN SIMPLY TURN IT OFF!!

AgJk5nN.png
3)

Second the Email you make able to post to is the half Login data.

So I want please a answer to my simple question , can the Sender of the offline Post see our xchat Login account Mail?

19z1fz.jpg

and as u can see in the pics below, it shows nada personal stuff, nothing, nichts, niente muchacha!! why should it do that in anycase!?
 YejdCVb.jpg

peaple are receiving emails daily since years from our forumboard at 3dx and forums all over the world, ofc reagrding whatever one has enbaled in ones own forumaccount settings! for example I ONLY TURNED OFF email-notifications of memberstauts- updates! simply know quiet a huge amount of ppl here and there was sporadicly just to much dramas sometiems to see in my mailclient at home of others, that i actually didnt wanna hear, see or evn read in my free lifetime, once i wasnt in the game at all and im not that often in the game itself online meanwhile in anycase!! but, private pms, post likes, friendrequests and notifications of topics that i follow, or whatever, i simply just get as a mail WITH NOW PERSONAL INFOS OF THE PEEPS!!

paranoia.jpg?id=81807496

and as you can see above, in this or in the pictures below (and edit: as robt wrote also above now): neither in this, or in any kind of forum on this planet: no priv ingame-messagesystem shows "personal data" of any senders and will ever been shown! so, same here with our new offline notification features also ===>  no privat email adresses, accountinfos or whatever are SHOWN OF ANY SENDER OR DESPATCHER in a received notice that one gets!

and btw,

ppl at 3dx have been using and doing this all the freakn time already since years with offline ingame messages through our forumboardsofware and now one simply just can do it from inside of the game - directly to the recipient with a few letters atleast (guess 255 max) that can be received ingame or as an notification in your mailclient on ur pc or at ur emailprovider received and read in maybe a browser, but outside of the game! for sure, it wont ever replace the private personal forum messenger, but finally, that what atleast 75% of ppl of the comm or even nearly all always wanted, now is possible directly in the matrix of our game and now also, as an very good, additional feature and service outside of it....lightyears later^^

bottomline and end is: everybody can decide individually how and where he/she wants to receive these offline messeges out of the game now!
who doesnt want and need it, as writtn -> DEAKTIVATE THE SETTINGS ONE DOESNT WISH OR NEED!!! even before this "feature" made it in the game now, i have been telling the ppl since 2014, that they can n could do all of this already from our forumboard @ 3dxchat and send offline messenges, that ppl can receive not only per mail on their pc, but also on any common android, apple or wtf ever mobile device at anytime and anywhere on this freakn planet!!

however and anyway,
who wants to use both new features will, and can do so!! WHO NOT, will simply JUST NOT and deactivate the new features! nobody is forced to use any of them and the power, choise and decision of this, LIES AS ALWAYS AND USUAL, IN EVRYBODIES OWN BLOODY HANDS!!! i for myself, will surley and definetly use it and take advantage of the new feature(s)...although i dont evn need them really, cause once i already have been using other ways to keep in touch with ppl through private forum pm's, blah, mails, skypechats in text or voiceform or with cellphones for years here now at 3dx and nearly soon 2 decades on several differnt teamspeakservers whiles simply using my god damn given tounge and mouth for that! ...but, evrybody as he/she wishes to do so, or simply not!

4)

...I dont see how offline PM's are merging the game close to RL. About Emails... noone else gets to see my mails...

- nice weekend all | over n out -